NVCPL VSync not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PPC, Jan 7, 2021.

1. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    After long time i tried enabling vsync today in NVCPL but when i do so, globally or thru a profile, nothing happens in any of the games, no vsync. If i enable vsync ingame it works as intended but supposedly enabling it thru nvcpl should be better for input lag.

I game mostly in windowed mode but even tho some i heard claims that windows desktop manager will apply vsync anyway i dont find that to be true. Without vsync there is tearing and the framerate goes above the refresh rate, with vsync theres none of that and fps is limited to 120 by vsync (and refresh rate).

Does forcing vsync thru nvcpl works for others? 3060Ti, Win10, lastest driver (one from today and the one before, same thing)

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Forcing Vsync AFIK from the drivers generally does nothing if you use Windowed/Borderless. That's entirely up to how the game is coded to run in that mode(FlipModel ) and Windows DWM.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    If you use Nvidia Profile Inspector to edit profiles, it may be good to clean install the latest driver and not import any profiles until you make sure the behavior you're looking for, is working.

profile inspector can sometimes invisibly conflict with whats in the Nvidia Control Panel and sometimes changing a setting back and forth in the control panel clears the issue, or you need to restore the defaults for your profile store (some ways are to clean install through DDU or nvidia installer).

I had to do this today after seeing that the ultra low latency cap with g-sync wasn't not working when vsync was force-enabled in the control panel, when updating from 460.97 to 461.09 and importing inspector profiles.

4. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Thanks for the replays! Actually after some tinkering i managed to find a game in which it actually works, windowed or fullscreen. Its MechWarrior 5.

All other games i have do not work either fullscreen or windowed which i find a bit weird. No inspector active at this time. Really dont know whats this about, it does work so im a bit perplexed.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah it been like for as long as I can remeber and now that MS is pretty much force alot thing in to a form of windowed/bordless so there "gamebar" xbox crap show in game, it make me wonder if there is any point to that in NVCP? it forces even old game to use that borderless stuff no?

But Vsync in NVCP has only effect fullscreen exclusive.

But if problem is happen both? maybe clean install of driver will help

6. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Its a fresh windows and most recent drivers installed, it aint that (i hope).

To me it looks like most of my library is having some vsync issues lol, tough luck.

BTW, MechWarrior 5 does accept nvcpl settings either fullscreen or windowed/borderless, so some games do manage to get nvcpl vsync in windowed mode. Also, since i think 2015 even gsync got support for windowed mode, i think your "windowed mode = no vsync" claim might be slightly outdated. ;)

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Vsync in NVCP dont effect anything but Fullscreen exclusive, any thing using windowed/borderless is using it "own" form of VSYNC that DONT cap to monitor hz, (been like this since window aero was introduce so win7?) only way to stop that is disable windows aero which only worked in win 7 and 8? i know of no way to disable it in win 10.

if your not getting "tearing" in windowed/bordleress mode it cause it using it own form of vsync you can test this by easily puting vysnc on in nvcp and see that the windowed/borderless has no tearing and ISNT caped at monitor HZ

Strickly speaking windowed/borderless dont use "vsync" nor is effected by NVCP setting cause it using it own form of vsync to stop the tear. only way to force actual vsync in windowed/boarderless is to do threw the game if they has vsync option

I am sure @Astyanax bunch of other can explain this better

If your tearing in windowed/borderless and in fullscreen exclusive ( which rare these days) cause window pretty much force windowed/borderless these days, then you have other issue.

but NVCP vsync setting only effect fullscreen exclusive

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    NVCP vsync can affect optimized fullscreen though :cool:

9. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Im not claiming anything except that on my configuration MechWarrior 5 picks up VSYNC settings in any mode, including windowed/borderless. Its not that "it doesnt tear", the FPS is locked to 120 and there is no tearing. No other game does this so far, its a fresh windows, almost no customizations (none on the gpu anyway).

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    last i check MW5 support in game vsync, which only form of vsync i know of that work in both windowed/fullscreen (exclusive) NVCP setting for Vsync has zero effect on actual boarderless/windowed games except for the above exception mention by Astyanax The game also support caps of 60hz and 120hz https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/MechWarrior_5:_Mercenaries

if game has it own vsync it will work cause it impleneted in to th the game, dont mistake in game setting for nvcp settings

11. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    MW5 does support in game Vsync but i turned it off. I'm telling you that it will also picks up NVCPL settings when its turned on in both fullscreen exclusive AND windowed/borderless so the claim that Vsync from NVCPL only works on FS exclusive is not valid, i mean i got proof, should i video it?

Also, no other game i have atm will pick up NVCPL setting for Vsync even in FS exclusive, when theres an ingame potion that works no questions asked.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    considering you been told it dont by multiple people at this point short of "NVCP vsync can affect optimized fullscreen though" as mentioned by Astyanax which is also set on by defualt, And windows for last few builds is forcing game to use form of windowed/borderless, regardless of game settings in most cases, which last I check is optimized fullscreen.

Either way no it wont help you have some other problem with your pc if it only working in MW5, uninstall drivers with DDU and installed newer drivers,

NVCP Vsync as far I can tell from my own tests only effect FS if the game overrides what windows is doing with "fullscreen optimised" or it actual is using full screen optimism. but it in no way effect windowed/bordless boxes. which what other have already mentioned.

sorta like Triple buffering dont effect DX and only effect OpenGL and took Nvidia many many year to update to just mention OpenGL

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  13. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Theres no reason to talk to me like im being stubborn or ignorant. Yes, everybody said "it dont work" but im telling you etiher that aint 100% or i stumbled on an anomaly. Neither is impossible. Im aware of OGL and triple buffering in nvcpl not being transparent for years (decade even).

Here is the proof, normally i use rivatuner statistics server to limit fps to 120 and i retested MW5 with nvcpl vsync setting in windowed mode, it does pick it up. I encourage someone else to test it out.

https://imgur.com/a/xjhWHeK

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @tsunami231 I think he's on to something. WoW Shadowlands only runs in Windowed Fullscreen but does keep my NVCPL Vsync enabled setting (I have Vsync disabled in WoW and I don't use any in game limiters). I know for sure that it wasn't always like that.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    WoW uses directflip

16. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well I can see that as only a good thing. I'd rather have discrete control.

BlindBison likes this.
  18. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    As it's already been stated, windowed mode/borderless windowed mode will force "Fast Sync" so you shouldn't get tearing, but it will look very stuttery/jittery (or, at least this is how it used to work -- I haven't tested this for a bit so perhaps it's changed to be overrideable like other users are saying above).

In Fullscreen mode, I have run into the driver V-Sync not turning on/working, but only when using Half-Refresh V-sync via Nvidia Inspector. On a later driver/inspector version this resolved itself, but I have run into it being broken in the past. At the time the only way I could get it to work was to fully reinstall the driver on a clean install then switch the setting on in inspector each time, but it would stop working after a single launch of the games for whatever reason. Now it works for me though so that was a temp issue on my old laptop.