RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah I was thinking the 6800 was slightly lowered so it's around 1.125 with the 6800 XT and 6900 XT both using 1.150 but it's actually a little bit more then, should have seen that in reviews but must have forgotten about it. :)

EDIT: Also speaking of that it seems at least a few custom cards use 3x 8-pin connectors.

[​IMG]

But due to AMD's limits it barely does anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kruoul/overclocking_the_red_devil_rx_6900_xt/

So you have a whole 150W extra from the third connector but it goes unused as the limit gets hit before it even factors in around 320 - 350W that's a bit disappointing.

Bit curious as well if AMD and Powercolor or Sapphire and others know something or if they didn't expect AMD to set harder limits from bios or the drivers (Or both.) because the GPU designs would be 2x 8-pin I would think.

Hearing some of these have a slightly higher than reference limit but it looks like AMD's still not allowing it to go as far as it could so there's whatever in the bios and the 15% from Wattman on that which totals at just short of 330 - 350 here depending on scaling.

Also of interest is the boost and junction behavior it seems the GPU holds back around a 74 degree Celsius surface sensor temperature roughly 90 - 95 degrees C for the junction sensor though this one varies a bit. :)

Reviewer mentioned increasing the fan speed then allowed the GPU to boost a bit further.

Not sure if there's been anything at all about this behavior other than AMD's T-Junction sensor maximum of hmm I think it was 100 - 105 Celsius and then the GPU starts throttling, might have been up to 110 though.

With a ~20 degree difference give or take that's around 85 - 90 degrees Celsius for the edge or surface temperature sensor.
    (Which would be above that 74 degree value and where it then starts possibly throttling slightly.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    With MPT +15% in Wattman you can reach stable 2.8... and once the flashing tools are there then I bet someone will try to flash the 6900xt BIOS just to get to the 3.0 limit :)
    Then mayyyybe those 3x 8pin would make sense... else you can get to 2.7 on a 6800xt without the third one and still be on the safe side. Ahh.... I think we all are waiting for some more goodies on the software side now.... flashing tools.... new "big" driver update.... RDLSS or rather "Super Resolution" ... good times incoming ;)

Undying, JonasBeckman and chispy like this.
  3. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    No need to flash 6900xt bios because as far as understood igor's lab german forum via google translate they about to override limits by using same bios and testing it with volunteers right now. (by flasing editied bios)

Post is here by user Hellm : https://www.igorslab.de/community/threads/red-bios-editor-und-morepowertool-bios-einträge-anpassen-optimieren-und-noch-stabiler-übertakten-navi-unlimited.2415/page-22#post-102478

rubene66, JonasBeckman and PrEzi like this.
  4. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Good find !
    Yes they are beta testing the modifications as we speak.... soon we will be able to flash our cards cause the flash tool is working internally already :D
    And then "unlimited powah" ! quite literally for those with 3x 8pins :D
    Update: subscribed to the beta-tests too. Hopefully with that we can cover the full range of navi21 from 6800 to 6900xt.

Update2: Unfortunately hellm (the main dev) is still searching for stable flashing tools.... unfortunately AMD is delaying those...

(tinfoil hat on : or maybe it is planned by AMD till the availability will increase? Cause you know... something can be tuned even more?? Like for the miners etc.... //tinfoil hat off)...
    Nah... AMD wouldn't do that.... wouldn't they... :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Anyone with custom water cooled 6900 xt that can share what temps, clocks they reach?

6. knightriot

knightriot Member

GPU:
    16GB
    Bykski block bro
    upload_2021-1-9_17-19-46.png
    Some game I play benchmark:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Radeon RX 5900 XT ES (former RX 6800 XT) spotted

An interesting leak has just popped up on Chiphell. A member of the forums was able to find an engineering sample of the Radeon RX 5900 XT graphics card from ASRock.
    Such a model has obviously never been released, it was apparently a former name of the graphics card that we now know as Radeon RX 6800 XT.

The sample is based on the ASRock Phantom Gaming design and lacks the most aesthetic parts. It is basically a bare board with a huge heatsink and three fans attached. The board design appears to be similar to the RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming (essentially the final product). It is interesting to see that ASRock was expecting this SKU to launch as Radeon RX 5900 XT before AMD made the decision to introduce the 6000 series instead.

