Intel DG2 GPU will be fabbed on latest TSMC 7nm fabrication process

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Quetzall

Quetzall Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 670OC SLI
    Competition is always good. But I seriously doubt that Intel will take the performance crown in the GPU department.

BReal85 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It does not have to take the crown just to be competitive.

BReal85 and schmidtbag like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I thought it was gonna be 6nm

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, we'll see. There hasn't been a third player on the field of desktop GPUs for a while now.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seems like Intel is not expecting to sell too many units because TSMC can't manufacture them too many chips. Radeon 6000 series is even more scarce than Nvidia 3000, and from what I've understood, shop shelves aren't exactly in a danger of collapsing from the weight of PS5 and Xbox Series x. Ryzen 5000 is also suffering from supply issues, but new Threadrippers and EPYCs should still be made. Not to mention all the smartphone processors and such that haven't yet moved onto the 5nm node. This the process that Intel is planning to use for its GPUs, huh? They would have far more room in their own facilities.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It will take only one thing. Production capacity AMD/nVidia needs.

alanm, H83, SpajdrEX and 3 others like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    First reasonable move I've heard from Intel in quite some time.

XenthorX and cucaulay malkin like this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And here I was hopsing to see it on a 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

XenthorX, fantaskarsef and itpro like this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yes, I think this is the important detail. What Intel needs to do is buy themselves more time. The longer they can keep customers from switching, the sooner they can start producing a competitive chip. An easy way to do that is to soak up the the production line of their competitors. That's probably why Nvidia went to Samsung, because they knew AMD was hogging too many of TSMC's resources and would hurt their yields. Well... Nvidia wasn't wrong. If we think availability for either company's products are bad today, I would expect the availability to have halved if Nvidia went to TSMC.

alanm, H83 and Fox2232 like this.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Back to the wall, but smart move. I'm curious now.
    Wondering which part of the market they're going for. Mainstream <300$?

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Apparently 400-600$ gpus so it got me even more curious. Can they even compete with high end amd and nvidia.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

NOT

TSMC has not experienced any bottlenecks in its 7nm(+) process node.
    there is a brand new fab for 5nm (at 60% production), and the flavors of 7nm are being produced at three (massive) fabs.

blame the production and shipping problems elsewhere like press lead time (Months!), customs in several countries (i.e. Taipei, Japan, U.S., China) that produce the product beginning to end, shipping back and forth (esp. for GPUs), AIB's correcting sales figures (downward), and most importantly for nerds, too much time on our hands without tweaking components.

and YES, this is a bit of a shocker for Intel. one would expect them to go the same route as their cpus.
    but to me, this is damning for their production as this tells me that the defect rate is still too high at the desired node (affecting the cost and profit margin - not worth it for sub $500 chips).

fantaskarsef and Kaarme like this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    nope. performance will be at what's now the new mainstream but with a premium - which they'll get from newbs

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Is that for real? I've heard before that GDDR6 might also be found in lacking quantities, but I wasn't sure what to think of that. This certainly surprises me if true. It more or less means the manufacturers are refusing to sell despite high demand because the reasons you listed are nothing but excuses, at the end of the day. Nothing that couldn't be handled better if there was a will to handle it better. Unless they really are shipping 75% of production straight to miners, which means they are doing splendid business indeed.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

yuppers for really real. and demand is only high for enthusiasts in a shrinking component market

Covid has put the fear of god into the supply chain
    given that this is last q of fiscal year i only expect things to loosen up if Eur or US show impressive GDP for last q. don't hold your breath

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    No DXR Features?

18. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    You seem to be directly contradicting TSMC that have stated that not only are they at full capacity but they are investing in new Fabs and turning away potential orders.

19. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    It definitely won't, but the more manufactuters are in the market, the better priced products customers may get. At least in a normal world. :D

Undying likes this.
  20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I really hope both intel and Samsung will catch up to tsmc we do not want semiconductor monopoly , some competition to keep the waffer prices in check is needed else they can charge an arm and a leg is not like anyone else can produce the same chips on bleeding edge lithography.