Intel Shows Xe HPC Multi-Chip Module Die

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    On Twitter Intel is showing a Xe HPC Multi-Chip Module photo, the tweet was made by Ex AMD's Raja Koduri. This is the first picture showing the chip that way as the heat spreader has been taken off....

Intel Shows Xe HPC Multi-Chip Module Die

2. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I'll just leave this slide here hey. Not "glued-together" hey Intel.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

jura11 and Kaarme like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    At least the Intel execs and CEO behind that slide have since been kicked out of the company. Things change when people change.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Isn't their chief propaganda manager still at the company? They're obviously not going to call the job what it is, so they made up some BS title like something "strategist". I forgot the slimy weasel's name but they've been doing such scumbag propaganda that it's actually illegal breaking a ton of regulations and agreements they had based on past lawsuits.

Kaarme likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Considering this design will trickle down to consumers, this is looking pretty good in terms of competition in the future.

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This is going to be exceptional for APU's. I have said it a few times but people are not seeing it yet for the most part. Many gamers will be running APU's in 5-7 years. Just need another node shrink and HBM to come down in cost. Once cost and the node allows to have 8+ core CPU, large GPU, and onboard HBM things are going to get interesting. Intel's approach is extremely elegant far more elegant than AMD's but then AMD has actual chiplets today.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    that's a lot of glue used on that chip !
    in all seriousness this will be really interesting to see how this puppy perform !

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I have no doubt in my mind that a full Intel system is on the horizon. In-fact, we're very close to having full Intel, Nvidia and AMD only systems (gpu and cpu).

Strategically, the final piece of the puzzle for me would be to invest in next-gen memory technology. Perhaps not just a collaboration but an acquisition. That's what I'd do if I was one of the big 3 anyway.

IMHO, Intel is much closer to being able to accomplish this. They already have SSD covered...

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Are you sure about that? If Intel didn't enter the GPU market, they might have tried it, but since supercomputers, and compute heavy servers in general, among other things, rely on GPU power, it's unthinkable they wouldn't have. However, since also Intel will be offering gaming grade video cards, there's no reason to lose that market on purpose. AMD, and Intel in the near future, will make far more money by selling both a CPU and a GPU than an APU alone. Nvidia has, of course, immensely profited from discrete graphics, but they haven't had any say in the CPU market anyway, though I bet they dream of it by trying to buy ARM.

So, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it. It's the way in consoles, but might not be in PCs.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Oh it will. Either AMD or Intel will do it first but its going to happen then the other will follow. We will see the start when AMD has very good APU's on TSMC's 5nm with Zen4 but no integrated HBM. Also when it does happen it will kill the entire mid to low end dGPU market(low end first then second gen will move up the line). If you make APU's and can eat into that high volume lower end dGPU market it will rake in the cash primarily all from Nvidia.

tunejunky likes this.

11. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    oh I really hate this idea, so it definitely is happening

8 zen3 cores + rx5700 perf on a 95w APU would satisfy the vast majority of pc gamers today, soldered-on APUs would come next

JamesSneed and tunejunky like this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then you can say, that AMD branded SSD and memories accomplish this.
    Because it is not like people buy AMD/nVidia GPU. Those two companies leave business to AIBs. And we buy from AIBs.

While process is in reverse here, AIBs sell reference design cards with their stickers even when they did not make cards themselves. Just a box+sticker.
    So, where is the line between owning factory where it is made and ordering parts to be made in 3rd party factory?

Because AMD/nV are fabless anyway, and all that work gets outsourced down to chips themselves.

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes it's elegant.
    BUT it's obviously overly complicated and expensive to manufacture.
    this is still a great example of the "all hands on deck" as a showpiece of Intel's engineering capabilities.
    there are some technologies present that will not see the light of the consumer's day as Intel has employed work arounds to AMD's interpolation technologies. these work arounds (i.e. foveros) are intrinsically limited and cannot "mix and match" like "infinity fabric" (now on 3rd gen) and thus add an element of cost and production difficulty.

it will take a lot of overpriced (and overmatched by AMD) server sales for the manufacturing cost of this to trickle down. in the meantime AMD will be taking ever larger chunks out of the market with better technology. but Intel "ain't dead yet".

14. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    So, whats' the over and under on the number of pins in that socket?

"Yo! Careful with that chip, Eugene..."

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    What is that from?\

16. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    /OFFTOPIC

U M M A G U M M A
    [​IMG]

(I feel my leg might be being pulled a bit, here...)

/RETURNTOTOPIC

tunejunky likes this.
  17. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I didn't say I like it. Its very much where things are headed. However on die memory is going to be the only way to really see an
    Agree. Intel has some great long term plans but I feel like they haven't learned from AMD and TSMC. The complexity of designs and manufacturing is off the charts. A slow but constant evolution seems to be working very well for both AMD and TSMC. Versus Intel's approach which is trying to go big or go home.

tunejunky likes this.