RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Yeah, is there any point to flash 6900xt bios to 6800xt card?

Embra and PrEzi like this.
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    YUP.

That's exactly the point --- once the R.B.E. guys have tested it a little bit more and it will be possible to mod your own BIOS -- it will be pointless to flash one from a higher tier eventually.
    You will just mod yours, bump the internal Power Envelope for the GPU, bump the max OC limit, maybe mod a little bit the memory timings and flash it back.

3. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
  4. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Well you just need to wait a little...
    As the modding of the BIOSes will come... eventually.
    Flashing is already possible... just... wait :)
    I am on the topic and will report back here once something new pops up in this regard.

chispy and JonasBeckman like this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Unlocking the voltage might help offset some of the binning and quality differences for the higher clock speeds and stabilizing the boost level after 2.5 Ghz power draw helps but without additional voltage the GPU core might not be able to sustain higher speeds and will drop down a bit.

Not sure how much you can get from the default voltage level before running into problems from adding too much if that gets resolved so not every card might be capable of 2.8 - 2.9 but it will be interesting to see how it goes once some of these bios limits and driver restrictions and safeties can be somewhat worked around.

EDIT: There's less of those cores so a higher clock speed might be easier but there's a difference in binning and overall quality so the 6800XT might still be a bit variable.
    Should go for the 6800 too but it probably has some level too where the missing cores start being more noticeable and clock speed gains are not as effective even if it could be pushed further.

They're all really close to one another at stock but with some more power the boost differences start showing up and performance differs a bit more, might be possible to get a nice 15 - 20% instead of the 5 - 10% default from 6800 to 6800XT to the 6900XT perhaps, maybe a bit more for the top quality chips even.

EDIT: Well you almost get the 5% for free from just the power limit increase landing at a higher sustained boost clock speed without usage of other tools so some fine tuning when/if that's possible plus the up to 5% from increasing the clock speeds also so 15% doesn't seem too unrealistic at least from that removing some of the limiters and pushing clocks a bit further still.
    (We'll see I guess.)

EDIT: Yeah should be possible to get close at least, power limit or MPT for a bigger boost and that settles the clock speeds without any throttling which is otherwise what hinders things initially.

Another gain from increasing said boost clocks maybe a bit from memory but that's a separate problem to solve trying to improve that or utilize the faster timings at higher clock speeds.

Last bit being from being able to get above the stock restrictions and limitations but here it's going to vary a bit what each GPU can do and where the 6800, 6800XT and 6900XT start capping out and requiring a lot more for smaller gains.

Interesting that some enthusiasts already get close to the limit though, 2600, 2800 and 3000 respectively I think it was minus that -50 Wattman offset clock speed difference. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you so very much for sharing this , finally the secret amd flash utility for Radeon 6xxx video cards has been found :) . Awaiting for the guys at Igor's lab now to make the proper bios editing tool and release to the public. Good times ahead :D , i'm really looking forward to this.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Would it be possible to edit the bios with mpt and save it as a .rom file and flash it to 6900xt ? Just wandering about that

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  9. DarknightOCR

DarknightOCR Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    amdvbflash 3.15
    does not let flash the bios of the RX6000

neither the Windows version nor the prompt version

I just managed to flash the bios with version 4.69 for linux, or the last 4.71

with 3.15 for windows, it is only possible to "read" and save the bios with amdvbflashwin

chispy likes this.
  10. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    Average temperature in the above test says 29°C.
    upload_2021-1-18_22-21-59.png

I wonder if the PC was placed outside in cold weather with negative environment temperatures. :p

I have water cooled 6800XT and for me average temperature under load is 45°C.

11. TONY8620

TONY8620 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT
    Anyone have experience Liquid Cooling or installing AIO LC with 6000 series cards? I have a reference 6900 XT which I paired with a EKWB Quantum Reaction AIO. For the life of me I can't get the GPU and Junction temps under control. Seeing it hit 90s/110 respectively in games like Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator and COD Warzone. I've tried all different types of thermal paste and applications of said thermal paste. Have tried longer screws when connecting pcb to water block but for the life of me it seems that something is off with how it's seated as that is the only explanation I can come up with for the high temps.

12. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    It is strange. Maybe the cooler is not properly seated.
    EK provides instructions how the screws need to be evenly tightened starting by the ones close to the GPU ASIC and going outwards.
    If the tension of the screws is uneven it could happen then that the cooler is not evenly contacting the GPU ASIC.
    Also check if you used the correct thickness Thermal Pads. On the memory and voltage regulators EKWB uses 1mm thick Pads.
    For backplate there are 1.5mm and 2mm pads.
    If wrong thickness is used then there could be a gap between GPU and heatsink.

