Today i joined the red team.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by XenthorX, Dec 31, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    My x99 5820k rig is now taking a well deserved rest inside the box of its replacement motherboard:
    Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus.

Took me hours to dismantle the rig, clean it all up, salvage what i could, and start fresh for this 5900X build.
    There were dust nests that built up since 2015 hidden around the PSU and behind the motherboard, in the weird angles of the case.
    First couple of surprises :
    1. the AM4 mounting bracket - Fingers crossed it'll hold ! The retention doesn't have any lock system that's a bit scary.
    2. RAM compatibility : upgrade your BIOS ! I made the mistake of activating the intended higher performance profile for my Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz and computer wouldn't even start anymore, had to clear BIOS. After updating to latest (beta) version my ram worked flawlessly.
    Barely run anything yet, aside from TimeSpy physic and CPU-z Bench. Gonna take some time to get used to the whole vocabulary, the new tools for monitoring (any recommendations?), how overclocking works.:rolleyes:

Temps are slightly higher than i anticipated, roughly 5-10°C more than my 5820K overclocked, for twice the amount of cores and 2.5 times the multi-threaded performance.

Sidenote, this is also my first ASUS motherboard and i did miss the Asrock "2 failed boot = BIOS reset" when my RAM timings didn't work and i had to shunt two pins with a screwdriver. Gonna make iterating on RAM timings painful (doubt i'll do it in any near future).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Hypernaut, HARDRESET, Airbud and 7 others like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    ENJOY !!
    Nice rig, btw!

Undying and XenthorX like this.
  3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I noticed higher temps when i switched from a delidded I7 7700k to a new R7 3800x on my Corsair 115i platinum but i suppose it's to be expected going from 4c/8t to 8c/16t, my 3800x usually sits around 41c completely idle(30c on i7) although it seems rather sensitive to the slightest bit of activity, was looking at maybe a 5800x or the 5900x some time next year when supply is better plus your max temps look a bit toasty for my liking ....not sure i need it tbh, switching out my Asus prime x570pro for a new Msi X570 Unify when it arrives, hopefully will get better thermals.....only time will tell.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Keitosha and XenthorX like this.
  4. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Use the AMD Curve Optimizer and run your 5900X over 5000Mhz while streaming. Although the big numbers do not make a difference they sure look good.Nice setup up and good luck,AMD Ryzen is way more fun to play with than Intel.
    EG:Shadow Of The Tomb Raider 5000+Mhz 20 minute run

Keitosha, XenthorX and INSTG8R like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Finally @XenthorX it was about time you retied that old haswell-e cpu. Im sure your cyberpunk stream can now be 4k/60fps. :p

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Pretty sure I ordered my stuff before you by 1 day i think?....

I'm still waiting.

:T

XenthorX likes this.
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Not even sure about that, not with ray tracing anyway haha ! :eek:
    Seriously if i were to send myself some flowers and compliments: deciding to put the extra money out to get x99 and 5820K in 2015 turned out to be a great call.
    Would be a shame to let it go to waste, it still has a couple of good years ahead.

Ordered 28/12, received 30/12.

I was checking prices during the week and only found 5900X starting around 750euros which i felt was too much.
    Then out of nowhere, literrally minutes after ordering the motherboard, i start looking for 5900X without much hope and instantly found one (top answer on Google search) at 650euros from one of AMD official distributor in France.

Got to say, while i haven't spent much time on it yet, it's been an easy transition (BIOS issues aside).
    Smooth sailing transition, everything works, performance are there, and overall it seems to require less cooling /makes less noise on my daily tasks, which is fantastic as i've had tinnitus issues for over a year now.

8. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Welcome to the redside!
    Am not sure what cooling you have in place but My 3950 on custom loop has much better temps although of course lower speeds but more cores, maximum with all cores at 4.4 is 71Deg C after 1 hour Aida 64 stability test with the loop at 34Deg C

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ordered 28th, I think that would be 27th for you, time zones and all that jazz xD

[​IMG]

With the online store I used I'm stuck on "processing", guessing everyone's on holiday lol.

