How are radeon drivers these days ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cucaulay malkin, Dec 13, 2020.

1. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.

"DGVodoo encounters an issue",dgVoodoo is a legacy DirectX and 3DFX Glide wrapper program if i want to run it i have a voodoo 5500 somewhere around,the league of legends (dx9) is running amazingly,Destiny 2 is driver problem,"weak OpenGL performance" well Hades(Supergiant Games) and OpenGL 2.1v is running great and here is "the weak dx11 performance as always" :) image_2020-12-16_212609.png

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You're out of your depth trying to confront me with a picture from a review that used a high end cpu to offset performance (with the intent to show off its peak performance, and not its worst cases), and the rest of your post was just brainless ranting.

The tech literate AMD users know whats up, you're just brigading for the endorphins.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Drivers are fine on my end.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Just had a thought, run this and post the output of DXGI devices > <card name> Direct3D 11

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/247515315825672203/788863584825638962/capstest.7z

should tell us whether dxvk is enabling command list and concurrent creates

Oh, he said they are

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/471#issuecomment-401819067

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    JonasBeckman likes this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    the hell is dxvk ?

well,I'm glad the drivers seem to be stable,that's really priority for me

6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    For DXVK, do I just copy the d3dxx.dll and dxgi.dll in the game folder? I assume it won't work with all games because I tried it with Mafia: Definitive edition (DX11) and all I got was a black screen and the driver freaked out.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Typically, yes. However some games occasionally don't like having all files present (Like GTAIV)

For mafia....
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/4220

8. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

There used to be another separate project [a fork] called D9VK {which as the name implies was D3D9 focused}, yet D9VK merged back with DXVK to minimize confusion {a single project covering everything}.

-- While intended for use under Wine, it can be used on Windows without Wine as an alternative to the Windows / driver D3D implementation. In the case of AMD, sometimes DXVK provides higher performance than AMD's native implementation. {somewhat sad}

Sadly, not always an option due to anti-hack software / game protection. It can be blocked, and you might get banned for its use [though usually such bans get reversed], so it's best to only use in offline-games.

If anyone does use it, I'd suggest sticking to builds that are included with Proton releases. Highest chance of them being whitelisted by anti-hack software.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Lots of DX11 games run fine on AMD, using DXVK for them only makes sense on a single case base.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    light stuff, sure. do anything significantly advanced with the renderer or that has heavy population counts with dynamic shadows and lighting (Draw call heavy) and your lowest fps are worse off even with a high end cpu.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Not necessarily, Frostbite runs very fast. Also many open world games like Witcher 3 are fine, but yes, some like Mafia DE struggle a bit (or a bit more).
    Though CPU bound performance in Dunia engine is mostly the same as on Nvidia.

It's also really losing significance with most games being DX12 these days. My personal impression is that AMD is also plagued less with driver regressions in games.

My brother got himself an RX 6800 and it looks to me like one of the GPU launches with fewest driver issues.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Frostbite uses aggressive culling and has a limit on how many dynamic light and shadow entities can exist on screen at a time, its dominantly an engine meant for multiplayer and is designed around that.

Make no mistake though, Dice also had issues reigning the overhead in early on and thats why they were an early adopter of Mantle, Also why you've never seen anything with extensive npc population built with it.

Frostbite also has the benefit of being involved in GPUOpen, co-optimising the engine with assistance from AMD, something you don't tend to hear happening since the ATI days.

Good read on what they did to make GCN work better here
    https://frostbite-wp-prd.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/29204330/GDC_2016_Compute.pdf

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX6800 owner her, so far, I've played a number of games (Gears of War 5, Gears of War, Serious Sam 3 BFE and Serious Sam 4, Cyberpunk 2077, UT3 - hey, I love oldies and this is my fave shooter) and only with Metro Exodus with RT enabled would it crash, randomly.

Sometimes, I can get through a few levels without issue, sometimes a crash or two even in a single level). But other than that, no issue at all, only think I don't like is that fan curve in Adrenalin doesn't stick. Come January, I'd be moving on to the excellent Speedster MERC319 RX 6900XT as I've already preordered it. Wondering if I should sell off my Sapp Nitro+ 6800 or put it in my 2nd rig, replacing the PowerColor VEGA64 Red Devil.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    anvil next has major problems too

https://www.purepc.pl/test-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-core-i7-10700kf-na-rtx-3080-i-rx-6800-xt?page=0,13

like I said in the OP,I was aware of this and it was the reason I abandoned my r9 290 when dx11 was the only option.

