GeForce RTX 3080 CTD Issues likely due to POSCAP and MLCC configuration

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    How is that fixed if earliest date to get a 3080 here is next year?

2. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
  3. brogadget

brogadget Master Guru

GPU:
    2xR9 280x 3GB
    Okay, watched the video as well. I wouldn´t do that with my own board. But it seems this guy works together with a retailer and he did not have to pay for the card. No matter if soldering is done right or not, the card works and it shows that caps have quiet an impact on stability. But it is not the only reason. In my opinion, overall, the video makes sense, not the soldering, but in particular what he says at the video ending.
    Today, when it comes to gpu and ram, the board chips are already pre selected, so no chip lottery. The video indeed shows, that everything is already maxed out. When it comes to overclocking, without heavy shunt/ voltage modding you simply can´t do it anymore, and if you have to pay attention to the specifications, today, oc is already done by the manufacturers with pre selected chips.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Was quite sure that I saw it so went trough again and found it...
    Also the video is not a live footage, quite sure that der8auer added more flux than what can be seen in the video.
    [​IMG]

HARDRESET likes this.

5. kieron fleming

kieron fleming Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Ding bat told you it was just a driver issue simple fix I find you guys funny in here running round like a bunch turkies gobbling like you're mad with hyperthetical mathematical calculations on pythagoras theories.

Just calm down nvidia knows what they're doing so do manufacturers don't listen to some random guys theories while he's still living in his mum's basement ( igor )

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I guess you missed the part where even EVGA was treating it as a HW issue and modified some of their boards which delayed their shipments. A driver fix may have solved it so far, but to say "I told you so..." was no more a lucky guess than an educated one. :rolleyes:

https://forums.evga.com/Message-about-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-POSCAPs-m3095238.aspx

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    He also missed the part where there are still people with crashing cards.

mixing up the components will significantly stabilise low grade gpu's more than it will high grade.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The fact that Nvidia themselves put 2 clusters of MLCC's on their 3080/3090 FE cards is proof enough that they need at least that many to keep the cards stable. EVGA did their customers a solid by delaying their shipments to make sure their cards were altered. Asus went above and beyond by using only MLCC's on all of their cards.

I've owned a 3080 FE for over a week now and I've been playing games at 4K 120hz, maxing out every graphical setting I can. I haven't seen a single crash yet. The 456.71 WHQL driver and 456.98 hotfix drivers are the only ones i've used so far. I think most of the crashes that people were reporting came from older buggy drivers. Even so, if i were to buy a 2nd RTX 3080 in the future, i'd still stick with the Asus/EVGA/Nvidia FE models and avoid the ones with zero MLCC clusters.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    pharma likes this.
  9. pae777sano

pae777sano Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super 6GB
    I recently got the Aorus 3080 Xtreme. It had the F4 bios out of box (F4 isn't available for download on their website).
    On the OC bios switch, playing Cyberpunk or COD at full Ultra settings, clock speed was hitting between 2010 - 2040MHz and causing CTD.

Flashed the F2 bios and it was still going over 2010MHz and causing CTD.

Now on the Silent bios and clock speeds are regulated below 1980MHz no longer causing games to CTD.

I just don't understand why I should need to limit my GPU just to make it usable. Anyone else had experience with this GPU and issues?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because you're applying bandaids to a factory defective product

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    you should know by now that buying a higher end 3080 will only give you lower noise levels.
    otherwise clocks are almost the same between cheapest msrp cards and high end versions.
    I would still get a larger cooler,320w on default is a lot.

12. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Because in this case, the manufacturer overestimated the capability of the card.
    The high clocks push parts of the card beyond it's operating spec and boom, the card says no.

Your card is no worse than most others, just that the rev limiter was set a bit too high.
    Return it or apply limits yourself via a bios flash or using Afterburner.

13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    For some reason the way AIB partners bin cards does not work reliably for the 3080 series. I wonder what is different in this generation to make the binning testing not reflect real-word use?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Asus overbuilt their cards, thats why they have cancelled lower end versions and are focusing on production of the overclocked ones.

15. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    So from what i understand, this driver "fix" is just a lowering of the max boost clock? So getting a waterblock is pointless from a performance standpoint ?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you understand wrong.