NVIDIA and AMD Graphics card shortages to last thoughout H1 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  2. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    So I survived 1st mining craze to be offered either ridiculous 20xx RTX cards or semi-ok AMD 5xxx card with a chance of blackscreens. Than everybody was like - hold on, dont buy current gen, get next gen, it will be so powerfull that it will depreciate the price of old gen completely (which was true and 2080ti owners will deffo approve) .. and now these cards will be sold out straight up for a year since release..

You know what? PC gaming has a big problem. My gtx 970 still plays the games I want to play. But god damn it the eff is this crap?

3. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Do u guys think its the corona to blame ? or whats going on whats the real reason behind this ?

4. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I didn’t expect my 2080Ti to be good value when I got it two years ago. Now people want to buy it and pay hella lotta money for it lol!

rdmetz and fantaskarsef like this.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I don't think we should blame just a single thing, but it has surely caused a lot of issues, especially earlier on.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    At this point I just lost all hope tbh. Whenever I will finally get a 3000 card it will the most underwhelming feeling of "happiness" I ever had after buying a new piece of hardware. And yeah, the crypto boom couldn't have happened at a worse moment in time.

lmimmfn, Kaarme and Legacy-ZA like this.
  7. Serega_Mih

Serega_Mih Member

GPU:
    GainwardGTX1660S
    Ok, so let's write it down, there are no cards in 2021;)

Valken and Solfaur like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, because it won't anymore even be a new piece of hardware. Perhaps this fiasco of a launch will make Nvidia and AMD push back the release of the next generation. It would allow them to build up a decent stock as well.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    There is no fiasco launch for amd nor nvidia, they sell every card they manufacture in seconds. Thry cant be more happy!

Also, no this is not a corona thing.

Its another wave of crypto mining. Bitcoin was 40k usd yesterday. Same huge price for other crypto so ppl buy the cards and mine like crazy.

Also, because all events outside have been cancelled, the number of users of steam, discord etc has increased 2 times and all these milions of ppl want their HW.

Combine the two and u get the sh1t we have now. Its even worse than in 2017 or when was the 1st mining craze wave

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Haha, of course they could be. They sell every single card they manufacture immediately, but if they could manufacture a lot more, they would still sell them all immediately. That's like running a shop and having to turn every other customer away from the door. Of course they would be wary of repeating history due to the unpredictable mining demand and possible second-hand item flood in the market, but we are surely far away from that situation yet.

MaCk0y likes this.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Ban cryptocurrency.

jbscotchman and MonstroMart like this.
  12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    This. Neither Nvidia nor AMD are happy. Because they both know they can sell more cards, bringing in many more millions in revenue in the earlier part of 2021. Consumers might find alternatives or lose interest and that is a loss for them. The last thing a business wants is knowing that there is high demand for their product/services but are unable to meet that demand, losing revenue in the process. Much more frustrating than offering an inferior product/service and the consumer choosing the competitor. In this case they are not even concerned about each other! Plus they want to recoup the R&D costs as early as possible and start profiting.

Kaarme likes this.
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I got r6800. Feels like i won on the lottery. Yet i paid 650 eur....

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    No question that AFAIC the RTX-3k and the RX-6k GPU launches are the worst launches of new 3d cards I've ever seen since I bought my first Voodoo2 in the late 90's. The performance increases since then are phenomenal--considering that twin Voodoo2's for SLI that year cost ~$600. What you can get for ~$600 today blows them away...uh, if you can get them, or get them at anywhere near $600. I don't believe the excuse from either company that "demand was unprecedented" because it isn't easy to even find posts from people who have successfully purchased the GPUs--I've seen very few to date--I mean less than two dozen "verified" purchase posts to date I've seen. I have often had the suspicion that product review sites got the bulk of the cards produced. Something is very wrong with this picture if it takes both companies 7-9 months after launch to ramp up production sufficient to meet actual demand, even though they both announced general availability in October! That hearkens back to the old days of formally announcing GPUs six months or more before launching them. I had thought we were past all that. Would have been better had both companies done that, imo.

