AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.12.2 (6800XT and 6900XT ONLY)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Dec 18, 2020.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I would rather wait one month longer than face the whole "2020" driver fiasco we have had at the beginning.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia is playing dirty for a very long time but people seems to not care. Even Onna who praised the his Vega purchase over already forgoten pascal 1080 now wants the "warm embrace", each of their won i guess.

somemadcaaant, DanielRX and PrEzi like this.
  3. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    True, but It would be great if the driver team could deliver these annual advancements in a state which is usable and on time though.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Same as AMD ;) 7 Years is enough, time to change.

itpro likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    There is change, then there is selling your soul

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Nah, my Soul is mine and is kickin' :p

Passus likes this.
  7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I went to the AMD webby and saw that it's specifically for the 6800XT and 6900XT, vanilla 6800 isn't included. I think it has to do with the LED on the reference cards, with 6800XT and 6900XT having LED and the 6800 doesn't. Doesn't bother me as mine's the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 and Sapphire has its own RGB setup (which I don't bother with).

As for buggy driver, so far, when I play Metro Exodus with RT, it crashes or freeze randomly. For other games I play - Metro Exodus (without RT), Serious Sam 3 BFE (plus The Jewel in the Nile expansion) and Serious Sam 4, Gears of War, Gears of War 5, UT3, Cyberpunk 2077 - no issue thus far.

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You've got an RGB driver and you're happy about this?

Dude, please wake-up and call AMD out on this. Forget the other side. That isn't helping anyone in here. Call them out! Acknowledge the problems and gather together to get them to fix it. Your silence along with others on the issues is allowing them to let these bugs exist way longer than they should.

Sometimes I just don't understand the red-side's users. It's as if defending AMD is more important than the bugs. o_O

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    itpro and Direfield like this.
  9. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    We should probably follow the example of the NVidia forum? For example here:
    "This isn't an nvidia feedback channel
    further to that,
    Performance reports require the user to submit a gpuview or gpu-z log.
    How to generate an event trace log for GPUView to troubleshoot performance issues / low FPS / game stutter
    ..."
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...-14-vs-460-79-benchmarks.435665/#post-5865556

Perhaps it is better, to spend time helping people with problems with NVidia drivers, than wasting on criticizing Radeon users?

PrEzi likes this.
  10. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    AMD surprised us positively with the performance of the new cards. Hardly anyone expected such a big jump. Their only weakness so far is the RT performance. The question is whether it is worth supporting NVidia's dirty marketing just for performance at RT. I know, I'm biased because personally, I don't like RT in games. Games made with RT performance in mind, have simplified graphics. Less detail, simple textures, empty walls and a reduced number of objects. That's are the costs that have to be paid for the additional ray tracing lighting effects to maintain acceptable performance. I know a lot of people like it, but for me it's stepping back. In those few games currently supporting RT, I didn't notice anything that would knock me off my feet. However, I noticed worse overall graphics quality compared to many games in recent years. In my opinion, the ten-year-old Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had much better ambient graphics than today's Control.

somemadcaaant likes this.

11. At least NVIDIA has a good HDMI implementation (with Pascal at least) and doesn't mysteriously break Oculus Link on GPUs 2-3 generations old, and then leave it broken for 4-5 driver releases :p

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's part of the problem, we try to help and we speak-up. You aren't helping things by just adding more praise for AMD and putting Nvidia down. That's exactly the problem I just described. Your opinion of RT has nothing to do with the fact it's broken in the drivers. It's still broken and it makes others not want to post because they don't want to get dragged into that RT conversation. They just want it to work.

As for me, I want them to fix things like that and resolve mission-critical bugs. I'm a potential customer, but, with such passive responses to these problems from users like yourself, it's actually quite worrying.

And then I worry even more when you talk about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I'm pretty sure you wasn't there on release, but, I know for a fact I was in that conversation. 10yrs? Really? :rolleyes: I can't make this stuff up.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    selling your soul is sticking with a company that does exactly the same bullshit as the other company while claiming the other company is the mantle of evil.

They all only care about you long enough to get your money.

the underdog and victimhood mentality has done its job.

