Star Citizen called out on the news for been " The Greatest Scam In Gaming History "

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Dec 30, 2020.

?

What year do you think if ever Star Citizen will be release as a full game ?

1. Year 2025

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Year 2050

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Year 2075

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Never

37 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As things progressed in time and life goes on , Star Citizen has remain the same after 10 years in development in a perpetual Alpha state with no launch date in site and backers of the game had enough.

One backer of the game said " “I bought a $200 ship back in 2015, when gaming was the center of my life,” he said. “Since then I have graduated university, progressed significantly in my career, bought a nice house in an established neighborhood, and have had three more kids.”

In my opinion it is more than obvious this game will never see a full release as Chris Roberts has found the Golden Egg of scams.

Full front page news and whole article here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-citizen-339-million-game-195653511.html

Tittle of the story at Yahoo news: Gamer's feel cheated by this $339 million video game after another delay. " The Greatest Scam In Gaming History "

It start with: Star Citizen has $339 million in funding and 10 years of development — but there’s no release date in sight...

There is a Poll at the top , please vote. What year do you think if ever Star Citizen will be release as a full complete game ?

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Surprised EA sports games haven't been mentioned if we are going to be labeling video games as scams.

Neo Cyrus, HandR and Loobyluggs like this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Never going to be finished, it will be one of those games that continues to be developed over time. I've played the current build (around a month ago) and it was a clustermuck. Absolute trash, terrible U.I, horrendous performance and didn't look next gen at all, controls were sluggish, and it crashed A LOT.

If this released now it would completely takeover Cyberpunk for worst launch, and probably be crowned the worst ever. So glad I didn't back it, I would feel robbed at this point. If they don't release something within the next year or two I will consider this project dead.

Caesar and Loobyluggs like this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The kickstarter for SC was 2013 - how do you get 10 years of development? Should we include Chris Roberts pretending to be flying around in a spaceship when he was 11 years old part of the development too?

I mean it was designed to be one of those games, so I'd hope so lol

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    HandR likes this.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Pre-production of the game began in 2010, with production starting in 2011

According to wikipedia. Perhaps this is what they're referring to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    S42 got delayed again btw without any news on the release date.

Caesar likes this.
  7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I figured - but "pre-production" of the game is literally CR just thinking about the game according to the video in that link. They didn't start prototyping the kickstarter until late 2011 early 2012 and actual development of a game and not a bunch of models for promotional purposes was in 2013.

8. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    And squadron 42 could have made it the killer pc game. Imagine the multiplayer possibilities. Shame it all just fell apart.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The way I see it is this is just a project for Chris Roberts to keep his company in business.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Don't care one way or another. Never did.
    I do appreciate the good drama though. Both from militant backers and no-skin-in-game naysayers. So keep it coming. You do realize this generates profit as well ;)

One thing: They didn't take one shekel except what ppl willingly gave them. And if these peeps didn't spend it on SC, they would have blow it on Liberian treasure or some Android gadget they didn't need.
    Whether those with enough money to go LOONG on virtual ships will eventually be satisfied with their pixels - is literally the last thing I would worry myself with.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    This will officially release on the same day Nvida release a new 3DFX card. lol

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The problem is that the conversations are so one dimensional. Most people come in here and either say the game is a scam, or the game is next coming of christ.

The reality is, the game is a bug riddled mess, with multiple great ideas, incredible scale/detail yet horrible implementation. The performance is trash, the player count per server isn't worthy of an MMO. The project is clearly mismanaged from multiple different angles and CR is probably the worst project lead ever... but at the same time there is some nugget of a game starting to form.

I pledged $40 maybe 4-5 years ago and I probably have close to ~200 hours in the game now. Some of those hours were frustrating, but others were extremely memorable - some are both. Just the other day I was mining in a ROC on a planet with a friend, his truck got stuck in the planet (lol) so I came over to try to crash into him to get out, then mine rolled. I went back to get my ship to knock my truck back over and as I'm running back I start getting shot at. I turn around another player is just randomly sitting in the middle of the desert with a shotgun trying to blast me. I take cover in my ship, tell my buddy what's going on, get out my sniper rifle - the guy is on foot running behind rocks, my buddy is chasing him. I take a few shots, go back to the ship, take off - spot his ship and just blast it before he can take off. Come back to my ROC, flip it back over with the ship - swap the minables from my friend's truck into mine, drive my truck onto the ship, take back off into space and sell it. I can't really think of another game where you'd get that experience at any real scale or even close to it. And that was literally just two days ago, you get similar ones all the time - from hacking crimestat away while bounty hunters chase you across the starmap or even in FPS combat inside the outpost while your doing the hacking, to trying to bust friends out of the automated prison while other players try preventing it, etc.