I have my 6800XT fitted with EKWB water block.
    The Max GPU temperatures are is 45°C and Max Junction below 60°C.
    I am using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as thermal past.
    Some photos that I made during my build. ;)

20201211_233843.jpg 20201212_004848.jpg 20201212_002053.jpg 20201212_005100.jpg 20201212_013822.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Embra and Turanis like this.
  13. TONY8620

TONY8620 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT
    Thank you good sir. Very much appreciated. I have some 1.0 mm and 1.5mm thermal pads on the way from Amazon as well as some noctua thermal compound. I will try what you said with the pads as I'm pretty sure ekwb sent me pads of only one specific thickness. I've been doing that with the screws and even used longer screws but I went thinner pads on the pcb so maybe that is the issue. How much thermal paste would you say you used?

14. Turbogear

Turbogear Member Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 7900XTX Aqua
    Usually the provided screws by EK should work except if the height of the pads is not correct.
    According to EKWB instructions for your block, these should be 1mm thick pads on memory and voltage regulators.
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109833353.pdf

This is same as on mine. It is basically same block. Yours is sold in a kit with pump and radiator combination and mine is standalone block for custom loop.

For the thermal past, I used a very thin layer applied by the flat nosil that Thermal Grizzly provides with the Kryonaut paste tube.
    Here is photo from their website showing how they apply this:
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/images/anleitung_2.jpg

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Another batch of 6800's and some 6900's got stocked, 900 Euro for the 6800's and 1400 for the 6900 though hah well pricing is definitively going to be a issue and might remain so for a good way into the year from how things are.

That's pretty rough.

4x 6800 Nitro+
    3x 6800 Red Devil
    2x 6900 XT Red Devil

Still a really limited quantity it seems, neat to see the 6900's actually showing up though.
    Not bad cards or anything it's just that they are close 50% more than what would be recommendable with the pricing here.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Hopefully when more and more batches come in, and the stock will build up the prices will go down.
    Was similar with the ZEN3 CPUs --- now the prices are dropping albeit slowly...

JonasBeckman and Turbogear like this.
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah for a while forward and until AMD and NVIDIA's stock situation improves there's going to be this price increase situation but while it's going to take time before it happens things can hopefully also improve and start coming back down again closer to the suggested MSRP figures.
    100 - 150 USD / EUR and that's a bit better for a custom card over the reference model for pricing instead of closer to 300 as it is now.

The way it's at now you are almost paying for the XT level prices for the 6800 for a custom cooling solution and some tweaks to the PCB and it also changes things around in regards how it's priced against the 3070's and 3080's from NVIDIA.
    Seen it with the CPU's too for example the new price for the 5800X when that started becoming available again but since then it seems to have normalized a bit again though still somewhat above MSRP+VAT.

For the GPU availability though the situation with low availability and incoming shipments is currently making this more difficult and demand is still really high.

Most of the AMD cards have sold out now already but then everything else is also out of stock both for them and for NVIDIA currently.

EDIT: Going to be interesting to see what the 5900X CPU's from AMD will land at once shipments of these are coming in and start being stocked again, NVIDIA well it's hard to tell any available inventory is usually gone immediately so it's not the easiest to track what comes in and in what quantities besides that they are sending out new batches pretty regularly though quantity remains limited and demand is extreme.

18. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Jonas --- I don't see a bad availability of the 5900X nor 5950X in Germany.... For prices above MSRP true, but available and in stock without any problems... e.g.>
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Box (100-100000061WOF) - Preisvergleich (hardwareschotte.de)

also 5950X is available (for a higher price at least in a few stores) >
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Box (100-100000059WOF) - Preisvergleich (hardwareschotte.de)

JonasBeckman likes this.
  19. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    I'm having an issue with the morepowertool.

I put all the values that I want and write ppt .

Restart still the same stock values.

I'm running admin on the MPT.

Only changing 9% to 15% power and 300w from 265w.

20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Heh, have my piece now.
    6800xt merc319. Funny thing, my credit card was debited day it arrived, ie today, and I ordered it 15.01. Very fast must say, from amazon.fr, and description on site was yesterday "available 23.01" :)
    Overall big, heavy piece of hardware. I do not OC it, kinda see no point, it boosts 2260-2390 most the time, with custom fan curve, and max temperature I saw was 63 C, hot spot 81 C degree.
    Tomorrow will test VR capability, should be much better than 2080S. 2080S went to my sons PC, and his nitro+ 5700Xt will go ebay.
    BTW TimeSpy Graphic score is 18182, which is nice I guess... :)

Now...now I need SAM/BAR for my old z370 MB :)

Turbogear likes this.