Review: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 NITRO+

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is time for the first customized Radeon 6800 review, no not the XT. In this review, we test the Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 NITRO+ based on a custom PCB, custom cooler, and increased clock frequencies....

Review: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 NITRO+

fantaskarsef and tunejunky like this.
  2. Serega_Mih

Serega_Mih Member

GPU:
    GainwardGTX1660S
    Why did you stop disassembling video cards? And why does the card have a temperature of 72+ degrees, while the reference has 64. I think this is a failure.

kakiharaFRS likes this.
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Two reasons, time first and foremost .. we need to perform and include more and more data with the reviews, it costs so much time it isn't funny anymore with my six sometimes seven-day work weeks. Secondly, cards mostly are rotated back to AIBs or other media these days, and they do not really like these cards to be disassembled and then reassembled as it can influence cooling perf in a next review.

alanm and tunejunky like this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    stupid me.
    I thought this is XT
    but it's 6800 non xt with XT msrp

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    never really understood why if you can buy a 500$ card you can't a 600$ just wait a few months until you have the money
    this hardware crysis makes it even more dumb who'd want this expensive inferior 6800 rather than a XT ?
    it's pretty obvious not only at amd but nvidia also that aib release extremely cheap reskins of the reference design this year, which they can only get away with because some people can't wait and buy whatever they will find, personnally no way I'm buying a card like this
    I'm checking prices and availabilty every day and I hesitated quite a few times on no less than a 3090 when I saw one in stock, but when I saw for 2140USD or 1700€ that it only had 2x8 pins...no I'm not spending 2k on a low quality gpu (and thus) power limited card, weird how they all seem power limited this year

p.s.
    on my fav webshop an msi 6800 is 755USD and 6800XT 822USD see what I mean ? or 616€ and 671€ if you can't afford 55€ more for this you're in the wrong price range for your purse
    (none are in stock of course)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there has to be a limit somewhere for each person.
    6800 is not great value compared to 6800xt and to 3070 especially.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Nice cooling but bad (average) silicon lottery :-(

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Man, this is the 6800 i want.
    Sucks I just bought a $1000 monitor lol

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    First monitor then gpu. I hope its ultrawide btw. :)

tunejunky and cucaulay malkin like this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    monitor should always come first

I recommend checking out pcgh if you're looking for 21:9
    about the only tech source that tests 3440x1440 as part of the procedure

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rade...er-RTX-3090-Grafikkarten-Vergleich-1362845/3/

it is a demanding resolution for new games, 6800 can't maintain 60 fps in as many as 9 titles out of 20 while at 1440p only in 2 out of 20.
    a VRR monitor is really a necessity for 21:9 qhd

tunejunky and Undying like this.

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Hilbert why You didn't put reference card on thermals graphs and noise graphs?.
    I have reference Sapphire and it seems i have better thermals? How is that possible.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    another fantastic, detailed review.

a thing to remember about "paper" launches - it's standard.
    and not because some nitwit decided to irritate enthusiasts but because of old print media. while old print media is deader than the proverbial doornail they had to have the object of review well in advance of availability because the object had to be tested, the article written, proofread, edited, printed, and then delivered to brick and mortar stores or subscribers.

and yeah the 6800 (vanilla) is not the value of the 6800xt, but then the value of the 3060 isn't the same as the value of a 3070 either and the 3090 gets slapped every time someone utters the word "value".

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s no healthy Hilbert... Quite frankly, i think you should scale down the size of reviews. Instead of using 15 games test 10 or less. Instead of using 15 or 20 synthetic benchmarks, test half of them and so on.

No point on going overboard if you´re not enjoying yourself and risking your health in the process.

Take care of yourself because the world needs you! And i need your christmas prizes...:p

AlmondMan, HandR and tunejunky like this.
  14. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn
    I could be incorrect but think the labeling on some graphs (GPGPU) might be wrong.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is rather disappointing. Hotter, uses more power and more expensive than the reference but performance ins the same or lower. I was looking forward to this model too. Guess I'll stick to my tried and true only buy refence with AMD (though that XFX MERC looks nice).

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well it's better than the recent MSI Gaming X Trio 6800XT at least, MSRP of 850 USD / EUR and then what store prices will do to that due to demand and lack of availability. :p

What it will do is make it easy to choose between that or a 3080 the way I'm seeing it if the custom boards are going to blow right past the 700 estimated pricing range and into the mid 800's.
    (The two models are already close to the same price or due to pricing fluctuation almost identical so this feels like a very poor decision to price the cards this high.)

EDIT: AMD's locked little OC limitations are a bit of a thing too but the variants do make a good number on the cooler effectiveness and noise level of said cooling solution at least.

For Sapphire what I'm curious to see is how the Pulse will perform when actually available and what reviews will do for that, they're all kinda the same performance wise for the 6000's and 6800XT's and 6900XT's due to the cap and where they start encountering stability so without allowing additional wattage or voltage it's mostly just the cooler and some PCB tweaks potentially but not with a steep increase in pricing over the defaults.

Even if AMD was a tad aggressive with the reference product pricing which probably doesn't help margins for the board partners but it is what it is.
    (And if pricing is increased and due to that closes in on the Ampere 3080 in pricing then it's going to be tougher to recommend the 6800XT over that.)

INSTG8R likes this.
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I doubt Hilbert would want to reduce the quality of GPU reviews as game benches are the most important part of them. But if anything can be cut down, it might be the quantity of reviews. Just this month H did 7 3060Ti reviews! Thats a lot of work for basically the same card. Doubt any other review site on the web would invest that much time and effort on one card.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/videocards.html

18. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Well, in my opinion this is the best choice if you don't want the performance of the XT or 3080 while having a ~15% extra performance compared to the 3070, want to get into 4k gaming and don't want to worry about 8GB of VRAM.

19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    where'd you get that ?

6.3 % on TPU
    [​IMG]

3% on computerbase

[​IMG]

7% on ppc

[​IMG]

2% on pcgh

[​IMG]

4.5% on avg. across those 4 sites

edit:sorry,I missed the 4K point.
    I checked at 4K it's 7.1%, 6-8% on the sites I mentioned
    I still think both are too weak for 4K and held back by bandwidth

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    [​IMG]

10C hotter than reference , and gets recommended ? Any explanation ?