Airbud, tunejunky and JAMVA like this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Corona? what do you mean the cards are doing exactly what they were made to do.

[​IMG]

Airbud, Solfaur, tunejunky and 2 others like this.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I've always felt the difference between now and the mining fad was that during the mining fever there was no trouble finding the GPUs, even though you might have to pay through the nose to get one. Today, they aren't available at any cost. AMZN has some scalpers listing RX6000's (not 69s or XTs) for ~$1600+, but it's amusing that when you click on the link it says "earliest delivery" is two to three weeks off...;) At that price it should be overnighted to your door with champagne complements...;) But--even as they advertise them for the prices only idiots would pay they have none in stock, obviously. One AMZN scalper company was very amusing--click on the link and it said "Cannot deliver to your area." Click on company info to find the scalper lives in the next state. Probably fraud, so the scalper doesn't want Interstate activity to make a federal case out of it, literally...;) Hard to understand why AMZN tolerates that garbage as it is so obvious.

tunejunky likes this.
  17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    What a waste of energy for a virtual currency whose sole purpose is more and more speculative investment. I don't know any commerce where i live accepting any form of virtual currency. The price of a bitcoin is so crazy i don't see how it can be considered viable as a form of currency other than an investment akin to the stock market.

Solfaur, tunejunky and 0blivious like this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I find it funny how people always mention the 2080TI and their mostly negative impression of the card. While it does indeed have a horrible price / performance ratio (especially since Nvidia refreshed their line-up with Ampere), I'm still happy I got a 2080TI.
    This allowed me to try and see what RT does, e.g. in Cyberpunk, where we see many of the effects for the first time. And without RT I'm still doing fine in the games I play tbh... and I didn't have to go through the enterprise of buying a 3080 in 2020.

That said, I hope this whole situation wears off soon... everybody wanting a new card should get one, be it AMD or Nvidia. But then 2020 happened. And that's pretty much all there is to say. And yes, GPU mining is annoying, but we will have to live with it until the general economic stability returns later in 2021 / 2022, then it will probably see massive drops again, and with that, the demand for new mining farms and GPUs.

Airbud and tunejunky like this.
  19. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    It's annoying how those companies can lie like that, they know exactly why normal people can't buy their cards. It's not "HUGE DEMAND FROM GAMERS", gamers did not suddenly become rich and crazy and are able to pay 1000 Euro or more for 3080. Nor do they buy 3060Ti at double the MSRP, if they can because they most of the time they are being bought faster than you can click "add to cart". It's miners, not corona and not gamers. Even if we would not had covid you still would not be able to buy those GPUs. At the same time I can go to local sites in my country and buy a ready to use mining rig with 6-8-10 3060Ti/3080. Last time I checked most popular GPU was 1060, because it was affordable. Not because you have to pay a small fortune for it. Miners can afford those prices, because they will get their money back fairly quickly, BTC won't crash next week. And when it does sometime in 2021 they will simply sell those GPUs on a second hand market, of course with no mention that they were mining, perfect condition! Nvidia can make any amount of those special mining cards they want, miners will still buy normal versions because of second hand market.
    AMD is no better, they prioritize making APUs for consoles, any 6800XT they make is just a bonus. But I saw some 6800XT from Sapphire, XFX available in stock, overpriced for 999 Euro but still at least they were there. Now why suddenly you cannot buy last gen card 5700XT? Or if you can it's double the price. Did gamers also suddenly snatch those? No, it's because they mine the same as 6800XT but for lower price.
    I hope nvidia gets a lawsuit again for misrepresenting sales and stops this bullshit called huge demand from gamers.

olymind1 likes this.
  20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I survived the CPU and GPU shortage 2020 by playing OLD games, again.

I didn't buy a single new game or DLC. Just got some mods, ran multiple instances of Doom and played LOCAL with controllers and friends.

I forgot how much fun was it when things were simpler.

NOT going to drop 1000+ USD just to have nicer graphics yet buggy games for 20 hours.

Airbud, Keno34, Sukovsky and 4 others like this.