Weird 5700 XT problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chippyz, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Hello, I need your help as I'm not sure what to do anymore.
    I have a PowerColor RX 5700 XT and I have really weid issues with it. It keeps crashing in my system during light GPU load. Crashes in blender(not while rendering just using it),minecraft,photoshop,youtube(once) and only certain heavy games(red dead,cyberpunk) while everything else works fine. No other stress test or game will trigger a crash. Crashes are rare unless I force one in blender.

Now even weirder, my sister's and friend's PCs don't even go past boot screen when I put my gpu in them. Insta black screen before windows logo. Now my friend's PC is a bit older, but my sister's PC has a B450M chipset and it's also from MSI.

I tried another RAM and PSU, turning all overclocks off and on, reinstalling windows, DDU, different drivers, different pcie slot. It just keeps crashing and it doesn't work in other computers.

What should I do next, before I send another AMD gpu on an RMA?
    Do you have any idea on why this is happening?

My config is:
    PowerColor RX 5700 XT
    R7 2700X
    16GB HyperX Predator
    Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W (checked with seasonic, it's from a new revision)
    MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    So...another "AMD = BAD, NVIDIA = GOOD" thread with a new account...

You seem, somehow...very certain that it is an AMD GPU issue...

Of course, if this is legitimate, that's horrible luck you got. I'm on my 5th ATI/AMD card, with only some driver issues...

I'd still suggest you try a CPU/RAM stress test - AIDA64, for example.

Also, make sure BIOS is updated.

If you got it used, it may be why...

3. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Alright I will try a stress test again.
    Also not trying to make amd look bad or make nvidia look good. it's just that for the last 2 years almost I can't get a solid stable pc experience so I'm just mad. It doesn't feel good when you need to troubleshoot some issues all the time.
    I did update the bios. If you need proof I recorded the card not working in 2 PCs and only working in mine.
    EDIT:
    for my previous gpu:

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Maybe I've seen one too many new accounts posting about AMD issues...doesn't mean your issue isn't legit of course)

If the card has a BIOS switch, try the other one...

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    So you've had two GPUs die in the same system?

6. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Pretty much.
    However the RX590 had issues since I got it, even on my old i5 system, it was just a matter of time before it gave up.

It's always something bizzare that makes no sense. An hdmi to vga adapter would cause the whole gpu to crash while playing games. Got a new PSU because people told me it was a PSU issue, the card starded working somewhat stable only after I bought a new monitor.... Year and a half year later it started crashing again.

And now this 5700XT works in my PC, and it crashes only in cerain scenarios(without proper testing the gpu might seem completely stable) but it completely refuses to work in other pcs.

I am lost..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. alpha007org

alpha007org Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3
    I had strange unlogical "I Personally would not believe it" if I Personally haven't had them.

Intel 3770K, 16GB RAM, 7950.

GPU would stop working or went into PCIe 3.0 4x mode or PCIe 2.0 16x or PCIe 1x.

This happened if I shut down the PC for longer than ~14 hours or if the electricity went out. So I was putting that PC always in Sleep mode (as I do with all of them actually).

I had to unplug the card, remove two PCIe connectors and switch them. Just SWITCH them. With multiple PSUs. I had 600, 850, and 750 "Gold 95+" PSUs and it was the same with all of them. I just had to switch PCIe cables. If I unplug them and plug them the same way, it wouldn't work. It started working normal ONLY if I swithed the cables.

I don't believe ANYBODY will believe this. I don't believe it because it had to be something else. But...

---

To the problem OP has:

Did you update MoBo BIOS?

Did you try flashing another GPU BIOS?

Did you go through BIOS to see if you have any "voltage/power monitoring" active for devices?

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    maybe it's your house wiring.dirty power.voltage spikes.
    an AVR wouldn't hurt

9. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    1.yes
    2.couldn't find another bios on
    3.I don't think so, where should I look for this?

it still doesn't explain why other pcs don't want to work with this gpu

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    How long have you had the gpu and over clocked it for.

11. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Few months. I didn't really oc the gpu since the stock oc on core is pretty high already. I tried underclocking core,undevolt and oc on memory for a short time, It wasn't causing any more instabillity than with stock.

12. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Here's the video:

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    You do not even know what a crash looks like apparently.

14. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    May be something else in your case, but the behavior in the AMD FX system seems to match what I've seen with my older build - the motherboard didn't support the GPU because of lack of UEFI support...

In your system, did you update to this BIOS - 7C02v3A2? If yes, see if turning on BAR/SAM support does anything, if it is set to off(or vice-versa). If you don't have that BIOS, try it.

Try swapping the GPU power cables as suggested above...

Since the card has a dual BIOS switch, try the other one, if you did not yet(with system completely unpowered).
    Checked for an updated BIOS for the card(techpowerup), but there is only one version available for each mode(silent and full power).

Try turning Freesync off.

Try setting PCIE speed to 2nd gen - should be plenty.

Try the latest Chipset Drivers - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-driver&Win10 64

Have you tried stress-testing? If you have AIDA64, select CPU, FPU, CACHE and SYSTEM MEMORY. Let it run ~15 minutes. Then try selecting only the GPU. If both tests pass, combine them.

Also... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-and-crashing-display-drivers.3624150/

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1039995-gpu-crash-system-powers-off/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/e4kpsc/b450_tomahawk_max_frequent_display_driver_crash/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  15. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    You're right, my system does not crash it just restarts when it likes.

I had games crash to dekstop as well with messages like:
    gpu crash for unknown reason
    d3d device removed
    Okay, I will try.

16. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Passed in AIDA all tests, ran it in total for over an hour no crashes.

Went into blender, black screen after 10 seconds, had to manually restart pc.

Like I said before in the thread:
    "No other stress test or game will trigger a crash"

17. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Weird

I'd try to use a different HD/SSD, on a different channel/controller... Also would try to run blender in safe mode. I'm no expert, but doubt just opening blender stresses the GPU more than AIDA. Feels like something is tripping up the driver/system.

Suggest you try disabling the AMD External Events Utility along with the AMD Crash Defender Service. I'd also uninstall the two AMD devices in Device Manager under System Devices: AMD Defender and something-Link(unsure about the two names). Would also pause/disable any antivirus you got, including Windows Defender.

Installing the latest AMD Chipset drivers didn't help, correct?

18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Had a friend buy a new PC and it worked fine for a few months, but then it just started randomly restarting. He RMAd PSU, twice and tried switching cards, but nothing helped. Well, eventually he pinned it down to his cat. That cat basically came and "marked" the new thing in the house. So after fixing the cat, he replaced the motherboard and everything went back to normal.

Therefore try inspecting the motherboard and GPU for water damage, contacts for oxidation, maybe there was some vapor condensation. Pull up event viewer to see if the restarts aren't due to some specific driver crashing.

Otherwise it really looks like a power issue, as in your wiring is bad or PSU has problems. The best would be to get an osciloscope to actually see what comes out of the outlet, but at least measuring the voltage with RMS multimeter would do it, just measure it under load. Other than that you could try different PSU. It would be a terrible luck otherwise to have several cards fail over 2 years.

19. alpha007org

alpha007org Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3
    Try Display Driver Uninstaller, and uninstall everything. From chipset drivers, power plans (if you have some custom made), to GPU drivers. Every driver possible. Do it one by one. When you uninstall one, disconnect from the internet so that Windows doesn't automatically install them and try. If problem persist, uninstall another one,...

Try Windows 7 booted from USB. Download program that crashes and try if it crashes too. If it does there is something wrong with one of the components in your PC or the wiring.

20. Chippyz

Chippyz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I don't know how water damage could be the culprit, I never spilled anything. And I can't find any corosion, everything in my pc is around a year old, except the drives and the psu(2 years) and gpu(5 months).
    And I did try another PSU, a weaker one(should be able to handle my system with no oc tho), and it still crashed in blender, again it crashes when load is not on max.
    And the house is not really old, so the wiring really shouldn't be bad, if It happens again I will try to plug it in another part of the house, or at a pc shop or i don't even know, I will figure it out.....