NVIDIA and AMD Graphics card shortages to last thoughout H1 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Lordhawkwind

Lordhawkwind Guest

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX970
    Having owned the last three Gen AMD cards originally waited for the 6800XT launch. Vaporware couldn't buy it anywhere. So decided try 3080 as Nvidia now support freesync monitors (I have 1440p 144hz) but despite having discord and F5 bashing had no chance against the bots and scalpers. So one night after getting a notification for a 3080 that had already sold out I noticed they had an AIB 3090 for 10% above MSRP available to buy. I could afford it so bought it and it was in my PC within 48 hours.

Massive upgrade from my 5700XT and I accept a massive price too! Played BFV single player Trilleau map last night and with everything ultra including ray tracing (no DLSS) I averaged about 100fps (my monitor has a very accurate FPS counter). Without Ray tracing averaged abut 120fps. First time I've owned a true enthusiast card for over 10 years and loving it. I've had it for a month now and ultra settings in all games at up to 144fps with no compromises. I've paid for it (no credit), no regrets, never look back just enjoy it. Just glad I managed to buy one.

mohiuddin, rdmetz, alanm and 2 others like this.
  2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Made a similar decision here, FE suddenly was in stock and € 300 cheaper than all other 3090's. Looking at the prices and availability now, looks like it wasn't such a bad choice. Expensive, yes, but still barely any 3080's in stock and prices have risen another € 100 at the very least.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Seastar

Seastar Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF OC 3080
    I guess I was lucky to get my Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 last November from the local hardware store for MSRP. My friend was able to get an Asus Strix 3070 white edition yesterday, but he also paid as much as I did for my 3080.

rdmetz likes this.
  4. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    I never buy second hand and never will, too often you end up buying someone else's problems. I accept second-hand goods as gifts though, as there is no risk.

mohiuddin likes this.

5. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Sorry but as someone who saw this coming and was fully prepared day one I was able to get a 3080 day 1 (after 8 hours of searching) and eventually got 12 3080/3090 during the first month of release. Some were for local friends a few online ones I mailed to and a family member who wanted to upgrade (plus I myself have 2 and upgrade my own 3080 3 times since launch).

The cards are absolutely (especially at launch) going to gamers I follow many notification services / discords that have 1000's of "confirmeds" of people grabbing their cards and thanking the admins.

I personally rolled not only with them (as backup) but my own notifications / web refreshers running on my pc and even on my phone 24/7.

It was a crazy month and lots of lost sleep with crazy loud alarms going off at all times of the night.

But I wanted a cars and wanted to help my friends and family.

The fact is too many people just want to complain instead of actually going out there and really trying.

If you want product I get several notifications a day still listing cards and though I'm not interested I pop in once and a while and still see plenty of "thanks" being left in the confirmation pages.

I know it's easier to blame anything else but at the end of the day it's a hot product from multiple perspectives and if you're not prepared to go out of the way to get one you'll just have to go without (or pay someone else to do the work for you aka what you guys like to call "scalpers").

I love that I got the 2080ti on launch for -250 USD from selli g sli 1080 ti that weren't really getting used anymore for sli.

I got a great upgrade in most games and money in my pocket and for 2 years had the best you could ask for.

Then knowing what was coming sold that card for $1100 in August and bought a $699 3080 on launch and got another great upgrade for nothing!

All those people who tried to slam me for the "downgrade" to the "overpriced" 2080ti... Who's laughing now?

I also got crap for knowing the marker and what was coming and taking advantage of that by selling my 2080ti so close to next card launch for that but I talked to the guy who bought it in October and he said he was still super happy with it and had people offering him as much as he paid sometimes more.

Sorry but you're wrong it's not all miners PLENTY of gamers are wanting (and buying) these top tier cards. Heck I myself got 12 3080/3090 in the first month for myself and some friends/family.

I've also seen 1000's of gamers "score" cards on the multiple notification discords services I follow and leaving their confirmations and thanks to the admins.

Sure miners buy them too but don't act like no gamers are getting them because in my circle alone about 80% of pc gamers have already gotten one.

People just need to learn how to get their hands on these things better (and it's not all about kayo f scalper pricing or a "bot service" I did neither and for 12 cards in the first month alone.

People are just lazy and want it to be as convenient as ordering their next delivery pizza.

Not everyone getting them is some dirty miner or scalper I got 12 during the first month of release and not one for either purpose.

Games are selling fine adding the tech benefits them either say as it gives people more reason to try your game if amd when they finally do get an upgrade. No real loss in customers either way. Just different hardware and quality levels.

Not a waste of time if you're really dedicated to it and you track it like no other thing matters like on your phone pull over on side of road to try and buy levels or crazy loud alarms going off in the middle of the night.

