ASUS B450 boards apparently support PCIe 4.0 now

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by NEP6XSBW, Jan 27, 2021.

1. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  2. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Can confirm, although I wasn't aware it wasn't

B450-cpuz.jpg

It seems that PCI-E 4 gives a bit more speed, my shiny new 3060 supports 4 I see. It arrives tomorrow so I am a happy puppy :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh boy... asus breaking b450's again.

4. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Try it out when you get it tomorrow and report back how it runs in 4.0 mode.

Do you happen to have a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD, by any chance?

5. Ener

Ener Member

GPU:
    1660S
    Its probably just a CPU-Z bug or it's just reporting what the processor supports. It shows pcie 4.0 on my abandoned x370 crosshair VI motherboard too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  6. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Is pci4 ram much faster
    a Crucial CT256MX100ssd1

7. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Possibly.

However, that motherboard did receive a BIOS update late last year.

Also, there was someone back in 2019 who discovered PCIe 4.0 support on their x370:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdw9zo/pcie_gen4_on_gigabyte_x370_f41b_bios/

8. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's a SATA SSD.

You should run a 3DMark test when you get your 3060 to see if you're really getting PCIe 4.0 bandwidth.

9. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Where can I see if it has?

10. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can try the 3DMark PCIe feature test, or just see what GPU-Z reports.

11. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    CPU-z bug apparently.

[​IMG]

12. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Users on 300/400 series chip set boards:
    If you find out you are linking @ pci-e 4.0 to either a SSD or your video board...
    You need to check your Windows logs under Administrative tools or whatever the heck it's called (it's been a little bit), and make sure you aren't getting unrecoverable errors on the PCI-E 4.0 bus. It will show it via the logs periodically. If you aren't getting instability of any sort you may be safe to ignore it, but if you are, enter your BIOS and set PCI-E 3.0 negotiation as max link negotiation speed.
    The 400 series was originally to support PCI-E 4.0 with the 3000 and beyond processors. However, due either to an oversight or just not knowing how feeble the PCI-E 4.0 signal is VS PCI-E 3.0, the signal integrity can be compromised on some boards on some ports, some boards on all ports, or some boards on NO ports (meaning: 100% fine). There will end up being too much jitter (imprecision) in the signal if you try to run it too far on a board not designed around the final version of the PCI-E 4.0 protocol, where and when it was known how many re-drivers and such it would need every so-often to ensure signal integrity.
    This, in a nutshell (not having enough redrivers, parallel ground wires and such), is why some intel 400-series boards (not AMD as I was speaking in the above paragraph) won't always support PCI-E 4.0 while others may support it fine.
    Consult updated board documentation, and browse forums, and check change-logs on (all!) BIOS revisions to nail down if you've got none/unsupported/good/great/complete PCI-E 4.0 capability still on your board, and what BIOS revision will be needed to enable it. If it was enabled in one BIOS revision and then later disabled, it's likely it wasn't rock solid so you should not use it even if you have a BIOS version that does. There is nothing PCI-E 4.0 will provide you that will be worth random instabilities that you may incur with a non-500 series chip set + PCI-E 4.0.

Some boards will fare better than others, and it's possible what is hooked up to PCI-E 4.0 can change how well it works or doesn't work.
    NO 300 or 400 series boards will be able to have PCI-E 4.0 on the south end of the board, due to the chip set link being PCI-E 2.0 x4. B550 chip set link is PCI-E 3.0 x4 and X570 is 4.0 x4.

PCI-E 2.0 signal can go on average 12~18 linear feet before needing re-drivers or a powered hub/bridge chip of some sort.
    PCI-E 3.0 signal can go 1~3 feet on overage before needing re-drivers or a powered hub/bridge chip of some sort*.
    PCI-E 3.0 signal can go 'about 0.5 feet' on average before needing re-drivers or a powered hub/bridge chip of some sort.

*I am a bit foggy on the PCI-E 3.0 distance, but suffice to say it doesn't go nearly as far as 2.0 did.
    I think Linus did a video on it, which you should watch IF you can stand him saying 'like' in every sentence as a valley girl in the 80's would be expected to do. Personally though, I'll pass, that guy takes me back to high school and middle school in the 90's when I used to pick on and beat up kids that acted like that. I wasn't a model school child, and hence have to pass on his or Buildzoid's videos...

Good luck on it and let us know if it works, if it doesn't work, or if it explodes leaving you covered in black soot with your hair blown straight back like a cartoon.

Attached Files:

13. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    My motherboard is set to 3.0 standard manually. I always set this manually. I believe it is a bug with CPU-Z.

14. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    I just noticed this as well on my X370 when looking at CPU-Z for other reasons. My guess is that it's reading the PCI-E bus specification from the IO die in the CPU, not what the actual motherboard allows. Perhaps it's a change that was made so that B550 would show PCI-E 4.0 even though the chipset itself is PCI-E 3.0.

15. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just to revisit this, GPU-Z is saying that my 3080 Ti is running in PCIe 4.0 mode on my B450 board.

[​IMG]

DanielRX likes this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You will experience stability problems.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is where all the rdna1 stability issues ware coming from at first.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not all of it, it wasn't just limited to AMD builds.

19. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It appears that it's a bug, just like in CPU-Z. After running the PCIE stress test in GPU-Z, it correctly identifies it as PCIE 3.0.

Al_Chafai likes this.
  20. Al_Chafai

Al_Chafai New Member

GPU:
    3080Ti
    So officially Asus B450 boards don't support PCIe Gen4 anymore?!!
    Is there someone capable of confirming that?! Because i am seeing so many builds with the terrible RX 6500XT B450 boards and Zen 2 based CPUs, That means the card will lose up to 20% of it's performance.