The graphics card has an ‘RX5900XT PGD 16G0’ sticker which basically means RX 5900 XT Phantom Gaming D 16GB OC.
    The original listing appeared with a price tag of 3500 Yuans (540 USD), which is a really good deal.

The author of this preview has not been able to test the graphics card due to lack of supporting driver, however, since it is essentially the same card as the RX 6800 XT Taichi (has the same PCB),
    he ended up flashing a BIOS from a released card. This basically converted the graphics card into RX 6800 XT, supported by the GPU drivers.

-> https://videocardz.com/101494/asrock-radeon-rx-5900-xt-phantom-es-tested-former-rx-6800-xt

JonasBeckman likes this.
  8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080

HAHAHAHHHAHAHA...hhhaahahaa...hahah..ha..haaa.ha.a...

9. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    Your odyssey result is perfect but sotr result is not that much good. I can get better score with 6800xt&5600x which means Sam works really good for sotr but not for odyssey.

10. knightriot

knightriot Member

GPU:
    16GB
    mine trx40 not support sam yet ...... and i using 3970x , so not really good in games :(

xcx xcxvgyt likes this.

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I think that with DXVK you can still get a better score than leave it with native (DX11) support.
    At least partially in case of AC Odyssey (AC Origins really need it, otherwise it's stuttering mess).

12. TaraRead

TaraRead Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900 XT
    Hey everyone first time poster. So essentially I traded my EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra because I was getting VRAM locked in Cyberpunk and happened to come across a PowerColor 6900 XT at MSRP. After much tweaking, my results were pretty surprising. If someone could double check I'm within safe Wattage levels for a reference 6900 XT I'd greatly appreciate it, but I used MPT, set the base wattage to 300, and increased to 15% giving me a wattage output of 345 watts. I obtained a stable OC of 2560 MHZ minimum boost/2760 MHZ maximum with VRAM set to max at 2150 MHZ, and an undervolt of 1050mV.

The results are a bit shocking: [​IMG] I hit 14300 in Firestrike Ultra putting me roughly 11.5% over an AIB 3090 just in benchmarking. My current clocks hold in COD Cold War at 2700 MHZ + constant.[​IMG] More taxing games like Cyberpunk tend to run between 2660 and 2700 + MHZ. My junction temps in hard benching never reached over 102 C, 77C full load and in games it sits around 95C for junction temp and 72 to 76C when running multiple instances of Eve Online. Cyberpunk has a low of 57 FPS on High/Ultra with two Medium settings and a high of 67 FPS. I'm gaming at 5120x1440p in HDR (HDR 1000 rated monitor) and it's a 49 inch Samsung Ultra Wide. Overall I couldn't be happier with the results especially for a reference model on air. I just wanted to make sure I don't need to tone down my power input into the GPU and that 345 Watts is okay. The two images show my 3D mark score and my COD in game benching.Last is Showing Horizon Zero Dawn in HDR : )

https://ibb.co/p4hMFrK

https://ibb.co/D8zWc29

https://i.ibb.co/tZ4tNHc/wow.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    knightriot, JonasBeckman and SpajdrEX like this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The power draw can take up to 375W from the two 8-pins so that's 150W for each at 300W and then 75W from the PCI-E itself.

The 15% increase from Wattman isn't a problem at all and even more so than the 6800XT it helps the GPU maintain a higher maximum clock speed with the additional cores although you do still have some limits on voltage but with the higher binned chips I would imagine 2500 to 2600 Mhz to be doable and the cards can likely take some decrease to voltage too it changes the curve a bit for how boosting works but since you're not hitting the same limits the GPU can in turn maintain a more stable higher than stock boost clock speed. :)

EDIT: Third party software like More Power Tool also exists but they are still working on some of AMD's limits and trying to force them without bypassing those checks would cause the GPU core to clock around 500 Mhz although some settings can be adjusted as as soft mod due to AMD storing the data into the registry for well whatever reason but it's beneficial for this purpose. :)

It's how some benchmark scores show the GPU's hitting 2700 - 2800 with the 6800XT where at 2800 there's the current hard cap from AMD and then around 2900 - 3000 for the 6900XT as the cap here is 3000 from AMD.

