Opening my own PC Shop.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shadex, Dec 30, 2020.

1. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Hola:

I am opening up my own PC shop soon so I am asking for ANY advices. Hilbert, can you do an article on how to open your own PC shop and give us a good in-depth analysis on what needs to done? What needed to be purchased, financial run-down, and etc. I would greatly appreciate that!

2. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Just dont.

If you need Hilbert (a reviewer) to explain you how to open a shop and what you need to make it work, just dont, dont do it.

Neo Cyrus, pimpernell, 386SX and 4 others like this.
  3. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Care to explain why? Just asking for advices.

Nevermind. I'll hire a consultation then. I am just amazed how asshole people can be. That pretty much sums up their character and resume.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Hiring someone to do analysis (or do it yourself if you can) if there is actually any way to make pc shop profitable and so, how tax works, how much money you need to invest and so is definitely the way to go. From first post it's a bit unclear if this is done or not. If there is no market analysis done, do not open shop as you do not know if you can make any profit.

Asking for article how to do it... Depends on the country, location, rent (?), what you are planning to do and what experience you have. Selling hardware and trying to make money vs big online stores sound like a bad idea. Customer support depends on the experience you have and if you already have some customers (companies) which are interested in your services. Say, you have a deal that you set up about 50pc's/year for some fixed price (hardware not included, just service)... Online/phone support for companies and so...

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You need a good distributor/ supplier, the more the better.

Someone to make tax

Someone to fulfil orders

Someone to input stuff on the website you sell, and order from those distributors

It's at least a 3 man job

anticupidon likes this.
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'm opening up a business as well. Can't decide between PC Shop and Shiitake mushrooms farm. Proly in Monrovia. Or maybe Detroit USA.
    Need good in-depth comparative analysis. What needed to be purchased, financial run-down, and etc.

Else, I'll hire a consultation. I am just amazed how asshole people can be.

:D

Valken and Tat3 like this.
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    "PC Shop" doesn't really explain a lot. Are you selling prebuilts? Are you selling laptops, tablets, accessories? Are fixing them, and what kind of repairs do you offer? PCB repairs? Screen replacements? Hardware upgrades?

There are many different things a "PC shop" can be. Then you have the location of the store it self, is it in a good area for business. How much is the rent and bills, and the initial expense of fixtures and fittings for the shop such as shelves, work space, item inventory. Are you going to use a database to keep track of stock levels? Are you going to hire someone else to work for you? You also need insurance for the shop it self, the stock inside, AND the staff as well. Then you have to think how much you are going to charge people for your services as well.

How much do you want to make for yourself? Are you prepared to each rice and beans for a few years before you start making money?

All these things come into play, you also need to do a lot of research of what people in the shops location actually want. No good opening a high end PC store in an area full of old people who don't really use modern tech, otherwise the only jobs you will be getting are uninstalling Norton lol

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Before to lash out, think.
    People are giving you a lot of useful advice and you should pay attention. Yes, the wording is not the best and whatever, but keep your eyes on the target.
    I worked as a tech for many, many years.
    What I learned is that tech industry is the worst where you can invest, as in making money selling and fixing computers.
    Why?
    Everybody buys from the main on-line retailers. Even having a very good price of acquisition, you'll sell at a very low margins, barely covering costs.
    More, employees are a huge issue as in costs
    and the ROI is very low at beginning.
    You should focus on repairs and services.
    Fixing computers, data recovery, business support and become certified reseller for manufacturers.

Fixing computers is not exactly rocket science, but you need to know hardware and software very well. And experience overcomes everything every time. Just keep in mind that you are swimming upstream, as almost all manufacturers are making event harder to fix their stuff and don't provide parts and service manuals.

Services?
    This is where you have to shine and differentiate yourself.
    The hardest part is to find out what's the best money/hour ratio - enough to earn money, but low enough to be perceived as decent...avoid cheap at all costs.

You need to build a reputation and maintain it. There are so many solutions and advices...
    Ask away, I'll be more than willing to share everything I know.

pimpernell and Caesar like this.
  9. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Im assuming its not a one man job.

10. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I'll explain it to you.

You came here asking for a "how to" on whats needed to start and run a bussiness. This site is made for hardware reviews and supports a forum for the community. None of those will help you in your quest and the owner/manager/ceo of this web a.k.a HH has probably little to no clue about how to start and run a "pc shop". (maybe im wrong here, just a guess on HH previous works lol :) )

If you ask him about a review website, youtube channel... 100% he could help, how to bench, what to bench, where to focus... About a retail shop i doubt he owns knowledge deep enough to build a guide "for you", and i say "for you" because that kind of content has nothing to do with what he and his team work with on a daily basis.

On top of that, it sounds like you are planning on jumping off of a plane with no parachute. Sounds like you did zero research about what you need to do and how, if you had done that, your question(s) would be very different, like... "what would you guys like or ask to a pc shop?" "what kind of service would you like more?"

So my answer still applies. Just dont. Research, work on the plan, the vision of that "pc shop", where you gonna place it, all the legal mumbo jambo needed and once you have done that come again to ask HH. I'll bet you wont need to ask him.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @shadex watch Louis Rossmann channel.
    About customers, tools of the trade, employees, and business mindset.
    I worked many many years in that trade and Louis was always right on every point and aspects of the trade. And I learned a LOT from him.
    I am 200% sure than you'll learn more from him than any consultant.
    And it's free. Can't beat that.
    Cheers!

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The fact that you're asking for tips on how to open a business and how to run it on an internet forum tells me everything I need to know.

You have no idea what you're going into. Recipe for disaster.

pimpernell likes this.
  13. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    That's all I am asking.. Thanks!

anticupidon likes this.
  14. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    My entire family runs their own business with no prior experience nor went to college; they ran their business just fine. Secondly, I am asking for advices. Lastly, it shows what a f****** asshole you are. I wouldn't hire you. Period.

Valken and anticupidon like this.
  15. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    metagamer - you could learn a thing or two from him. Learn some manners, kid.

16. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Aside from metagamer, I thank everyone for advices! Much appreciated!

anticupidon likes this.
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Mushrooms.
    Were here before us, will outlive us.
    Mushrooms man.

pimpernell, Valken and Noisiv like this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @shadex
    I always made money fixing computers.
    I have a small amount of fixed, loyally clientele.
    Word of mouth is a thing.
    And I went to every length possible to satisfy my clients and never let them down or underdeliver.
    I ask a premium price, and always make clear what and details.
    Believe me, you don't want all clients. Some clients just don't deserve your time.

pimpernell, Keitosha and 386SX like this.
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Jesus, I never want to encounter another post from you, so it will be so, see ya ;)
    ps I pity anyone who does business with you as well.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Noisiv there is a documentary on Netflix about mushrooms- Mycelium I think it's called.
    Never, ever I was so convinced that if I'll start a business, it will be mushrooms growing.
    Search that documentary, I'll catch some secrets of the trade.
    Mycelium is where is at.
    Mushrooms are everywhere, and make so much with so little. Nature is amazing, is always more rewarding than any modern investment or something. A sure bet.