MSI To Launch AMD 500-series and 400-series BIOS Updates with Curve Optimizer and R-BAR function

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    JAMVA and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this was a very nice update to the hordes of Nvidia users on AMD boards

3. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    How does it change anything I have it active in Bios but is there another option somewhere to activate it ?
    *edit* is there an option in Nvidia drivers/panel to activate this option?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    it makes it easier for the unexperienced to do

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    If you have some secret method please share
    *edit*
    So I looked in the properties on my 3090 driver and it has no Large memory range shown in the options just 3 instances of memory range so I guess its not yet enabled fully for either the card or the 3k CPUs

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There isn't much for this bios wise it's that Above 4G option to enabled and Re-Bar to Auto having both set as such and then finally ensuring CSM is disabled and the bios is running in UEFI fully.
    Should be a non-issue but you do need a GPT boot drive partition but again it's been around for a long time so it shouldn't be a problem though it can be a hindrance for older drives.

After that NVIDIA would need to actually have support in the drivers for this to leverage it where it actually does something and a game where it benefits above average would be ideal for testing which is mostly Assassin's Creed Valhalla and it's near ridiculous 10% gains over the 2-3% in many other titles currently but it makes it easy to see that it's working such as for AMD's 6000 GPU series.

Don't know when NVIDIA will have this out for their drivers though, you don't need to set anything or shouldn't need to set anything it should just work and as per above a game where it scales well for whatever reason is optimal for testing how well it's working. :)

EDIT: You're going to see the extended address range in the GPU hardware through the device manager but it doesn't actually do anything much without the drivers capable of utilizing this and once that's handled it again relies on the game or application utilizing it which well I know of one game that does and a few others that show smaller changes.

Nothing so far outright breaks or has compatibility issues unlike hardware GPU scheduling which I think NVIDIA has a one-up over AMD currently but again smaller gains most of the time.
    (Both together could be a 4% though it's something at least and should get better over time.)

EDIT: Suppose patch rollback isn't a easy thing on Ubisoft and UPlay either, would be a entertaining idea to see what a less up to date version of Valhalla does if it's something that coincidentally happened to be added with the last major patch to the game just as AMD who benefits more than usual from this got the 6000 series of GPU's out and this feature landed in the newer motherboard AGESA code.

Doesn't mean much or anything, makes the game a bit funny for benchmark purposes but if there's nothing further going on then beyond any possible RDNA optimizations the Re-sizeable BAR enhancement should also boost NVIDIA GPU performance by a similar amount once supported.

Sounds like the press has some sort of driver or maybe just updates from NVIDIA on the state of this being supported but as to public driver updates and this as a new feature I couldn't say when that's happening.

suty455 and JAMVA like this.
  7. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Ok so all those options are now set as follows
    Resizable Bar ...Enabled
    Above 4G Encoding ...Enabled
    CSM was not used anyway
    1Tb NVME boot drive is GPT
    Yet in device manager/display adapters and drivers/resources I still only see memory range not large memory range, is that correct as Nvidia has not yet activated the option ?

8. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    People dont understand that without driver update from NVIDIA this update is meaningless....

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah,on 3090 this won't work.