NVIDIA and AMD Graphics card shortages to last thoughout H1 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Me on my 1080 right now, wanting to jump to the 3060 ti at least...To find them only costing like $300000000 :(

Airbud and Mandoscottie like this.
  2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Anyone who bought a videocard at retail in the last year or so probably feels lucky. I surely do.

I'd like to upgrade, but I'll be waiting this nonsense out. I might email a manufacturer directly to plead for them to please sell me a couple video cards so my children can game rather than some neckbeard buying his 83rd and 84th mining cards.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. linoleum

linoleum Member

GPU:
    Gigabytes RTX3060Ti
    I ordered and paid my 3060 TI on December 2nd and only got it today... This is madness.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I am absolutely disgusted by this scalping.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Apart from getting a boost to some VR games that a 30xx card would bring, i will just continue on with my GTX1080 for 2021 without any real impact, as i did through the entire RTX20xx release.

Airbud likes this.
  6. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF

Yes, it sure is ironic, that nVidia wanted to stop Hardware Unboxed from receiving review samples because they didn't touch on RTX and DLLS all that much. However, they don't seem to have a problem selling them to miners, because hey, they are obviously using DLSS and RTX lol.

jbscotchman and olymind1 like this.
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This isn't the same at all. Nvidia sends Hardware Unboxed samples of their cards for review. They don't send miners samples of their cards. Miners one way or another find a way to buy mass amounts of video cards.

Airbud and rdmetz like this.
  8. Legacy-ZA

Legacy-ZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070Ti TUF
    Seems to like game companies should sue GPU vendors for the shortage, they are losing customers. :p After all; they designed their latest titles with these new hardware features like DLSS and RTX in mind but now most gamers cant get ahold of the hardware that can run them properly, causing them to lose sales.

Valken likes this.
  9. HansR

HansR Member

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super Trio
    I played original Crysis 5 years after its release :). There are a lot of past games that are worth to revisit. I am gonna keep my 2070 Super for a long time and still have MSI 970 ME lying on the shelf.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Such as contacting a wholesaler/warehouse and buying them under the guise of being a retailer

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    My understanding of Bitcoin mining was that the days of mining using PC based GPUs was long, long gone... the way it works is the complexity is designed to increase over time (becomes rarer) so much more calculations required to "mine" a new Bitcoin.

And the amount mined are absolutely microscopic too - a tiny fraction of a single BTC. and the only way to mine it now was using custom ASIC hardware.

Has something suddenly changed in mining or are those still buying GPUs to mine Bitcoin complete idiots?

Or are they mining something else and just people here and elsewhere assuming these people are mining Bitcoin?

The only way to get significant Bitcoin was to have bought or mined it in the very early days years ago - nowadays it is a mugs game.

I once met a guy no older than me who did that when it started and he had over 100,000 BTC in his wallet - that multi-GPU rig pictured about would not be able to mine even 1 BTC if left running for next 50 years.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Eterium I think and V2 and how the rates are now fantastic so the Radeon VII, Ampere probably a lot from GDDR6X here and also Navi20 are all great at GPU accelerated crypto mining.

These aren't small home things either these can be big enterprises with warehouse sized racks.
    [​IMG]

Resources to boot too like hiring in airplanes and all sorts of things.

EDIT: Think there some steak involved too. :p

Well proof of stake something really, I am not too sure on how it works but the CPU based farms could be multiple buildings and a lot of racks I would imagine the GPU ones can be scaled similarly too.

Not sure how it looks like without sales figures or numbers and how much of the actual stocks and shipments just kinda go "elsewhere" before hitting retailers at all but there's probably some amount but without official numbers or figures it's hard to say though there's plenty of pics of ampere and navi20 GPU racks though less sizeable than the bigger warehouses and sites that are built for CPU and GPU mining but if there were pictures of these it'd probably look about the same inside these for the 2019 - 2020 GPU mining boom here.

EDIT:
    Not too sure how it works after that though various restrictions and connections to Dark Net trading has led to some changes (Think it was something like that at least around here?) but I suppose there's still something you buy or trade these bit coins for without hitting the gray market or black market so you can actually have it in some form of tangible cash after that.

EDIT: Ah I don't need that second image it's right up there a few posts back.
    Finding this all fascinating but I don't fully understand it, any one change or snag and you have a lot of GPU's drawing power and very little earnings suddenly.

But it apparently comes and goes in waves and those bigger players involved here seem ready to just buy up a sheet-ton of stock of GPU's or CPU's whatever is currently the best at this for the next jump in crypto currency and hardware accelerated coin mining.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm gonna try my hardest to get a 3060 on launch for MSRP, whatever the cheapest model is I don't care. Probably gonna be a waste of time though.

Airbud likes this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    No GPUs for gamers this year i guess!...

Maybe in 2022 if we are lucky...

Good thing my 1080ti is still going strong.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Mandoscottie likes this.
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

precisely. i didn't even bother to count the gpus shown, but as they have one owner this is the force multiplication of the miner vs consumer.

given the shrinking PC market overall, it's not hard to see why miners have overtaken gamers, even if more people game than mine, and this is why the console market isn't nearly as affected - they're just having typical rollout issues.

and this is to show that all the orders are being fulfilled by Samsung and TSMC.

it is on Nvidia and AMD (and Intel soon) to do proper projection and to actually pay attention to the crypto market. its even better to spin off mining only cards before production and project each market separately.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This would not have been a problem if there were enough advanced fabs that could take a load off TSMCs production capacity. Something unnerving about TSMC (and Samsung) as the lone major fabs capable of cutting edge processes that others cant match. The technology is so complex that even Intel cant do 7nm. So we're all at the whims and mercy of TSMC who decides which companies get what chips and on what schedules.

Embra likes this.
  17. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Hard pass on this gen. I could see them delaying next gen to get their money's worth out of this gen as others have mentioned, but I'd rather wait and see. Don't feel like buying year old tech if there is a chance that next gen is right around the corner. The eternal struggle...

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  18. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    And pricing is pushed up, which is passed on up the supply chain.

19. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Excellent, if I'm in a pinch I can sell my 3090 for £2000+ :D

rdmetz and Undying like this.
  20. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Well if it is the mining to blame, i would have an hypothesis which might favour my kind of people in future. Surge of mid and high mid range cards in the 2nd hand market, when this mining craze is over . May be a yesr from now?:)