I was hoping it could've been fixed,but still I'm willing to accept it for what it is.What I don't want is any instability.
    6800xt is a sweet 1440p card,rivals 3080 and pulls good 50-70w less (check yt footage or average power draw charts like tpu).

the worst part about this move is gonna be finding a new monitor,I'm never gonna find a display like xb241yu.might look for alternatives from asus tuf high refresh series.

that's a shame,I played through the whole thing with rt+dlss,never crashed once.

I'm gonna feel stupid if I get this card and don't like it.During the five years I've had NV (980,980Ti,1080,1080Ti,2070S,1070) I hardly remember any issues.I just don't like the power draw on 3080 and I feel like 3070/3060Ti are gonna feel a bit too weak in a year or two.

15. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    I can confirm that raytracing currently is "not" stable in many games. Which isn't a big deal for me personally in the games that I play. It might be for some people of course.

But yes, the system doesn't lock up though --- the games also are completely stable if RT is 'off', and this is something I'm sure will be addressed eventually down the road. If you want mature raytracing right now -- then RX 6000 wouldn't be a good choice. For me, it's never been a priority / I'm good enough knowing the support is there once the feature is mature.

16. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    use google translator
    Εχουμε δημοκρατια και στις δημοκρατιες ολες οι αποψεις ειναι δεκτες ετσι και εγω δεχομαι τις αποψεις σου χωρις ομως να χρησιμοποιω εκφρασεις οπως ανεγκεφαλος και αγραμματος επισης τα αγγλικα δεν ειναι η φυσικη μου γλωσσα οποτε οπως καταλαβαινεις υπαρχει μια δυσκολια στη επικοινωνια,(ΕΑΝ ΔΕΝ ΜΠΟΡΕΙΣ ΝΑ ΚΑΤΑΝΟΗΣΗΣ ΤΑ ΓΡΑΦΩΜΕΝΑ ΣΤΑ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ ΟΧΙ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΣΕ ΑΠΟΚΑΛΕΣΩ ΑΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΟ Η ΑΝΕΓΚΕΦΑΛΟ), δεν θα ξανα ασχοληθω με τις αναρτησεις σου εχω στο σπιτι μου 4 συστηματα(Ιntel,Amd,Nvidia) και ξερω απο πρωτο χερι τα δυνατα και αδυνατα σημεια τους και μπορω να πω πως η εμπειρια που εχω αποκτηση εαν εξαιρεσεις μερικα bugs απο εδω και απο εκει ειναι εξαιρετικη.
    ΣΟΥ ΕΥΧΟΜΑΙ ΚΑΛΑ ΜΥΑΛΑ ΤΕΛΟΣ.

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's not about priority,let's not make excuses.they need to get it to work if it's a feature I'm paying for.

18. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Not really making excuses. AMD was late to the game for Raytracing, and this is their first hardware (and thus first drivers) really supporting it. NVidia's drivers had alot of problems the first few months after the RTX series launch as well {with regards to raytracing}.

More just being realistic here. Yes, they need to fix it. Yet I expected it to have problems on launch frankly.

At the same time, none of the games that I'm actively playing really demand it.

19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    rt is out of the question on 6800xt anyway.Im not looking into it for rt performance but great 1440p results under 250w.if you turn on SAM at 1440p it's a landslide victory for amd in terms of perf/wat.In cp2077 footage I found on yt 6800xt at 2.66GHz was still puling 290w,less than 3080 stock.

but still ....... nvdia had almost no time to get rt in metro and bf5 working.amd had plenty.

how is that xfx card doing ? it's absolutely gorgeous

20. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    No driver crashes unless RT is enabled in games of those that I've played, no major problems.

Performance is stellar vs my old Vega FE Liquid at 1440p, and it's quite playable at 4K even with many games hitting 60+ fps. Temps wise, if you disengage zero fan, it runs pretty darn cool.

For instance: 27c in IDE's coding, browsing, or on the desktop {at 15%}. Typically under 50c in games with no more than 30% fanspeed at 1440p, and can be kept at 50c and under in fairly demanding games -- with 50% fanspeed or less {70-74F ambient}, with the exception of exceptionally demanding games or 4KHD. Pretty darn nice card, only thing I dislike is the length of it and that I had to modify my chassis to get it to fit.

cucaulay malkin likes this.