How are radeon drivers these days ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cucaulay malkin, Dec 13, 2020.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Watch Dogs 2 has severe stuttering issues on Nvidia too when driving fast. And of course CPU bound performance is not an issue anymore in Legion (or it's the game's developers responsibility).

Nvidia's DX12 driver has overhead issues of its own, btw. Shadow of the Tomb Raider regressed on Turing vs. Pascal and is like ~15% slower than AMD (tests on the internet don't reflect this because they are GPU bound). Also RT shadows in WoW seem to cause a much worse CPU bottleneck on Nvidia (this is reflected by several tests though).

If I pick a GPU nowadays, I don't do it because of the DX11 driver. Of course it would still be nicer if the AMD DX11 driver was better in some overhead sensitive games or if the Navi DX9 driver wasn't that bad, but well. Watch Dogs Legion allegedly doesn't crash anymore with RT and newest game update btw.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it did on older drivers
    not frame drops tho.it was a stutter every 5-6 seconds,not only while driving,but in general.
    I think there were 3-4 drivers that had this bug.I popped into wd2 way after completing and noticed something was wrong.took more than a month to finally fix this with a driver.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  3. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Why AMD, why!

With my old 290X:
    adrenalin3.jpg

And with my brand new 6800XT:
    adrenalin4.jpg

Is this an UPGRADE or DOWNGRADE?!?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  4. knightriot

knightriot Member

GPU:
    16GB
    Sorry about my bad English first.
    6900xt owner here, i have rtx 3080 aorus wb and 6900XT new with bykski block. No issue at all, last time i used amd vga was 290X ;)
    BTW, i can see 6900XT have better color quality than 3080 (enable full rgb in nvi panel) and better performance at rpcs3 in my 5120x2160 LG monitor. Good temperature:
    upload_2020-12-27_15-52-27.png
    Play gow3 at 4k60fps :p:

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    P.L.A.C.E.B.O

itpro likes this.
  6. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    It's not! I had bought Evga FTW3 3080 Ultra as replacement of my old 290X but I didn't like the washed colours (full range, not limited) of NVidia so I replaced it with my current Red Devil 6800XT. Of course I still miss some goodies of my old 290X like AMD Fluid Motion but at least the colours are as good as before.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PEBKAC then, your complaint doesn't exist.

pharma and itpro like this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hotfix driver perhaps if it's a HDR display and that black level issue for NVIDIA and having that resolved.
    Other than that the color settings and options is something I have to tweak a bit on AMD because they use a warmer hue by default the reds overshoot slightly it's well there's the display calibration too and how it all looks but the folder icons for example are red/orange not yellow and the Firefox logo is a big red ball not a gradient orange to yellow fox. :D

If you like a warmer image haven't done a full hardware monitor calibration and depending on if the display is sRGB, DCI-P3 or how it was called and this whole thing I wonder if that isn't affecting some how what people say about AMD and NVIDIA.
    8 or 10-bit too and the other settings 4:4:4 no compression if display-port or HDMI 2.0 to 2.1 supports that. (Full-range on NVIDIA too.)

EDIT: Not too much of a tweak or anything just set it to not auto for EDID info I think is how it goes and instead make it a manual setting but zero so neither warmer nor colder and with no additional overrides active either.
    Considering the entire Radeon Settings is this red/black color combo it should be easy to tell when it's overshooting with the reds. :D

EDIT: On NVIDIA I would think it's a bit like having a bit of that digital vibrance stuff going but that's overall saturation although similar in effect not sure if there's something better to compare against.

Ideal is the hardware calibration method and making sure this is active and working so it's correct and not eyeballed by fiddling with some sliders in the display driver and monitor settings ha ha.
    It works to a degree but there's a bit more to it and how the OS and the resulting hardware calibrated color profile is handled and don't just throw in some generic display driver included profile.

Sigh basically I can imagine there being a perceived difference to NVIDIA and AMD here but it's due to display driver differences and how some of the defaults and data are handled and set which might not some correcting.
    (Not too great with explanations but the effect should be easy enough to spot or at least I find it fairly noticeable.)