And like, while you're doing these things.. you definitely run into all kinds of issues, some of which make me just alt-f4 and quit and yet i keep coming back to the game because when it does work, when I don't get bugged into some unplayable state, or watch my ship QT into a planet -- it's actually a really procreating fun experience.

So idk - it has a long way to go, it may never actually be polished, but there is some playable object there and every patch brings a bunch of content and bug fixes. In the mean time you can play the game for like half a AAA title and earn all the ships in game + they do free flies all the time. So it's not like the barrier to entry is that high. If they manage to polish and complete some of the longer term objectives it will be great - if not, who cares.. the game already gave me my initial $ in fun.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    “I bought a $200 ship back in 2015, when gaming was the center of my life,” they said. “Since then I have graduated university, progressed significantly in my career, bought a nice house in an established neighborhood, and have had three more kids.”

Uhmmm how about... letting go?
    And appreciating that you are able to make dozens of mistakes like this and worse in your life, without ever suffering any real consequences.

Other than that, if 5 years, one house and three kids later you still worry about your $200, I'll fukin reimburse you.

screwtech02 and Denial like this.
  14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Hmmm so they used almost same ammount of money as Cyberpunk, maybe cyberpunk isnt that bad :D

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I still wonder about derek sometimes and and if this video game annoys him still.

HonoredShadow and Hypernaut like this.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Heh, I was aware of the SC Kickstarter program launch all those years back, it'd looked too good to be true.....not an avid believer in games being developed in this manner. It'd occurred to me that it may not launch and end up being stillborn, so I'd rather wait till the game was officially launched and buy the game retail. I believe in buying retail games when they're complete and polished (okay, not so with Cyberpunk 2077), but at least it's a retail game, not one promised by a developer who's showing himself/themselves to be doing diddly squat.

Looking at the state of the game now, where the 'developer' took the money, did some development work (while living life in the lap of luxury from what I'd heard), and basically left the development in limbo, I'm so glad I'd not dived in back then. It may be a small amount in the grand scheme of things, but this sort of practice should NOT be encouraged, if peeps have that, 'oh, it's a small amount, I'm not bothered by it' attitude, shady practices like this would be encouraged.

carnivore and chispy like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all these people saying its a scam, yet heres 3.12 with existing planets getting the new environment system, new weapons, new ships, AI weapon systems overhauls, mine system updates, landing services updates, cap ship vfx and torpedo damage pass (torpedo's were the best part of starlancer :D)

Caesar likes this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    For those of you on the bleachers: this is NOT a game, and I'm frankly astonished it is being discussed as such.

This is a personal vanity project, nothing more.

You wanna know who I have an enormous amount of respect for? Sean Murray.

This guy did everything of merit that CR has not.

Sean Sold his house to get the financial support needed to create a company, in essence risked everything to make a company just to make computer games. Can someone please tell me what CR risked and sacrificed for his vanity project?

He certainly didn't risk the $4m he had in his bank account...Sean Murray barely had $100k in equity to start his company, and when Sony wanted to promote his game, he took to the stage with ZERO PR experience and tried his very best to answer the insane questions that he did not have the answers to.

When the game No Man's Sky was released...well...we all know what happened in the reviews, but, Sean did the most incredible thing: He took full responsibility and apologised, promising to make it right; fully acknowledging his mistakes and lack of PR experience.

I cannot ever imagine CR letting the dice fall where they may and just taking his licks like a man. Sean Murray messed up, and knew he was out of his depth, yet, he marched on and released the game regardless. CR would rather just keep a project in perpetual development, or, bifurcate development in two, to conflate the importance of whatever springs to mind.

CR does not want to release this project, because the backlash may prove harmful to his health.

Sean Murray could teach CR a lot about humility, self-respect and...game development. Yeah; I just said that.

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I only buy games when they reach GOTY or heavily discounted and polished to a shine.
    Guess I am weird.

Venomsword, Caesar, Exodite and 7 others like this.
  20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Liked your post, not because you're weird, but because i'm the same :D

Caesar, anticupidon and chispy like this.