Resizeable BAR support issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Deleted member 282649, Nov 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. There was a beta BIOS released yesterday for X470-PRO that mentions "Improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards"

2. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    Same for my ASUS Z490-F

"Version 2004 Beta Version
    2021/01/15 8.81 MBytes
    ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING BIOS 2004
    -Support 11th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors
    - improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards"

I only just flashed to BIOS version 2002 less than a week ago, not in too much of a hurry to install this beta BIOS if it isn't going to be of any use yet.

3. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Why is that ?

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    i don't know all the details but apparently the majority of motherboard manufacturers are not going to support this on the z300 series so some one started a petition.
    http://chng.it/YDqZc2RkVt
    and so far MSI has responded to it and agreed to support it on theirs but so many makers have not spoken on this matter.
    even if you don't care too much sign the petition plz.

DanielRX likes this.

5. Mustang104

Mustang104 Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 3080 RTX
    Marketing - why support old tech when we want consumers spending money on the latest and greatest? Trying not to be too cynical but that's the way things are.

DanielRX likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    "New GeForce RTX graphics cards starting with the GeForce RTX 3060 will have support for Resizable BAR. NVIDIA and our GPU partners are also readying VBIOS updates for existing GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards starting in March"

7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Well that was my point Nvidia initially claimed it was just a driver update but it seems its actually a Bios update required as well, so we have the silly situation where Nvidias most expensive GPU cannot do what its most affordable ones can, bit poor really

8. 21.1.1 drivers work fine with Resizable BAR and a RX 580 (VRAM reported correctly)

DanielRX and Fox2232 like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Should not be working at all on polaris.

DanielRX likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Wasn't it demonstrated on linux long time ago?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe it looks fine and reports correctly but i dont think its working.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you can address that memory space directly, then it works as designed. I think phoronix did some benches which shown difference in performance too.

PieEyedPiper and DanielRX like this.
  13. The setting exists on my PRIME X470-PRO motherboard, enables (Large Memory Range on Windows; full 8192M BAR on Linux at boot), and (with drivers that support it) seemingly doesn't break anything.

If I disable Resizable BAR in firmware, I lose the Large Memory Range on Windows, and the BAR in Linux gets set differently depending on if I enable or disable above 4G decode (enabled does 256M -> 8192M, disabled keeps 256M).

No idea how to actually properly test if it does anything performance-wise though, but I don't notice anything different with games.

[​IMG]

PieEyedPiper and DanielRX like this.
  14. xLorak

xLorak Guest

GPU:
    Rx580
    I can confirm about this issue on my system:
    R5 3600
    Gigabyte B450M S2H v1
    16GB ram
    XFX RX580 8GB
    Today I upgraded BIOS to F60f version, changed boot partition from MBR to GPT (because if not=cant boot, need to reset CMOS when Above + Resize bar options enabled) and loaded new driver only - 21.1.1, Adrenaline is crap with telemetry services.

There showed up option like in post above "Large Memory Range" and "Memory Range" but in my language;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PieEyedPiper likes this.
  15. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    I have the same MOBO and CPU as OP, I can confirm Resizable BAR is working for me. Got to be careful what to disable and enable in the BIOS because some settings seem to effect it working besides just CSM.

Using GPU-Z you can easily check if it's enabled or not under the advanced tab, under vulkan.

Vega 64 with 2700x and ASUS PRIME X470-PRO

ON vs OFF:

ON.png OFF.png

I'll try to benchmark it soon.

HD64G, Rambo, PieEyedPiper and 4 others like this.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Did you test uploading a heap larger than 256MB at once with legacy and new virtual address mode and profile it? Because that you check with the tool is just a cap-bit.

17. Not directly related to the topic, but there's a new BIOS (non-Beta) for the ASUS PRIME X470-PRO (5837); doesn't mention anything about BAR specifically, but mentions an updated AGESA, UEFI RAID driver, and system stability improvement.

How exactly can this be tested?

18. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Guys, is SAM/resizable BAR even supported by AMD windows driver on non-RX 6800 series?

I still don't understand what are you trying to achieve here with these older cards

Linux AMDGPU driver is completely different thing

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No its not. You can enable it but it does nothing.

Krteq likes this.
  20. I haven't seen anyone name a reliable way to benchmark it, and from what I've heard, it's only a minor improvement at best on GPUs that have "official" support.

As long as there's a large memory range, and Vulkan reports a larger memory than 256MB, shouldn't that mean that the whole 256MB-at-a-time assignment ordeal is avoided? If it at least does that, then I'd call it working.

Newer driver loads and reports VRAM correctly (RX 580). On unsupported drivers, VRAM isn't reported correctly. With that in-mind, I'd say the answer to Resizable BAR working on non-RX 6800 series is yes, or I imagine VRAM would just be outright broken on every driver.

I'm unsure of any way to actually test any kind of consistent improvement even on officially-supported GPUs.