5900X is just crazy.... 12 cores and 24 threads.... just holy molley... the price of that over here is $859, although it's only pre-order, not actually available yet.

Are you using the stock cooler it comes with or something else?

XenthorX likes this.
  10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Welcome to the tinnitus club.... Ive had it for 12 years now.

XenthorX likes this.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Doesn't come with a cooler as far as i know.
    I actually renewed my AIO for my 5820K two months ago so i repurposed it here: H100X with replaced fans for better airflow (hopefully).

Can't believe my horsepower just multiplied by 2.5+. :eek:

@The Goose Hopefully it hasn't been so bad lately but that's really exhausting at time and disturb focus ability :confused:

HARDRESET and Keitosha like this.
  12. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Hopefully joining you on Red team soon. So far, I have the MAG X570 Tomahawk motherboard from MSI. Just picked upj32 GB of DDR4-3600 CL16 from Crucial, Corsair H115i RGB Pro AID. Samsung 980 Pro. Need the case and either a 5800X or 5900X (5800x stocks more frequently...really want 5900x...but no availability here in US without paying scalping prices).

XenthorX likes this.
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    What boosts you getting on that 5900X?

I just got mine the other day and I have it under an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm AIO and the temps are, once again for ryzen, quite warm.

I am boosting to around 4.95GHz with stock bios settings just XMP enabled. All core load around 4.35-4.4GHz with 61-63C max load during CBR20 (I did 10 runs back to back).

I see the CPU will hit higher temps during single core burst loads, such as in Cyberpunk I am seeing spikes to 71C but mostly it hovers in the 58-65C range. Other less demanding games it hovers in the 40's and sometimes 50's but this is by a game to game basis.

I have edited the bios now to try and get better temps, this might help you also. still needs further tweaking and maybe some bios updates once they arrive.

-0.0500V vcore offset (to try and lower vcore)
    LLC = level 3 (to try and level off vcore during load)
    Global C states = enabled
    DF states = enabled
    CPPC = enabled
    Preferred cores = enabled
    Power Supple Idle Control = Low current Idle

Now seeing as low as 0.2-0.3v at idle (before was around 0.4-0.6v) and all core load is 1.1-1.15v with slightly lower clocks at 4.25-4.3GHz and single core burst loads still hit 4.95GHz with single core sustained loads in CBR20 hitting 4.85GHz all day long. With on average around 3-5C lower temps and basically the same performance, only multicore took a small hit. Needs more tweaking I think.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Congrats on new build.

XenthorX likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Farewell...

Now you should learn about correct combination(s) of AGESA version, chipset drivers version and power plans from AMD. :cool:

XenthorX likes this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Thanks @vestibule @mbk1969 , @CPC_RedDawn i'm still figuring out my AIO temperature response curve but after a 4h stream of Cyberpunk i ended up around 70°C, while Star Citizen seems to average around 64°C.

So far i've been using the die average temperature from HWinfo, seems to be the most accurate?
    Anyone having recommendation regarding temperature monitoring i can't get two tools agreeing on temps.

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Join the wait for a proper 1.1.9.0 agesa bios. 5000 series bioses have been pretty trash so far :)

darrenj and XenthorX like this.
  18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My hearing aids used to help a lot but not so much now, especially in quiet environments.

XenthorX likes this.
  19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I usually don't hear my tinnitus in the morning, what i'm doing now is living with a noise-removal headset, seems to help me reach the end of the day without the tinnitus growing too strong.
    Depends on the day really.

The Goose likes this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I did upgrade my Motherboard to a beta BIOS with latest Agesa version (AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0) from ASUS (3201) which they removed from their website the day after i installed it... !
    Absolutely no issues so far anyway.