MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Correct, sorry, it is reporting 0.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Fan stop is a part of firmware fan control implementation and it remains active on NV side if you engage this mode.

tfam26 likes this.
  3. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Ok, so I tested it in AC: Valhalla and Afterburner is just straight up ignoring my custom fan curve in firmware mode even with Afterburner open.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, tried switching to kernel mode etc.

4. residentour

residentour Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Asus GPU tweak can open something that I don't know but after adjusting voltages and freqs even with Adrenalin control panel >Tuning control> Automatic/Default, it accepts the new settings. Then I uninstall Asus Gpu Tweak and open After Burner and it works too. You may monitor and add what is going on background for using at Automatic/default. Thanks.

5. Unwinder

i have no ideas what else are you doing wrong or misunderstanding, sorry.

tfam26 likes this.
  6. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

All gravy man, thanks for trying to help me. Leaving Afterburner running in the background isn't what I'd consider terrible. :)

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

What could be the cause of this in the monitoring?
    I'm getting it on the last couple of betas, since I've switched to 3080 for my primary GPU.

8. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Thanks for the update @Unwinder the firmware fan control option works great on my Strix 3080!

9. Unwinder

No ideas I'm afraid, clocks are reported by driver and displayed as is. I'd assume it is Ampere specific power saving, but I don't see such behavior eirther on my 3090 or on my 3070.

10. Unrul3r-PT

Unrul3r-PT Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8GB
    Thank you for bringing back zero rpm mode for user defined fan curves in the latest update!

I have a small problem though. Every time I restart, I have to untoggle and re-toggle the user-defined fan curves button for it to kick in. It seems to start as some sort of automatic curve which has the minimum at 30%, then I untoggle and retoggle and it goes to 0% as it is supposed to. This even happened when I didn't use user-defined fan curve. I was expecting for the card's fan curve with zero rpm to be in use but it was an automatic AB one. With this setup I did the inverse, I toggled and then untoggled the user-defined button and it applied the card's curve which includes zero rpm correctly. (RTX 3070)

Edit: Force fan update solves this problem.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can it be related to the fact that the polling time on the core clock is somewhat on the upper side here (for whatever reason; has always been like this for me on 3080)?

[​IMG]

12. _coRey_

_coRey_ Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    You are not the only one, I have the same issue, every other game/program works just fine but AC Valhalla straight up ignores my fan curve and it goes down to lowest RPM
    I have Gaming X Trio 2080 Super

13. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    See bolded part.

Requires Ampere. (30xx series)

I can confirm on Ampere works perfectly fine. It won't work on Turing for you no matter what.

tfam26 likes this.
  14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Hello Alexey, I hope you're doing better!
    Thank you very much for this awesome update.

May I make a request?
    Any possible chance you can consider adding effective clocks support in the future now that the register is available?
    Martin of hwinfo found the register which reads it and added it to HWinfo.

Apologies if you answered this before.

effective_clocks_hwinfo.jpg

15. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

MSI RTX 3080 here, and its not working. Firmware mode just sticks to the cards default fan curve.

Tried a clean install of AB and about every menu option. But as I stated, not really a big deal having AB run in the background.

Is there anything in particular you have checked in AB settings? I tried kernel mode and resetting the fan curve. Nothing seems to work.

16. Unwinder

There are no any effective clocks. Those are nothing but PLL clocks monitored by a couple decades old interface from original RivaTuner era. And it is also unlockabe to power users in MSI AB.

Falkentyne likes this.
  17. Unwinder

Learn how to use and TEST it properly, use 1-to-1 temperature to fan speed mapping. Kernel mode has less than zero relation to it.

18. Unwinder

All

There will be minor updates of both RTSS 7.3.0 Beta 10 and MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 5 in a few hours. Reason is simple: GlobalSign, our digital signature provider, just declared that they retired their SHA1 timestamping servers since yesterday, Jan 27 2021. So we're following the changes and also recompiling both RTSS and MSI AB then sign them via different GlobalSign timestamping servers. RTSS is exactly the same source code, but we just recompiled it to increment build number and simplify proper version identification. Updated MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 5 will additionally contain one minor functionality upgrade for AMD 6800/6900 users: now it internally switches "Tuning control" to "Manual" mode automatically, so it is not necessary to do it yourself in Adrenalin control panel. And of course it will contain updated RTSS 7.3.0 Beta 10 bundled with it.

Haldi, toyo, The1 and 5 others like this.
  19. Unwinder

Also, there is BIG request to sites like Videocardz and ComputerBase, who monitor this thread and constantly launch our development betas to news and making them downloaded massively. Don't you think that we could easily post it in news here, on Guru3D, if we wanted to make development betas available to larger user base? We DO NOT do it to prevent betas from being lauched massively, we intentionally try to provide it to limited user base, who actively read and understand this thread.

20. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Thank you for the reply. Now I remember you did mention that before!