I spent an entire month with my focus almost exclusively on this at any time I wasn't specifically working on something that couldn't wait.

And though I lost a lot of sleep I manager to get 12 3080/3090 in the first month of launch.

There are plenty of ways to track these things down if you really want to try.

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Come on guys! Lube up and take it!

Clawedge likes this.
  7. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Pretty sure these so-called 'shortages' are 100% planned. Just like Nintendo did with its Switch shortages, Sony, Microsoft and now PC component manufacturers are all pulling the same shannanigans.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You wanna hear a joke? Graphics card msrp. :D

Clawedge likes this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That's great and all, but I should be able to go to newegg and buy a new card at MSRP. They're all out of stock and over priced. Buying a GPU shouldn't take any extra effort from the end user.

Airbud, HonoredShadow and eGGroLLiO like this.
  10. Mandoscottie

Mandoscottie Member

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    like everyone id kill for a 3080-3090 card for mrsp but easier finding unicorn farts :)

vowed the 1080ti founders in 2016 was the most I would spank on a gpu, looking back its been a bargain.

still gaming with it on a 4K nanocell and only recently do i have to start dropping settings to exceed 60fps.

£599 heh ironically the 3060ti is just below perf/price of this 5 year old gpu.

cmon NV release a 20gb 3080ti for under £999 they would clean up.

with ethereum and monero values increasing, these 30 series gpus make a shedload more a day mining over previous gen cards.
    for example mining eth with an AMD or NV card say the 1080ti above, can see a single card hash rate of around 32-35Mh/s.
    I believe the AMD cards were better suited to mining until the 30 series appeared.

change that to say a 3090 card and see almost 3x that per day, per card.
    32-35 Mh/s works out at about £50-£60 a month revenue of ethereum which you can then convert to whatever (dependent on value of eth at the time)

the downside is, mining as a solo person or even with 4 gpus its not really profitable, but put them in a rack like previous posts, or join a pool sharing the revenue between members suddenly it is, once you offset your power costs from your eth generation, depending on the market costs of your mined items, affects your profitability in your content of your eth wallet, which as with normal markets can go down as well as up.

as of just now eth, monero and bitcoin are high. So much so a lot of financial companies are starting to get involved, eth v2 is also rumoured to become big and GPUs again are in the focus. Its all about the cores, what we love as gamers, so do the miners thanks to shader cores.

upload_2021-1-17_10-30-0.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yeah, pretty sure they just want to sell, sell and sell. But that's impossible with enough stock. Glad I bit the bullet on the 3090 FE, prices currently are € 1000 - 1100 for a 3080 here and 3090's have ramped up to € 2000+

Makes me feel less guilty about spending € 1500 on a 3090 now :x

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The current situation regarding the GPU market is really strange and disturbing. Finding a GPU on stock is really hard and finding one with a decent price is even harder...

Still the situation seems to be improving albeit on a very slow pace. Since the beginning of the year that some some 3060Tis and 3070s started to appear, and while the 3060 are being sold at silly prices, some 3070s are being sold below the 600€ mark and some of them have a 550€ price. Right now there´s a Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC being sold at 572€. Not cheap i know, but compared to some prices i´ve already seen... Too bad the 3070 only has 8GB of memory...
    The 3080 is MIA...

In AMDs camp, the situation is much worse, the 6800 is starts at 750€ and the XT starts at 890€... But there seems to be some stock of both cards.

Also the 2000 cards are finally dropping their prices significantly, being possible to buy a 2080Ti for less than 800€...

Hard times for those who need a GPU...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Looked up the last 2 cards I bought (6 months ago & a year ago). Each released quite awhile back but suddenly, they're hot commodities:

--5700XT stock is sold out everywhere I looked, only available at obscene mark-ups from re-sellers. (5600XT is the same)
    --RX580. Can't buy those now either (unless you are willing to spend 2-3x retail).

It's absurd.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    All GPUs, regardless of make or gen are absurdly priced now.

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    When i read about people waiting for GPU prices to go back to normal.
    [​IMG]

Undying, fantaskarsef and DannyD like this.
  17. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Probably because AMD stopped manufacturing them so there is no new supply even though they stated back in October they were continuing to manufacture RX 5000 series. But what do you think they want to dedicate the 7nm supply to? RX 5000 series or 6000/consoles/CPUs? I wonder if this will trigger new companies to enter the lucrative semicondutor fab industry considering the demand. The stumbling block is a lot of capital investment and expertise.

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    How nice. Between last week and this week, video card prices suddenly rose by 100 euros. It's starting to look like I'm fated to skip yet another generation.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    [​IMG]

Clawedge likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I've literally been waiting since the first Mining rush.