RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Well, that is important if you want full 24/7 OC as my settings are working 24/7. Your settings, especially voltage ones might not be as stable they appear.

Turbogear likes this.
  2. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    2600mhz is enough for me don't really want to use it fully overclocked. Plus, it's much more silent. That's why i keep the frequency and voltages very low.

If i get a crash at gaming i will set 10mv higher.

edit: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/55736500?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Just an FYI, got my first PSU trip yesterday. Was going with 375 TGP + ~50W for board components on two pice 8 pins running port royal stress test. I think that tells me the limit of how much extra power I can expect out of my 8 pin (150 W) PSU cables. Think it might have been due to a power spike.

So, settling in with old 2675 Mhz, 1100mv and 345 max TGP + ~ 50 w for board power. This has been rock solid but @Shadowxaero seeing your 6800xt so close to my 6900 xt made me push my card to the limit :).

So people do keep in mind the PSU limits.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Mod please Pin this thread :cool:

5. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    375w for only gpu and 2x8pin card is a little bit much :D Also port royal uses much more power than any other application. It's drains about 30w to 40w higher.

Plus, you still need 1w more to beat my 6800xt :) https://www.3dmark.com/spy/16594315

6. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    There you go https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/55761121? Still doing a little bit of tinkering ( Max TGP 364.5 + ~50 for board components) . Your processor is definitely helping you here. Also, you must have SAM enabled as well, right?
    Lets see your Port Royal scores https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/55761463?

Hope my corsair RM 1000i can handle all the rough power stuff :rolleyes:.

xcx xcxvgyt likes this.
  7. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    Unfortunately sam not working or helps with 3dmark. And as you know 6800xt limit is 2750mhz. That's the max any 6800xt can get from 3dmark. Graphics score can be increase around 100 points by tweaking cpu or memory but that's all.

Also cpu not effect graphics score. It's always frequency limited. Plus, port royal able to utilize more cu on 6900xt. It's impossible to get 6900xt like scores with 6800xt. Best 6900xt can get 11700 and best 6800xt 10700.

8. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Yeah you are right about SAM with Time Spy but GPU scores can definitely be impacted with CPU. If by some horrendous circumstances I had a core i3 I would definitely see a degradation in performance. Obviously, moving on to 4k or ray tracing test eliminates the CPU bottleneck. BTW, do you have a reference 6800 XT or a custom one, cause if you have a reference one you have tweaked it to almost perfection.

9. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    It's reference on stock air. Good binned one off course. Able to keep constant 2750mhz with mpt. Waiting to flash 6900xt bios when it's possible maybe i can overclock it around 2850 or more who knows :rolleyes:

Also cpu not really helps. For ex:

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/24340645
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/16594315

Check the cpu frequencies for time spy i use lower freq. because it was not really effect graphics score.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Turbogear and chispy like this.
  10. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    Got a msi 6800xt gaming trio today . Will arrive in a few days :). Finally got one

Undying, rubene66, Turbogear and 4 others like this.

11. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Can you share an MPT file with me with what you think should be the best settings for my rx 6900 xt along with any other suggestion that you might have regarding Radeon software. Let's see if we can get ~2% more performance out of my card.

12. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    Hmm it's hard to say something without get on hands. Also it's 6900xt which has different voltages even with soc. What i can say is keep minimum soc max voltage and gfx max voltage by MPT. So it will never goes above that.

Also decrease your monitor hz value and resolution while bencmarking. (With all resolutions for ex: time spy 2k but fire strike is 1080p than you must do it with all)

I always bencmarking 800*600p 60hz not sure it's effective. Also close all unnecessary monitoring tools. Even close radeon software.

And the most important is on radeon software set min voltage which will be overrided by gpu but it's effects performance around %1 for me. don't know why wattman buggy anyway. Like here:

Did you see? At min voltage was dropping down to 1.01v but after i slide it over it's almost constantly 1.15v which provides less performance.

Keep your min freq only 100mhz less than your max. Do not set 500-2700mhz, 2600-2700mhz better and your gpu will constantly override your setted voltage.

rubene66 likes this.
  13. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Some of your points are about optimizing softwares for better scores. I was thinking more around getting hard performance for GPU. I think you point about setting voltages through MPT might be of use. Will try it.

14. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Was able to breach 11k barrier in Port Royal with your suggestions. Haven't stress tested these settings though. I didn't win silicon lottery or could have pushed this more.
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/55877006?

11k with stable stress tested clocks and voltages in Port Royal https://www.3dmark.com/pr/717456. Just 11% behind stable oced rtx 3080's. DXR is still worth it on AMD, if they can get support for their tech in games.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    xcx xcxvgyt likes this.
  15. _CP_

_CP_ Guest

GPU:
    6900XT
    6900xt here and I thought I would share my OC numbers.

Frequency sliders are set to 2670-2770 MHz and it never drops below 2615 or so while under load
    Memory slider is at the max of 2150MHz
    Power Limit +15%
    Voltage is 1175mV which was the stock setting

This is my first AMD GPU and I'm attempting to figure out what can be done to get these numbers higher. I have a waterblock ready to be installed soon but waiting on a motherboard to arrive. I checked out Igor's Lab for the MPT and bios editor. His instructions were decent but I'm having issues getting it to work. I loaded the bios into MPT, make whatever changes, and hit save. At this point I get kind of lost. The file that gets saved is a .mpt which can't be opened in the bios editor. It also won't open the initial bios file either. Any help on the next steps would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

16. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Don't fiddle with bios editor yet. You need to click on Write SSPT after making changes in MorePowerTolo and reboot the system. You will see the changes reflected in GPU-Z during 3d loads. Also, run Port Royal test to confirm your frequencies as many game won't stress you GPU properly.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  17. _CP_

_CP_ Guest

GPU:
    6900XT
    That helped! Thank you for letting me know and of course another issue came up. When I try to write the changed rom, after unlocking, I get this error... C:\Flash>amdvbflash -f -p 0 21.rom "-f option not support in external version of the tool. Please refer to tool help for list of option supported. Adapter not found. ERROR: 0FL01" Any ideas on what the issue could be? Perhaps the options are different for the newer cards or updated tool? I need sleep. Thank you again for the assistance.

18. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    That is bios tool/flash related error. I suggest you stay away from flashing bios. MPT has more than enough options for a beginner to tweak.

OnnA likes this.
  19. _CP_

_CP_ Guest

GPU:
    6900XT
    I guess I'm confused on how this actually works then. You change the values in MPT, write SPPT, and then save correct? Does this apply the changes to the card directly without having to do anything else? I can't see any changes in wattman for additional power limit % or in GPU-Z for chip power draw.

20. xcx xcxvgyt

xcx xcxvgyt Member

GPU:
    6800XT
    I wouldn't call it lose since you got the 12th place for 6900xt :D 12th/1203 card is win.

Plus? How many memory stick you have? Only one based on 3dmark score page? Maybe you can try to lower your timings a little bit like trfc 300 or lower might help to get 100point more which is 0.5fps for avg.