Wattman also has a slight offset usually around -50 Mhz from what you set as the maximum but yeah 5 - 8% gains it's pretty useful.

EDIT: SAM or Re-Sizable BAR gains and possibly combined with HGPU / Hardware GPU scheduling and you can add up to 2 - 4% on average on that too.
    (Some games scale really well with SAM/ReBAR though HGPU isn't showing much for now.)

A good way to get the 6800 to close in on the 6800XT and the 6800XT to match the 6900XT which in turn can also pull ahead at least a little bit further. :)
    Especially with the 6900XT being fairly power limited to start with from the extra cores it has.

A relatively safe way for another 5% performance and with some tuning a up to close to 10% with some tweaking or how to say, can take some balancing but AMD set the limits fairly low though the GPU still scales well within these restrictions even so.

Which also makes power draw and voltage values rather safe as voltage can only be decreased by default and wattage or power draw is limited to a good bit before the limit from the PCI-E and 8-pin connectors.

Pushing the voltage down too far can still cause instability or crashes but it can't really damage anything compared to pushing it too far up.
    (But it's also locked by AMD here in the minimum supported range so there's even less of a risk.)

EDIT:
    Wouldn't mind an advanced mode but I suppose that's not something AMD would implement, being able to set a value for power draw instead of a combined bios read value and a percentage gain or decrease of this value.
    350W maximum say keeping it below the 375W limit with some headroom.

Flat 3000 cap for the GPU core and 2200 for the memory would be nice too.
    Without voltage though the memory clocks above 2120 might not be able to go farther before hitting errors anyway and the timings already have a very limited window for the faster modes if you increase the speeds even a little above the defaults.

GPU core voltage well that's the trickier one but keeping it below 1.2v should work though the hardware on the 6800 PCB differs slightly from the 6800XT and 6900XT power capacitators and VRM's and such. :)

Of course with enough cooling if that was lifted or made less restricted the GPU tiers might blur together a bit as they're all roughly as fast with some games scaling better and utilizing the hardware more showing some difference with the additional cores the 6800XT and 6900XT have.

AMD already changed it up a bit though so it's more like a curve and you set some of the points the GPU scales from and up to which alters the maximum possible but as seen even with the various limitations and AMD's driver and bios restrictions here there's still some room for improvement over the small gains the Navi10 GPU showed.

14. knightriot

knightriot Member

GPU:
    16GB
    Nice , How do you feel about colors and image quality compare to your old 3080? :p

15. TaraRead

TaraRead Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900 XT
    It's a night and day difference I swear. Couldn't be happier. These cards are absolute monsters. I'm running 6 Eve Online clients as we speak, 76C (98C junction temp) at 5120x1440p and my clocks are constantly above 2700 MHZ non stop. Pushing 240 FPS on a 49 inch ultra wide lol. My Radeon image settings are maxed as well through the driver.

PrEzi and Undying like this.

16. TaraRead

TaraRead Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900 XT
    So in theory I could push the power safely to 375 watts with MPT + the 15% on Wattman total? Sounds crazy. The only thing I'd be very concerned about is the junction temps. I already hit around 95C - 100C at some points and I read that 110C is the absolute safety limit. I'm at 345-346 watts total with the 15% increase in Wattman + MPT. Is there anything else to be concerned about? The card runs flipping bonkers amazing. The sustained clocks are just perfect. 10 take 3090 AIB numbers and smoke it with an additional 11.5% on a reference card just seems unreal. These cards are Overclocking monsters : )

17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    CAREFUL mate. That what you see in MPT under Power and Voltage (Power Limit GPU (W)) is NOT the Total board power ! So if you set it to 300 then you are already nearing physical limits of the 2x pin + PCIe power delivery (ca 375W) as you need to calculate 300W you have set for the GPU ALONE + (as you have mentioned ) 15% in Wattman = 345 + ca 40W - 45W for everything else e.g. GDDR6, VRMs etc. !:eek:

I personally wouldn't push more than you have set, not even an inch more. But of course it is your card :D

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I would treat 375W as the maximum so from 345 if that is what you get after applying the 15% from Wattman that leaves about ~20W or so, I would leave some headroom here.
    This will come in more handy with the custom PCB's using 3x 8-pin plus the power from the PCI Express slot itself.

