The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well, gotta wait a day, it's arriving tomorrow instead.

Thanks Covid!

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Funny how things go like that. Back in the days of Phenom II had a case where added two more 2GB DDR800 sticks so that all dimms were populated. Memtest86 spat out errors like there was no tomorrow. Was convinced though that the timings and the ram was good as set. So fired up Prime95 and let that run for 72 hours. Not a single error. Some bios settings needed to be changed and DRAM voltage increased but in the end all was good. Ran Memtest86 again to be sure and errors again. Have ignored that program ever since. Stories are dime a dozen. First hand knowledge of what is being experienced is what matters. Hope all goes well with the new kit.

Passus likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

kanenas likes this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Only 1 of the 4 sticks of my kit is error free, and that's at just 2400 MHz.

Aleast i can use the system with 8GB for now.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well even with the "no error" RAM stick i got a BSOD.

I wonder if my CPU is borked?

Anyways i'm now on AGESA 1.1.0.0 Patch B, cuz after googling people seem to have to most stable results with it.

So far i have been on 1.1.0.0 Patch C and 1.1.9.0.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Managed to actually play a game for an hour so far without crashing on AGESA 1.1.0.0 Patch B.

EDIT:

Well nevermind.

I hope the G.Skill memory i get tomorrow is the solution, otherwise i will go back to Intel, i'm reading too many Ryzen horror stories on the internet.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I did the benchmark thingy in cpu-z, not sure if it's a good or bad score... the reference 3700x is a bit faster which makes sense xD

The only thing I am doing is undervolting by 0.05000v, honestly not bothered if that hurts it's performance at all, performance of it like this is phenominal compared to my FX 8320.

[​IMG]

Also, I flashed to the newest beta bios which is AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0, is there any real reason for me to enable Resizable BAR with my current video card?

*edit*

Something I just noticed, in the spd timings list it has 56 tRC for XMP-3200, but my memory with it's default settings that the motherboard does by itself is set to 75 tRC, should I change that manually to 56 tRC?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Since you flashed a BIOS with AGESA 1.1.90 you should have something called FMAX in the bios.
    Enabling that along with global c-state [on] and CPPC and CPPC prefered cores will give you better performance and stability than
    your -0.05v undervoltage and a cooler running system as well.

big ROBOT bill and KissSh0t like this.
  9. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I found c-state option and turned it on, although FMAX and CPPC options I cannot find, I don't think they exist for this motherboard "ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus Wi-Fi", or they are called something else.

Put voltage back to default also then ran the cpu-z benchmark again, single core went up to 510.5, multicore went down to 4092.0.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's very dangerous to manually volt Zen3 i heard.

Even if you set it to 1.3 you can degrade your CPU, as Zen3 isn't about voltage, but current.

The high temps are perfectly fine as well.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That stems from a earlier 1.35v statement for Zen2 in reviews and benchmarks which really wasn't good and can kill the CPU likely will at least degrade it alongside how the CPU ramps up to 1.5v during short bursts but voltage is also together with the overall CPU workload the number of cores involved and then you have the favored cores, different CCX and importantly also the current flowing through the hardware. :D

HWInfo or other sensor utilities and then I need to check the name of it but during different workloads ideally a benchmark putting the CPU to work the maximum value here is regarded as your CPU's maximum all-core safe voltage and you should avoid exceeding this.

On some processors this can be close to 1.25v on others below 1.2v it's normally regarded as better to utilize PBO and now with PBO2 and the curve optimizer you can work in a balance of various offsets there's a stepping here too -3 to -5 I think so something like -10 would be -30mv I'm not 100% on this I have a Zen2 CPU and no access to PBO2 and the curve optimizer.

Sigh well explanation comes down to balancing a manual over or maybe even better a under volt and letting the multi-threaded performance and CPU boosting improve although it's tough to beat AMD's automatic system and single core performance might suffer from lowering these. :)

So yeah different CPU's different binning, build quality, silicon lottery and varying voltages and the actual max safe limit for your own hardware and working from this number or utilizing PBO2 with Zen3 and trying to work in a system of scaling here knowing which CCX is best and which is worst the various CPU's within and setting all that up so you can scale higher with less thus maintaining or hitting a even higher maximum boost during multi-threaded workloads.

Phew, this is pretty light there's a whole bunch of stuff around the SOC, infinity fabric, RAM and other speeds and voltages plus what the bios and motherboard vendor has like Gigabyte possibly applying a bit extra or ASUS and MSI on 1.1.9.0 or later maybe fluctuating a bit or the droop curving a bit and yeah...

I'm no expert, keep the CPU around 70 degrees Celsius it starts throttling around 74 I think and keep it either on automatic or enable PBO but be sure the cooling is adequate otherwise it'll throttle yet use more voltage so you get more power consumption and heat for little benefit.

There's a bunch of things to tinker with and fine tune the settings you can get some really good undervolt results with just a slight drop in single thread performance with a boost in multi thread otherwise the automatic settings are usually fairly good but results do change as AMD adjusts the AGESA code and what the various motherboard vendors apply and use here and current ongoing issues.

Probably much better guides walking through the steps here too start with XMP and infinity fabric and then work from there making sure that's stable first as going from 2400 JEDEC to 3200 XMP and higher will be a nice gain first plus ensuring the system doesn't hit some error or anything here which has also been a ongoing issue but gotten better even allowing up to 1900 DDR4 3800 linking now on well binned system components. :)

EDIT: And yeah because it burst up like that for handling various tasks the CPU does often sit at a bit higher temperature plus the voltage but there's also the actual voltage which is what Ryzen Master and a few others can report it's not sitting at 1.5v that's just very short boosts.

I'm trying to remember the basics and some of the advanced extras but it's not too easy, thankfully there's more comprehensive guides and explanations available and most of what applies to Zen2 also works with Zen3 though it has it's own advantages and improvements as well.

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It depends on Temperature mostly (to degrade silicon - it's physics that's all)
    Do not use 1.4v+ at more than 80deg. C. -> and it will be fine :D

I can (i have) 1.375v with +4.4GHz on 4CCX and 1.31v on 4.3GHz All Core
    Most of the time tho im at 4.2GHz 1.181v

Never saw Temps exceeding 65deg C.
    After more than a Year my CPU behaves exactly the same, same OC same Temps etc.

Nothing degraded, CPU is still kickin' Great

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    PBO Fmax Enhancer
    [​IMG]

CPPC
    [​IMG]

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well, new RAM kit BSODs as hard, i think i may actually have a broken Infinity Fabric.

Gonna build back my 4770K, i've had enough of this nonsense.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Guys , it seems some 5600X and 5800X have 2 CCDs and can be unlocked :)

17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    to a 16 core chip??

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kx4okk/underfox_on_twitter_the_use_of_a_mini_processor/

https://twitter.com/Underfox3/status/1349634402616283137

Hmm.

A co-processor for managing the processor or in this case the SOC.

A power processor!
    Well it certainly sounds interesting.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    New ram kit also crashes everytime? Could be the board. You have any other system to test the ram?

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    So seeing this made me realize there was a search function in the bios xD

Enabled the settings and run cpu-z benchmark again.

[​IMG]

I'm idling at 35c now, temperature seems a bit more stable.

@TheDeeGee

Damn.... that sucks so much, will you be able to get a replacement?