Apple does the same crap

Apparently you have a critical thought deficiency, Guru3D is NOT an nvidia feedback channel and providing system performance data is REQUIRED by nvidia to log any bug based on a user report of performance change.

Users post here as if nvidia is actively monitoring the place for any new topic / post including their products (and then whinge when the issue doesn't get fixed)

I don't expect @SpajdrEX to always be here and forward bugs to AMD (he just has a activity level that makes it likely XD), Manuel really only picks up on things posted in the driver thread or when a user actually links him to something being experienced in volume via DM or PM,,

Contrasting fact, the Geforce section of this forum doesn't talk about AMD half as much as the AMD section whines and shits on nvidia, stick to talking about the product relevant to the section.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    OnnA, Stormyandcold and A2Razor like this.
  14. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    IMO, there's no such thing as "selling your soul" in picking a product based on its specifications and your requirements. e.g, Need software that only supports CUDA? Want mature raytracing right-now, or high RT performance? Playing some game that's impacted heavily by API overhead, or that doesn't work well with AMD's drivers? Encountering stuff like display corruption, lockups, and other deal-breaker tier issues?

- Effectively that's just free market capitalism, the way things should be. Voting with your wallet.

Hell, I was prepared to go back to NVidia this generation if the RX 6000 series didn't work out for me {and if I saw a Geforce 3080 available, frankly, I would've bought one}. There was a period of time with my Fiji and Vega that I went back to my old NVidia hardware purely in that it just worked without workarounds for display corruption. {something so basic as being able to use a text-editor [IDE in idle states] not working right due to buggy power-management that AMD NEVER QUITE FIXED -- for their older generation hardware}

If AMD wants to maintain its current customers and future customers, they need to fight for them. Fortunately, at least so far **knock on wood**, I've not had any deal breaker tier bugs this time around.

Yet that's not a reason to neglect their past generations of hardware, which have MASSIVE outstanding driver bugs {and hardware quirks}.....

I half expect given the issues such as corruption were acknowledged, yet never fully fixed, that the Radeon team is --incapable-- of fixing them without hardware change. If they simply gave up, yet were capable, that's flat out unacceptable ... at the same time blatantly listing issues as 'resolved' when tons of people still have them happen is "not cool". I mean, if someone is plagued by such, can you blame them for going NVidia? I certainly can't, and like I've mentioned here and in other places a few times, I was mighty close to going Green-Team this time around.

Bottom line: When a customer buys a product, they deserve a functional product. I don't understand why, when for example, tricks such as locking the HBM clocks, or raising voltage, or disabling power management, alleviate issues that such options can't be implemented as optional bandaid solutions "officially" either.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    INSTG8R, Stormyandcold and OnnA like this.
  15. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    [​IMG]

itpro and PrEzi like this.

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    The worm embrace?
    Dude you had a 3080 listed in your specs the day they got released.:D

PrEzi likes this.
  17. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Nothing like being embraced by a worm.

somemadcaaant likes this.
  18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Guys relax. You either have faith or not.

I am kidding about being a bad anti-amd guy. This driver only has updated control settings. Not even worth mentioning. :)

Problem is, after Fury era, Polaris, Vega and Navi failed miserably. No drivers, no proper support. We expected amd to give us the new golden gpu series like hd5000 and HD7000 series. Back then was true fine wine. Afterwards red became dark.

We expected new omega driver with tons of fixes for old gpus. AMD cannot code proper drivers in 2021! Hire some devs noob Lisa. I doubt she knows her thing.

Ryzen saves ATI for the last 2 or 3 years.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well I was one who actually liked the Radeon VII vs 5700 XT for many reasons. 16GB Vram really did help. But I can vouch for the 6800XT. This thing is insane and I don't even own a 5900X as of yet.

5700XT is a nice card now...at launch...yeah I agree it was a mess.

20. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Why would you expect from AMD to fix anything? That is not faith, that is more like gambling. You see, faith requires some foundation of good will (like fixes in the past) while gambling is hope to win, but eventually, you will lose. In this case, your issues will most likely remain indefinitely after certain driver.

The worst part in all of this are unpaid AMD keyboard warriors who will rather throw their beloved AMD hardware under the bus then accept driver bugs...