And yeah come to think of it AMD mostly lists the GPU but you have the rest of the components as well.

NVIDIA's 3090 is mostly the same once you lift the power limit via GeForce Experience and I think you get the same 15% adjustment it also shows some nicer gains instead of being held back though some of the custom NVIDIA GPU's are allowed a higher base power draw also.

For AMD seeing how to my knowledge at least only the Red Devil from Power Color went with a 3x 8-pin configuration and even then are limited in what the GPU's allowed to draw by default they must be holding to these limits pretty hard though in turn once these are lifted and the various protective measures worked around it's going to be interesting to see how this scales.

EDIT: There's differences to PSU's the cables used and then the reference or custom boards what these various hardware chips are and how tolerant these are I'm not all that good at the technical stuff so 6-pin = 75W and 8-pin = 150W leaving 75W for the PCI Express regardless of whether you are using 3.0 or 4.0 mode here.

Some fluctuation and possible spikes as the GPU quickly boosts to the target clock speeds but also something AMD's gotten better at although not quite on par with NVIDIA but now there's this difference with Samsung 8nm and TSMC 7nm+ but both might end up with TSMC 5nm next time around though nothing confirmed yet and roadmaps and plans could change.

Doesn't have to mean too much but it's a good reason to avoid splitter cables when plugging these cards in and some PSU's might not handle some of these bursts / transients as well as might be ideal to avoid problems.
    And being careful about pushing the cards too high if you use custom software plus if it's a custom card model with a already higher total draw power then adding extra via Wattman on top of that might be pushing it a bit high. :)

There's plenty of protective measures and such but yeah you do want to be a bit careful about this.

EDIT: Looks like it's actually only the 6900XT Power Color Red Devil variant that had the 3x 8-pin it's still two-pin for the 6800XT Red after finding some more images from these.

Interesting after looking that up as the 6800XT and 6900XT has the same power draw and voltage though the 6900XT would have to be better binned to handle the additional cores even if the GPU clocks by default are a bit lower. (Still clocks up though.)
    Hmm Power Color must have had some additional plans but AMD hindered the GPU's full theoretical performance by drawing around 340W so you still have a good 110W here up to the 450W possible just from that and then the 75W from the PCI-E slot.

Suppose it does still spread it out a bit particularly for modular or single power phase but configured / split into modular with multiple rails power supplies.
    Could be useful for a higher clock speed gains too but without additional voltage and the existing 3.0 Ghz cap further overclock gains could be somewhat limited until that gets lifted or bypassed. :)

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

It's something like that.
    There's a better guide on overclocking and more recently also a in-depth one about undervolting over on Igor's Lab going into much better detail here and for the 6000 series AMD GPU's as well. :)

So the power limit is ~300 say you can get 375 from the power delivery in total but AMD's default 15% caps it at 345 but you have to be careful if increasing this as the scaler will then apply for the new value and could go above the maximum supported or tolerated.

19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Yeah... AMD sets per default the limit for the GPU at 255W for the 6800xt and 6900xt (instead of 195) -- which roughly calculates to 300 Total board power.
    So setting it up at 300 for only the GPU + 15% + the rest of the components and you are already above the 375W which are the theoretical electrical "safe" limit. Add to it a mild overclock of the memory and we are talking about 385-390 Watts power draw in total.
    Is it dangerous to run it for a prolonged time like this ? Maybe... depending on the quality of your mainboard (PCIe power delivery) and PSU / PCIe Cables combo quality. Of course I assume there are no Y-splitters in the game, PSU is gold+certified with enough power budget + buffer etc etc.

P.S. I have set my limit at 275 (from 255) and I am more than happy with the thermals and the overall performance. I took a peed at the Red Devil 6900XT Bios and they set it to 281 per default. I would advise to not exceed it (by much) on 2x 8pin cards.

TaraRead and rubene66 like this.
  20. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    It's been a long time since I've had an AMD card - managed to snag a 6900XT and trying to learn undervolting using the AMD CC

No idea if I'm on the right track...but:

This is what I've managed so far:

1jmwkR2.png (1578×1163) (imgur.com)

Min 2419 Max 2519
    1080mv
    +15%
    107% VRAM

Port Royal:
    10 424