Bitcoin tops $40,000

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by alanm, Jan 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    RIP gaming 2021.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ah, one day when it all crashes we'll have all the gpus we want. :rolleyes:

4. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

"Bitcoin"

lol

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Pete J, BlindBison, ZXRaziel and 3 others like this.
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Finnish customs has 1 981 Bitcoins which they are looking to sell. I hope that they manage to do that while the prices are high.

Bitcoin is not for me, looks like a pyramid scam and value can drop at any time for no reason, or might also go up in value for no reason...

tfam26 likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Noisiv likes this.
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Hindsight is 20/20.

Imagine that I mined several tens of bitcoin with a Pentium 4 CPU...
    Outcome: "wth is this s***? It doesn't do anything other than keeping my CPU at 100%"

Deleted the program (along with what I found out later that it had a "wallet")

Would be over a million $ now...
    ... oh well.

Valken, Brasky, Noisiv and 1 other person like this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @wavetrex
    Oh man, what a bummer.
    Glad that I have only this regret, but feel sorry for you man.

386SX likes this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I had around 8 or 9 when I stopped and uninstalled.

Aaaaaaand ..... it's gone. :(

Airbud, Noisiv and wavetrex like this.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    No need to feel sorry. I learned to live with it many years ago.

At that time nobody really knew what was that thing, other than probably the mysterious creator(s) and their friends... (which are probably billionaires right now. Nice scam dudes !)

I found it by accident on a tech forum where people used it to test the stability of their CPUs, alongside stuff like Seti@Home or Prime95.
    "Hey look this program keeps your CPU @ 100%, leave it overnight and see if your PC is still running" (or something of that sort)

Nobody ever imagined at that time that people will burn the electricity of entire countries to... I dunno, test their CPUs???
    What an insanity this has become.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

^^ me
    10 years ago
    ever since: hoard & hodl :)

As for "reason" (for a particular value): same as with anything else, be it Nvidia GPU, dollar or a barrel of oil:
    - Supply and Demand. And fear and panic and optimism and manipulations and headlines and feelings.
    Facts don't care about your feelings? Plx go back to school - feelings are the facts.

Other than that ^^ , there is nothing more (or less) to any product's value.
    Anyone telling you there is anything more fundamental or deterministic or rational, is either completely clueless dinosaur or lying.

The only reason why I am able to resist liquidating during slumps is extremely basic:
    Bitcoin is too well recognized, and by far the most leading crypto, yet...
    It's total supply for a whole wide world will never ever exceed 21 Million coins.

Hence: The only direction LOOONG (has been and still) is:
    UP

PS
    Just in case: don't confuse this with an endorsement. I'm not suggesting anything to anyone.

13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    you're a better man than me, I lost 30k in crypto during the last boom and am still a bitter asshole about it today.

Airbud likes this.
  14. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

*high five*

In similar news, cookie sales/prices were down this Christmas due to a lack of belief in Santa Clause among functional adults.

This kind of thing is so fragile its insane not to mention easily corrupted/manipulated. There are so many more meaningfully profitable and, above all, FULFILLING ways to invest money than creating a giant room full of scalped GPUs frying your brain and balls with EMF.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I bought shares in Amazon, Astrazeneca and, several supermarkets this year...I'm happy:), and my FA is happy, too - she bought a new boat this year.

Would not go near a cryptocurrency ever...it has no value (as I've said many times) because it is not legal tender.

The day you can pay your taxes with cryptocurrency is the day I take note of it, but on that day - how fast do you think a supercomputing cluster by a foreign government will be directed to crunch out some numbers?

The stock market is not that difficult to figure out people, and, do not be surprised if some companies delist this year, that is the thing to look for, because they do not like giving profits away to shareholders, nor, answering to them.

This year will see companies buy back stocks, increasing the value of the shares hugely, and perhaps, buying up the entire stock issue to delist from the stock exchange they were issued from.

That's my 2021 prediction people > buy more shares in firms that are cash rich and shed stock in 'high volume' companies, that deal with lots of transactions (like airlines) and so are competing against other high volume entities, forcing this 'race to zero' effect, eradicating profits margins, just to be seen as competitive.

I'd also look into commodities, like lithium, copper, nickel, sugar.

Coolerking, ZXRaziel, Airbud and 5 others like this.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Loobyluggs that's solid financial advice right there.
    Thanks!!

Loobyluggs likes this.
  17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    All those naysayers wished they came in at 30,000 and sell now at 40,000!

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    An Irish drug dealer has lost access to a bitcoin fortune worth millions of euros after the access codes were reportedly sent to a landfill site.

Clifton Collins, 49, wrote the private keys to digital wallets containing 6,000 bitcoin onto a sheet of A4 paper, which he hid in a fishing rod case in early 2017.

Collins, who is originally from Dublin, was arrested later that year and jailed for five years for cannabis-related offences. His landlord subsequently cleared many of his possessions from his house and sent them to a landfill site in County Galway.

According to the Irish Times, who first reported the story, workers at the dump remembered seeing discarded fishing gear, however waste from the site is sent to incinerators in China and Germany...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...st-cryptocurrency-crime-ireland-a9355691.html

19. mariopepper

mariopepper Guest

GPU:
    64GB
    I was too stupid to reject my friend's proposal to buy some...

20. mariopepper

mariopepper Guest

GPU:
    64GB
    Are you gonna ever buy them again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.