Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.12.1 driver download & disccussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What type of crash, screen goes black or system freeze or game itself crashes.

2. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Sorry, precisely game freezes most of the time, but had 1-2 crashes with back to desktop and a few times freezed the système to... (sometimes had sounds but couldn't leave the game, alt-tab or task manager didn't Respond)

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Wasn't going to add anything else just let others respond but then realized you have an Asus Strix card.

I don't have a Vega 64 but I do have a Asus Strix card, and with my specific model of card there is a wide spread problem of the screen going black when playing video games "aka" when the card is under load, Asus released a bios update trying to fix this issue which it didn't, just made it happen less.

I managed to basically fix the problem by undervolting the upper state 7 voltage from it's default value of 1150mV to 1132mV, now you're card is going to have different voltages of course because it's a different card, and the issue I have with mine is probably not the same as yours, I am just throwing this out there as something you can try.

Have you ever tried undervolting the card to see if makes it stable under load?

Krevar likes this.
  4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    No issues with Vega and 20.12.1 here

Krevar likes this.

5. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Usually i always use it undervolted (auto undervolt or 1080mv P7@ 1630mhz), and never had such problem with or without undervolt. I just mentionned "@stock" to avoid stability problems while testing if the game works, but tried with autoUV to and no difference. My temps are good to and since the game stops after seconds, doesn't have time to heat up! :) I don't think it's voltage related because once i reinstall 20.11.1, i can play for hours without a problem. Seems like driver related for me...
    Anyway thank you very much for helping!!

KissSh0t likes this.
  6. wuest3nfuchs

wuest3nfuchs Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800xt Pulse
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    yeah its working confirmed myself. 5-7fps boost on 2700X. Usage goes up to all 16threads now.

HD64G and wuest3nfuchs like this.
  10. Lumaan

Lumaan Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290X 4GB OC
    I have done it on my owen Asus Strix Vega 64, but it's for Asus Strix 5700 xt.

A user said
    "Sebastjan Pustovrh
    VEGA56 and 64 had the same problem with the VRM mounting pressure. Had to fix dozens of cards back in 2017"

11. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    I have already repasted my die with kryonaut, changed the pads (including vrm of course) with thermal grizzly, and swapped the fans with 2 noctua Nf - A12x15. It's cool and silent since. It has been a year. My temps are really good, including hotspot. Every game or bench is stable. As i said The problem is concerning AC:Valhalla with drivers after 20.11.1, and these one works perfectly even after +4h of gameplay. I just didn't test the latest drivers with other games, i only play Valhalla for now. I will try other games, but still it's clearly a software problem...

12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Yepp, working verrry nicely on my 3960X...

Undying likes this.
  13. Lumaan

Lumaan Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290X 4GB OC
    I don't play AC:Valhalla so can't tell you why..

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    RX 580 1440/2150 Samsung FC memory w/bios mod. 2500K@4.7GHz 16GB@2133MHz CL 10
    Win10 2004 AME
    AMD 20.12.1

All indicators are normal. Negligible point drop in Firestrike, maybe 30 pts.
    No explosions. No dead cards. No overheating. No detectable voltage spikes.
    Will edit with anything notable in CyberPunk.

Edit: better performance, radeon overlay is all tiny though.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  15. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    passenger likes this.

16. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Something I've noticed - you have to change the size over and over for some odd "reason". Just like with voltage resetting itself, AMD should fix this.

PieEyedPiper likes this.
  17. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    Stable driver on my end.

Previous drivers for some time had issues displaying madVR's seekbar in MPC-BE when changing from windowed to fullscreen mode. This driver fixed it finally.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    @SpajdrEX You guys working on the anniversary driver..!? :cool: :D :rolleyes:

Can you confirm or deny this! lol.

19. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I've seen quite a few issues with Vega during the last 1,5 years on several different models, on my Asus AREZ sample the VRMs got very hot but as you've modded your card already that doesn't seem to be it. I got blackscreens / crashes to desktop there even with undervolting after a couple of months with that one.

But I have also seen the issue you describe while playing Battlefield 1 during this summer, once under load the PC would hit the over current protection after 2 - 4 minutes of gameplay suddenly and 100% reproducible, I feared that the card (now a reference model) might have been the culprit. The temperatures were okay, I've modded mine with a Morpheus 2 and a good paste. But it turned out that it was my power supply having issues. First I thought it was a bad PCIe cable and also got a new one from the PSU manufacturer and connected two cables seperately for each 8-Pin connector on the card, but that wasn't the problem. With a different PSU model I haven't seen this issue again albeit I also can hear some crackling from the new PSU if the card comes under load or switches into idle. If that is normal for such load transitions, I have no idea.

HD64G likes this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm afraid nothing this year :)

hongsj and Jackalito like this.