SSD or what?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Pigchild, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I need more storage space. Laugh it up! i'm using an i7 Ivy bridge solid over clocked at 4.1Ghz with 16Gb of OCed fast RAM on an older Z msi Gaming board with an RTX 2080 Super. (Hey! it actually games 50 FPS on 2K solid high setting with BF5 so don't judge.)

Anyway, I need way more fast storage space that will also be lightning fast and compatible with my new future upgrade MOBO, CPU and RAM. What do you suggest??? I'm old and been out of touch many years with the latest bad ass stuff. What about the direct stick type MOBO drives? or should I just go fast SSD and add it to my full tower? Pretty sure my MOBO has extra PCI slots for the stick type drives. Whats best going forward?

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
  3. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    DannyD likes this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'd recommend the Sabrent Rocket or Corsair MP600, samsung drives get very hot.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Just get usual plain SATA SSD. You will be good.

HandR likes this.
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    NVME's are just a barebones version of an SSD without the casing.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    We're all gonna have our own opinions, but Western Digital hasn't let me down for the last 22 years.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Stick to what works best for you. WD are pretty solid.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only SATA ones.

10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yeah OP should find cheapest piece of crap he can find and toss it into his case, thats the guru way.

A2Razor likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the Reds have a habbit of getting weak sectors at the edge of the platter, and the first round of reds (WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 for instance) suffered a smart overflow related to device up time where performance would drop to KB/s reads

anticupidon likes this.
  12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
  13. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    If you want something more future-proof, than NVMe drive with PCIe adapter card will do. Other than that regular SATA SSD will do just fine, however make sure you have spare SATA3 port. SATA3 was still kind of premium back then, most mobos featured only 2 ports.

14. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Ironically, other than for when you get a case of benchmark blues and want to see those big numbers, even budget SATA SSD's are "pretty OK" these days on the performance front. I'd be highly doubtful that SATA SSD's will be greatly beaten by NVMe in gaming performance anytime soon. -- I know there's plenty of people who will probably debate that, yet speaking from experience (in benchmarking RAMDISKS vs SSD's), SATA vs NVMe, and so forth, for compilation scratch disks. The difference is pretty much 'zero'.

There may be situations of real world gain in datacenter usage where a single drive, or mirror of two drives, is being shared between many customers on a single node. Yet in real-world single user performance, minus synthetic performance or file copies, or array rebuilds on disk failure, I mean, you're never going to really notice any impact from the higher transfer speed --- because you're going to hit another form of a bottleneck first {such as CPU}. All impacts to boot time, game load time, etc, are within a second of margin (generally much less).

Best advice is to buy the biggest drive that you can from a reputable manufacturer with a solid warranty. Brands like Intel, Samsung, etc. Technology of the drive won't matter, future proofing in storage is more about "can it fit my stuff"?

15. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes I am aware of practical difference in speed is not much noticeable but if he wants to future-proof than going for larger NVMe is fine. He basically asked if buying NVMe is futureproofing and we all said yes even if it is not going to change anything with his storage but because it's a newer technology, then again I am not seeing SATA going away anytime soon so yes you are right that focusing on capacity rather than interface is more important.