I don't think the 3080 has enough Vram

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Serotonin, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    For most people and most games, yes.

But I personally don't think it has enough either.
    That's why im dropping it as soon as 3080Ti is released.

Perfect example of VRAM hog is cold war. If I alt tab with ultra textures(maxes out vram usage) and alt-tab back in the game is <10fps for up to 5-6 seconds.
    The VRAM usage drops when going to desktop but gets pooled up again upon entering game.

If i go to high or medium textures the FPS drop doesn't happen.

3. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Good luck with getting your hands on a 3080TI

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Warzone is the only game so far that 10GB of VRAM isn't enough for 4K. I have to reduce texture quality to low settings, otherwise my performance degrades and hitches after long gameplay.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm not sure how NVIDIA is gonna implement their SAM support but on Navi21 cards VRAM usage is raised by 1GB+ which could be problem for 10GB version of RTX 3080.

Mufflore likes this.
  6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    At this point I doubt we'll ever see a 3080Ti, and if we do, it will be so hard get and likely "late in the game" that the next generation will be around the corner. If the shortages weren't enough due to the known reasons, the new crypto boom beat the last nail in the coffin.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    10GB would be plenty for Warzone, if it wasn't being broken either by bad code or tools injected into it (jury is still out on which it is)

It is not supposed to use 98% of the vram and then begin filling system ram.

Re what i said to memorian just now, i have seen this title consume all the vram on the 5700xt and no doubt it'll enact the same bug on 16GB 6800xt's (under the conditions where it reproduces), has any one in the vanguard discord brought it up?

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The map is huge and it needs 12+GB for high textures @4K. 3090s or 6800/6900XT run the game super smooth. My 2080Ti was fine with Normal textures, 3080 needs low to be perfect.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    MW needs 8.6GB (at 4k WITH RT)

The lack of RT in Warzone significantly reduces vram requirements, the usage you've seen on cards with more vram is just vram getting filled with texture data that is failing to be invalidated.

The 3090 ends up stuttering in the same way, it just takes a few more rounds to get there.

The value on this screen

[​IMG]

Is how much the game should use up to the maximum when the default memory scale of 0.85 is used.

The vram leak results in the game filling vram up to and beyond the maximum until system ram is fully consumed too, multiple forum and reddit posts have displayed users aiming this to well below the maximum and utilities still displaying entire vram consumption and stuttering.

Were the game working properly, textures would be unloaded / reloaded using a texture invalidation and purging system based around the 0.85 scale, the game itself is intended to only use a fraction (less than 100%) of total vram, but that is not what is seen.

Both wind up with the same issue as 6, 8 and 12GB cards.

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Warzone supports RT. If you reduce memory scale to 0.55 it is fine, but some textures look blurry because it needs more VRAM. I don't think 3090s suffer from this issue, if there was memory leak, it would start to stutter even with low textures after some rounds but it doesn't.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no it doesn't.

3090's are affected

12. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It literally does, though. I've got it enabled in Warzone.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No it doesn't,

the setting is specifically for MW/MP,
    Warzone(Battle Royale) doesn't have any DXR effects.

The framerate speaks for itself loud enough, but theres no visible difference what so ever apart from the momentary lighting engine caching itself in the distance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I agree, it's pretty much the glaring flaw of Nvidia's cards right now. For 4K it's just not enough (maybe even 1440p games depending nowadays like Cyberpunk which seems to gobble VRAM).

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're responding to a post that was already refuted by actual usage data.

16. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No anti-aliasing my goodness, my eyes would bleed lol -- modern TAA/SMAA variants are really quite cheap compared to the old days of MSAA for what it's worth.

As for "blur effects" Digital Foundry's video on modern Motion Blur really turned my opinion on its head there. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

DannyD likes this.
  17. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Alright, thanks -- as long as modern games take the Battlefield V approach where they dynamically use the VRAM available to them, then no issue I expect. I would be surprised if every game did that however. At least in the olden days you really could go over your VRAM budget and tank fps and some games today still allow this depending (like DOOM Eternal on the highest texture quality if you don't' have enough VRAM as per Hardware Unboxed tests).

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  19. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3