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've been correcting people on this for years lol, apart from the dithering issue (which i don't really care about, temporal dithering gives me a headache) the only difference colour wise is that AMD doesn't pass colours as is to the display where as nvidia does, so where both are set to full range and configured properly the entire device chain, AMD users are of the misconception that AMD has better colours simply because the driver is by default enhancing them.

itpro and JonasBeckman like this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Think it took me a bit too long to get that too initially, Windows basic display driver and passing through the data and how this looks then with the AMD display drivers installed like when doing a clean OS installation or similar if the colors shift they're changing it up somehow thankfully with the red channel it's fairly easily observed especially once it's overshooting and bleeding over a bit like with the Firefox logo though it's strong enough while not super powerful in effect it even changes the folder icon appearance in Explorer itself so I figured it was doing something just not entirely certain what and if it's by design or intent as a warmer color is often considered more pleasing and vibrant.

Someone could perhaps report it but I would like to imagine the AMD QA testers and internal programming teams have eyes so it has to be intentional. :D
    (And the hardware to measure color levels and individual channels and all that if you want to get all technical on it ha ha.)

EDIT: 7000 series graphics cards possibly earlier and a range of low budget displays to the current mid-range of sorts yeah it's been around for a while and can be observed even on less fancy display hardware.
    I'm no expert but I can tell it's shifting and that some tweaking is effective at mitigating it down to more neutral conditions at least.

And that it's understandable some users will prefer this and find it more pleasing for that matter.
    But I still would prefer it to be toggled to on not set as the default. :)

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    had amd and nvidia before,never really noticed any difference
    you'd think this would get a lot of coverage from tech press

imo it's either a case of what you want to see or different default settings,i.e. for color saturation between drivers.

I would personally prefer to have the card output raw,basic color data and do all my tweaks on the monitor
    I made gamma/saturation/RGB+YMC level adjustments via OSD and wouldn't really like a driver to ruin it cause it took time.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Any proof for that? Sounds like total nonsense.

Undying and INSTG8R like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like denial:rolleyes:

colours should look identical between the microsoft basic display driver and a vendor driver until the user decides to change anything within the devices control panel, this is not the case with AMD.

itpro likes this.
  14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    In that case a colorimeter would measure a lower color gamut coverage with AMD vs. Nvidia without correction. I asked where that proof is.
    What a load of rubbish...

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Hmm, Yeah Destiny 2 is true but still pulls 94 fps maxed at 2k W/HDR. To the other things you mentioned. I have not encountered these issues.

I can safely say this card solves a lot of the crashing/black/green screen bugs in the 5700XT and Radeon VII. Actually I had less issues with the Radeon VII than the 5700 XT.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Tangled Shore is where the issues mostly occur, many report as low as 40, some have reported single digit fps.

Tbh, i didn't see any of the reports for Shank2 / MotN on the 6800, so the + might have been jumping the gun,
    the Dgvoodoo issue is documented in its readme http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/ReadmeGeneral/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I've always had issues like bad performance with dgVoodoo on Nvidia too, it's far worse than DXVK and probably also far less compatible than WineD3D for older APIs. Install e.g. Manjaro as 2nd OS, then also games with DLL loading issues like Just Cause 3 or Star Craft 2 work with DXVK. Also older games can run better in general than on Windows.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DGVoodoo performs just fine for DX1 thru 8 and DDraw though, also afaik dgvoodoo is the only way to work with mixed ddraw/glide titles like Uprising 1 and 2 (ddraw on menu's/mission select, Glide on mission load)

i tried it once with a d3d9 game and had to log a bug with dege because it was triggering driver resets, haven't tried it with 9 since d9vk was merged into dxvk.

DGVoodoo makes modded FFXI run better for sure (D3D8)

19. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I need to play with display settings to achieve proper real life colors in my G7 monitor with AMD gpu. Colors pop up like oversaturated in SDR mode and seem dull in HDR more. The reason is AMD drivers are enhancing them by default or keeping them in untouched srgb mode. They are quite indecisive. Bad drivers for the amateur user. At least nvidia is sincere enough to let monitors handle this. Who the hell plays with switch on off toggles in 2021?

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Did you even try a GeForce for comparison? Lots of displays are wide gamut these days and thus oversaturate sRGB input by definition. This has nothing to do with the graphics card vendor.