Extraordinary (impossible) performance claims from a GTX 1050 Ti user. Got questions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I will keep this post short, as I don't want to extend it too much. Basically, I am at a Discord server and there is a guy who has a GTX 1050 Ti and basically, he claims impossible performance figures for such GPU. There is also another guy who is my friend, with literally the same rig and he pretty much gets GTX 1050 Ti expected results. This individual basically claims he is getting GTX 1060 performance levels or even more and not only that, all of this with an i5 4460. He has 16 gigs of RAM, but so do I and same for my friend and not even me with a GTX 1060 can't even come close to his bold claim of The Witcher 3 at ULTRA non-HW, 45-60 fps. He also claims he is running cp-2077 at 40 to 50 fps on medium-HIGH. I could not break 40 fps on medium-LOW on a 1060. Same for the videos I watch on YT. Apparently he can also run Hitman 2 at ULTRA averaging 60 fps, all of this said by him, screenshots can be provided if needed.

Videos are, of course, a very different reality when you search for the 1050 Ti:

And these are the fps my bud gets, within margin of error, while this guy and his miracle 1050 Ti claims 60's on Ultra. He even posted his user.ini file for TW3 and it is indeed pretty much beefed up to Ultra.

I have an i7 4770, an EVGA 1060 and 16 GB of RAM, my computer is far stronger than his and while I can get locked 60 fps at TW3 at medium/high, I can't even touch the ultra settings or my fps will tank to the 40's and 30's. Even testing different drivers or other Windows versions, the results are not too different.

He has "proved" he has a 1050 Ti by showing the box and some screenshots, but he made a bunch of excuses when my friend asked him to show the GPU inside his case, some stuff about cable management, etc.

So what gives? Is anyone in here getting such results from a 1050 Ti? Or could be has has a wrongly branded 1050 Ti? Any ideas?

If anyone is interested, I can get any of you in contact with him as he is the Discord server I moderate, but everything is so fishy that I would not be surprised he is a head-on full liar. This caught my attention and has been bugging me for a while because he has a low-tier computer that somehow is beating better computer than his and performing better than similar rigs to his.

Honestly, me and my bud are very puzzled by this and he even wants to know how such performance could be possible with a 1050 Ti; some bios mod or such?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    RobinTR likes this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Don`t be puzzled.

He can fake results.
    He can tweak his rig (to death).

Either way you hardly gain something from him because modern HW+FW+SW combination is too complex to have universal tweaks.

PS
    Also his rig can be on liquid cooling hyper overclock...

Smough and RobinTR like this.
  3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Those little labels on the Afterburner OSD.. you can edit them to say anything you want. Likely he has a completely different GPU in his system.

Smough, cucaulay malkin and RobinTR like this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    If I turn everything off and run 720P I can get just a tad under 60FPS in Cyberpunk 2077 with my laptop with an i5 8300H and a 1050Ti

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    exactly

this could be Jensen running Titan V CEO in Quad SLI trolling AMD owners :p

Smough likes this.
  6. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i can rename my 2080 super on the ini files and claim i managed to run cp 2077 on a 1050ti with raytracing.

after all nvidia drivers are easy to mod and do this kind of stuff, i've seen kind of crap for years specially from nvidia fanboys that want to troll or discredit amd users and make look their gpu like trash.

Long time ago in a spanish forum i visit, I a saw guy with a super overclocked 1080ti renaming it to a 1070 to show amd people that the vega 54 and vega 64 were abosolute garbage. Then people realized and the guy was kicked forever from there.

Also reminds me of that guy that claimed that gsync can work without gsync monitors and all gsync related stuff was inside the drivers but the only thing he did was just find the alpha fast sync option inside the drivers before it was released to public

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Smough likes this.
  7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    This is what I suspect he is doing; both for his CPU and GPU. He invented a low-tier computer, specs-wise and then decided to mess with people by saying the most demanding games on it run perfectly fine when in reality anyone with a computer like the one he claims he has would be starving for fps. His Witcher 3 numbers are 1070 tier (which are the numbers my friend who has a legit 1050 Ti estimated and another guy who is also my friend, he has a 1070 and does get those numbers), no idea for cp-2077, but I assume a 1070 can handle it on medium-high averaging 45 fps, which are the numbers he claims he has. So he is reporting performance results from a much higher spec GPU and then he says its a 1050 Ti. Same for his CPU; when you look for videos with an i5 4460 and it has some issues with some new games, it is not a bad CPU by any means and still its great, but not to the point of behaving like a 6th gen i7 would behave for example.

In any way, I am glad you told me this because to be honest, I didn't think changing the name of your parts would be even possible, since you'd assume is tied to the drivers.

8. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Is his performance in W3 that far off?... He seems to be getting more like 30fps in W3 @ 1080p with Ultra on that vid. On my GTX1060 - 2500k & 16GB of RAM I get a near perfect 60fps with Ultra (HW off) with a 1080p res. I don't have the other games, so can't comment, but Witcher3 seems easy to run at 60fps on older hardware, at least @ 1080p, so if anything you are underperforming for some reason.

I haven't run the game for ages, but this is a shot from an old save as you enter Novigrad I took on my PC running Ultra settings.
    [​IMG]

RobinTR likes this.
  9. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Could you link this discord. Maybe this is the same guy who stated that gsync is driver only.

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    For a 1060, that's pretty normal, specially without any mods. Also the video I linked is with a 1050 Ti, the 1060 doubles its performance at some cases. In TW3 case, you will get some fps drops where there is foliage, outside the cities, like dense forests, shadows on ultra can lower fps a bit in there, but in general, the 1060 can keep a very high framerate with this game. I guess I get harder drops on ultra because of lighting mods, graphics mods and such, but is not bad anyway.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I'll DM it to you.

12. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I've only just noticed your card is a 3gb which may also have an impact as well.... I do have a few mods running, such as lighting, and some HD texture packs in W3, but they seem to have little impact.

I'm confused though, as you say a 1060 should get 60fps, and roughly 50% more than a 1050ti, which is pretty much what that vid shows. I can't image the results he shows are fake as they seem in line with what it should be, unless I'm missing something.

13. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I'm playing Cyberpunk on an old 970 almost maxed out on a 970 fullHD at rock solid 30fps. (i get about 38-45fps)...When almost all reviews online give death to my loved card XD

Windows and process debloating can give you a good 5-10% increase.
    XG-Drivers...also does miracles on my card! I don't know why nobody on this forum support them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  14. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    Well i am relatively new member here but i take a look here from years ago.... I think no one talks about them due to arguments in the past between Guru3d staff and the author of XG drivers (also i think it was prohibited -in the past... dunno now- to discuss anything related to that argument so i guess i should stop)

15. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    i guess it's OC + low res monitor (1366x768) if a person is never accustomed to high res..... low res is perfect (actually i do that :v)

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    He says he plays at 1080p, but I doubt that tbh.

17. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Things like this go directly in the bin as far as I'm concerned.
    If there's no actual evidence to support these extraordinary claims it's not worth the headache to argue the point.

If you must, just leave a few links to reputable sources for others to read/watch and be done with it.

Smough likes this.
  18. hearnia_2K

hearnia_2K Active Member

GPU:
    PNY RTX 2080 Super
    You failed to mention resolution in your original post. If he's running a lower resolution he'll get higher frame rates, up until he is cpu limited. What overclocks has he got? Has he gone as far as things like voltmods, liquid cooling? Seems unlikely on a 1050 Ti, but definitely not impossible - doesn't need much more than an old cpu cooler.