New computer required

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rudlin, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Hello Gurus,

I'm a bit of a budget pc enthusiast. Been dreaming for a while now about a new, more powerful, computer. Obviously patiently waiting on AMD to deliver some of their CPU stock, alas I am getting a little tired of waiting.

Since my main use of PC resources is gaming I think Intel could still be good for me, and I am planning for a 5-6 year investment. I believe that 8 core solution should last me that long.

My current CPU is i5 4690k - and it served me well for many years. However, i7 - 10700k (been saving for a while, you see) seems to be a very good money/value offer at the moment.

My current GPU is 2060 nVidia, and I am more than happy with it.

Would you be able to advice on what components should buy around i7 - 10700k CPU. Generally, my budget is approximately £800.

Thanks!

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Assuming that you already have an monitor, computer case.
    10700K offers great value for gaming, 8C/16T is the new norm today, so your build should perform accordingly in games for a long time.
    On the GPU side, without knowing at what resolution you play and what games is difficult to say what to upgrade to. Moreover, the actual GPU prices are downright insane.
    Would you upgrade your PSU also?

Freeman likes this.
  3. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    GPU wise i would hold to that 2060 until market comes back to nornal, for 1080p (wild guess as you are on budget mode) with no RT the 2060 will hold good enough until the next gen imo.

Dont overkill on mobo and no need for more than 16gb of ram atm.

Pick a nice PSU for future gpu upgrades.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    why would you hold to it until the market comes back to normal??
    Sell it. March everything should reopen.I sold mine RTX 2060. for 310gbp -30 fees. Bought it October for 270gbp.

Consumers are stacked.

5. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    You said it yourself... Should.

You can sell it and dont be able to get a new one.

He/she is fine with the 2060 so why no t keep it and have extra money for the rest of conponents. Next year can upgrade with, hopefully, less hassle.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    That is very good advice. I've spent way too much on high end mobo's in the past and you really don't get anything extra out of them.

7. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    what do you think companies will do when economy and borders open after February? They will sell more.

Gaming sits on GPU so it depends how bad you want to play games next 2 months.

you got £800 and more than happy with 2060? OK, heres my suggestion: Buy high end peripherals and a good high end 24inch monitor, maybe wait for a cheap motherboard with maybe 11th gen processor and enjoy RTX 2060.

8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I wouldnt bet on borders opening on march, worst is yet to come imo.

As you say, it depends what OP wants to do with the 2060.

Its good to have different opinions so he/she may choose with more ideas/info.

Edit: i wouldnt use pc money on peripherals.

9. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    It is not wise to sell a decent card during lockdowns and hoping things will change for the better just like that.

Why_Me likes this.
  10. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    its wise to sell a '''used, decent card'' for +10%/breakeven after many month of usage, just before March where economy re open is "promised". Do you really need heavy, single player gaming next 2 month when you can safely sell it for £300?

but, yeah, maybe Im judging from personal wishes. I want a new 30xx card for a good price and theres not much to play so I sold mine, I got a spare very old one, and waiting for 30xx stock.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

11. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, It's not about the card itself, but the current situation definitely does play a role. He may sell his card and not get a new one because they might not be stocked at good amount and the promise of reopening anything in the next two months is something I would take with grain of salt. But if he is a gamer, it might be safer choice to keep what he has and keep playing during lockdown or he can sell it and use i5's IGP to play 20 year old games indefinitely. Actually I always did the exact opposite, I only sold the old part, once I already had a new one, so yes our opinions are based on our personal values :).

12. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    yeah, exactly,

but you play everything and move on. why keep it? ...

13. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately, I didn't catch that last sentence, can you explain?

14. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    theres not much to play with 2060 on year 2021, January. Play ur games and move on.
    Multiplayer games work on any card.

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I'd go with 10700f,4.6G allcore turbo,and compensate that 300-500mhz with faster ram.

you're ending up with roughly same cost,same performance but lower heat output and temperatures.

as for mobo - that depends on what features you need.I can recommend z490 aorus elite,got one for myself after lenghty research.Reasonaly priced and pretty much every feature you can possily want from a mobo,it has it.Even comes equipped with a third pcie4 ready m.2 slot for rocket lake.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021

16. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Thank you for your replies. I really had it thinking hard about how to proceed. I now believe AMD is a better future-proof option. Despite my original query :)

Component Make Price
    GPU Nvidia 2060 £ -
    CPU AMD 7 5800x £ 389.99
    CPU paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut £ 5.97
    CPU Cooler Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4 £ 69.99
    Tower Fractal Design Define C £ 78.99
    Motherboard MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk £ 199.97
    Power supply EVGA 700W 80+ Gold £ 95.00
    RAM Patior Viper Steel Series (2x8GB) 4000MHZ £ 99.99
    SSD Corsair Force MP510 240GB M.2 SSD £ 40.99

Total: 980.89.

What does look like? I am most doubtful about RAM and SSD (for bootable drive only). It's been a very long while since I kept up to date.

Edit: didn't realise TR4 is a socket. Now it seems I need to find another cooler.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  17. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Threadripper Cooler wont fit on AM4. Unless you got a drill.
    Otherwise its quality components. I do see 10700k being about 40gbp cheaper and delivering same performance with likely better drivers.
    So thats £390 and £200 motherboard + new DDR4 ram for ''gaming''. Thats a lot for gaming without GPU. There was a time not that long ago when you would just go with i5 and put the half the kidney on GPU. I really dont get why now its otherwise. Because Cyberpunk came out? 6 cores, 12 threads ( which is next gen ''12 threads'') is not good anymore?
    hold my beer.
    It looks like a time machine. most likely for multiple Virtual Operating Systems, with premium, hot components. Care to explain why you are still going for Fractal Design which got front air intake from side vents? Noise dampening in front.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  18. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Hi Freeman,

My gaming GPU still is 2060. It runs all things really well @ 1440p. Bit of a shame about the 6GB memory, otherwise it'd a perfect card for me.

Like, I've mentioned I'm looking for 5-6 years of money's value and CPUs (like in my case with i5 4690k) are not always easy to find replacement for without shelling money out for a new motherboard, new cooler, ram and so on. Hence, 8c/16t new architecture CPU to last a long while.

Regarding the case - i just liked it. Seems to match minimalistic preference approach I so bagged it. Would you care to advice for better alternatives maybe?

Thanks.

19. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
  20. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Agreed. I think this is certainly better. Built around the AMD 7 5800X candidate list:

Component Make Price
    GPU Nvidia 2060 £ -
    CPU AMD 7 5800x £ 389.99
    CPU paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut £ 5.97
    CPU Cooler DARK ROCK PRO 4 £ 79.99
    Tower Corsair 4000D £ 77.56
    Motherboard MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk £ 199.97
    Power supply EVGA 700W 80+ Gold £ 95.00
    RAM Patriot Viper Steel Series (2x8GB) 4000MHZ £ 99.99
    SSD Corsair Force MP510 240GB M.2 SSD £ 40.99

This is my updated ingredient list. Along with rtx 2060.