3090 Owner's thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 24, 2020.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    No issues in new releases, will be testing later today Blender Cycles and Octane and compare to my old results and let's see

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's true it depends alot on the model, but i very much doubt that i'd get 20c higher temps with stock settings on a zotac card compared to my strix, if i were to put it in my cosmos 2 case.

But a bad cooler mount is deffo possibly, and / or bad TIM application - in both cases reapplying TIM and reseating cooler will fix it.

Ye he will get higher clocks with watercooling... it's like 13 mhz higher boost per 10c lower, if im not mistaken. But in the end he will primarily be limited by that 390 watt power limit, as you said yourself :)

I've ordered one more 3090 strix aswell - they originally said i'd get it end of November, but now it's moved to mid January - it will probably be February before i get it. But good luck on getting one :D

3. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Yes I did you obviously didnt read my response, my fans are all set by coolant temps so currently the CPU is liquid cooled the Graphics is air cooled and the case fans work as hard as is required to shift warm air out or cool in to cope with the coolant temperature, this means the 8 fans I have very seldom spin at more than 650rpm, at the moment the GPU is putting no heat into the system, even so there is pretty good airflow because I like to keep the chipset cool enough not to activate the fan which is set at 65degC activation, have set the card max Temp to only 83DegC for now to keep it sensible, it idles at 45 so am confident the mount etc is ok and the fans shutdown
    Base in 2X120, Front in 2X140, Top out 3X140, all based on coolant loop Temp, Back out 1x140 @ 1200rpm limited based on system Temp.

Will let you know the Temps and speeds after Saturday when all is installed Ambient Temp depends on the heating as its Winter but usually about 20-23

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fair enough, i didn't get that part. But then set all the fans to a fixed rpm while gaming (i do), then your gpu temp issues ought to be solved :)

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    So water cooled loop completed had a disaster Yesterday and punched a hole through one of my Rads got a new one today thank god for Amazon prime! I changed all the pipes and went to Alphacool TPV pipes and fittings so Copper Rads, Copper Nickel blocks and rubber/nylon pipes and fittings and Black Alphacool Brass Elbow swivels were required, GPU temp idles at 23 load GPU is 54 max so far and GPU clocks at 1998Mhz under load with no OC or power adjustments so am happy with that, plus the PCs silent again

**edit** after after a few hours playing and some heat cycles getting 2020Mhz happy with that

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It will undoubtedly depend quite a bit on the load. Would be interested in seeing what it clocks to in cyberpunk.

7. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Nice case, I have the exact same one. My card ran 65c with a 20c ambient room temp. It was warmer when I first got the card but still maintained 65c but I use a custom fan curve that will spin up to 100% if the temp gets to 70c. I filled every fan slot though.

suty455 likes this.
  8. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    That was Cyberpunk max everything, I have however now refunded via Steam as its so damn buggy and to be truthful I found it boring just running around solving silly puzzles nothing new just eye candy, only played it for about an hour but have stressed it out with other games and its great best have had so far was 2075 on death stranding, just need to fine tune the aquaero settings now the airs fully gone and the paste has had a few days to cure

Witcher29 likes this.
  9. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I use an aquaero USB without the display honestly one of the best things I have ever bought you can control so much with it, I have added some more sensors with my new loop but I have the following setup now
    Ambient air temp entry
    Coolant water temp
    Chipset temp
    Exhaust temp
    Pump speed, fan speeds are all set by the unit and the 2 Rads and case fans are set independantly to ramp up as required depending on the coolant and chipset temp, I have only scratched the surface of what this little gizmo can do its literally a pc within a pc
    I also have a pressure and flow sensor on order just in case the pump goes faulty and it will shutdown the system, although in reality the bios will do that anyway but by that time the damage may be done via heatsoak
    **sorry bit off topic**

jura11 likes this.
  10. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    DannyD likes this.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    undervolting is highly recommended

https://imgur.com/WGABKac

my regular OC used to hit 78c after 2hrs, my gpu is ROG O24G

suty455 likes this.
  12. Splitwhisker

Splitwhisker Guest

GPU:
    MSI 3090
    Anyone BIOS flashed the MSI Gaming X Trio? if so. which other cards BIOS did you use?

13. Splitwhisker

Splitwhisker Guest

GPU:
    MSI 3090
    does the new EVGA OC Bios work on the Gaming X trio?

EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  14. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    People claim it works. In theory, as long as it's a 3x 8-Pin card it should work, if the components on the card are good enough (although if your cards have more HDMI/Display ports than the one the BIOS is from you may lose some ports). Potentially, the 520W EVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin BIOS may also work, if your card's power delivery system/VRMs can take it (it works well on the ASUS RTX 3090 Strix, for example). If your card has dual BIOS it shouldn't be too much of a risk to try anyway.

15. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Water loop stress test with Aida64 includes GPU test after 15 mins and after 10 mins cooldown
    cooldown.jpg running test.jpg
    Love watercooling why did I wait so long to get into it

jura11, The1 and kx11 like this.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    yeah i have aquasoft controller too

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    What waterblock are you using,temperatures are quite high there,on my loops I usually target 38-42C as max,on single 360mm radiator I target something like 42-48C,here are my temperatures in Cyberpunk 2077,highest temperature what I have seen is 39C

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

18. Splitwhisker

Splitwhisker Guest

GPU:
    MSI 3090
    cool, i have a 1200W PSU now, as the 850W was not enough beans and would cause the System to Reboot frequently. Unfortunately the MSI Gaming X trio does not have dual BIOS. so flashing the card is risky. ill wait a little down the track to see how others perform for reliability. before i do it.

19. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    Got the Hybrid kit today for my 3090 FTW3 - Wasn't going to install it until the weekend but you know, here we are 12:30AM on a weeknight...lol

Really impressed with how far EVGA has come with the hybrid kits, last one i used was for a 1080Ti, I love how the fans are now fully controlled by the card and not plugged into the motherboard now. Installation was painless. It barely clears my NH-D15 cooler, I had to remove one of the fans from it, not seeing a change in CPU temps on my 3900X so no loss there

Quick run through the Red Dead 2 benchmark - 2080Mhz core clock at 52C. This is with the FTW3 Hybrid OC BIOS installed on the card. Was getting around 1950Mhz with the stock cooler at 76C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Have an Alphacool on my GPU and CPU(XPX Block) the pump is fixed at 3k maximum normally idles around 2400, that result is after 16 mins with Aida 64 stability test 3950 CPU @ 4.4 all core boost(155w) and the 3090 is running at 379w in that test, ambient in the room is 20 deg, the delta is only 5 deg or so normally, there was still some residual heat coming out the water as the case fan temp was higher than normal.
    Current its 26 water, 25 case exhaust @189rpm CPU is 33 still at 4.4 and GPU is 25, Ambient is 19 according to the room stat as the heating is on its only 1 deg C here.
    I do have a TechN block on order in Black but it wont be here until the new Year, this is a very expensive hobby!
    1x240 and 1x280 copper rads with all Noctua fans case and rad.