Small hack could improve Cyberpunk 2077 perf for gamers on certain AMD processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I said it before and I'll say it again. It's not my job as a consumer to fix something I shouldn't have to. You do this tweak you're gonna screw up all future updates and the integrity of the games installation. I'll pass.

3. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    With my 2700X certain games perform better with multithreading disabled, Elder Scrolls Online is what I mainly play and I have to disable multithreading for it to perform best. I'm sure with certain processors maybe the 5000 series may not be effected in the same way due to their architecture.

I am guessing SMT degrades performance on some older models but not newer and since they just disabled it across the board for AMD some will see better performance out of hacking SMT in.

4. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Doubt it. It's really so hard to back up the original .exe?

insp1re2600 likes this.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    On top of this fix to actually use SMT threads on AMD CPUs, the memory pool values are set the same as the console settings...

Go to your CP2077 game folder > engine > config > memory_pool_budgets.csv

Set the values in that to something more appropriate for your system. Loading a save would previously take 2-5 seconds for me, now it's more like 1-2 seconds. I've only looked at one area but performance is up only a little from the RAM pool setting change, but other people are reporting massive performance increases depending on their hardware and area in the game.

I have no idea WTF CDPR are doing, but this has to be the messiest giant game release I've ever seen in terms of performance/bugs. I have no idea how they could overlook SMT being disabled for AMD CPUs, that seems intentional, since I don't believe those working on the game are that stupid.

And no, disabling SMT on AMD CPUs wouldn't raise performance on some chips, that makes no sense, this game will use all the threads you have. In my case, after the fix, all 24.

mentor07825, Keitosha, JAMVA and 3 others like this.
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It was posted many times in Cyberpunk threads . All AMD benchmarks are off and game should be retested with this fix.

Someone got money from Intel :D. It killed performance on my 3300X, it's night and day difference after fix.

doorspaulo and Kaarme like this.
  7. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    No your not .. just copy the .exe to somewhere to back it up then apply the fix .. when updates come just pop the original .exe back

Silva likes this.
  8. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This may have been fixed in a patch, my Ryzen 1700 does not show any unbalanced load across the cores like shown in some treads about this problem.

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    HEX editing the game's .exe file will potentially screw nothing besides the game, and if so, just have a backup of the file ready (even the freeware editor I use automatically makes a backup in the same folder), or just delete it and verify integrity. Also, no-one's forcing you to do anything.

10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It's not fixed. Also depends GPU you have and area you test ,it only matters, city center. I tested yesterday on 1600AF ( aka. 2600) and it made night and day difference with RTX3060Ti , doubled FPS in centre ....

Valken likes this.

11. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    4 systems 1600x,2600x,2700x,3800x the fix is working on all of them maybe after the patch/fix from cdred you should revisit the bench good morning from Greece

Turanis likes this.
  12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Odd, I have GOG 1.04 and I can't find it
    "75 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08" at all

13. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Does this have any improvement on FX series, anyone here tried it so far with any FX chip.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If you're using something like HxD making sure you have it set to search for hex and not text or something else. And the value to replace it with which I used (what's listed in PC Gaming Wiki and suggested elsewhere) is different at EB 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08.
    I heard it doesn't change anything for Bulldozer based chips, but just enable an OSD and see your CPU thread usage. Either way you're heavily, and I mean to the absolute extreme, bottlenecked by your CPU with a 3070. An FX chip would bottleneck a 1070.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Add 3600X and 3300X to the list :) Confirmed :)

kanenas likes this.

16. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX
    And what values would be proper for the 5950x? I have no clue :D

17. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Can anyone confirm this for 3700x?

18. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    I know above the current situation of the bottlenecks i am having, but i have to live with it for now as the availability and pricing of Ryzen 5000 isnt worth an upgrade, maybe by march it might be easier to buy everything i need.

19. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    This is a big screwup, but hopefully will be ironed out in patch but good can do fix sooner.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I know no one is forcing me to do it, that's why I'm not. You're missing the entire point. Why would someone need to do this after paying $60 for a game that's been in development for nearly 8 years?

If I wanted to frack with the executable I would, but I don't want to. Because this game is gonna have a crap load of updates and I don't want to keep cutting and pasting files.

gx-x likes this.