Review: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    That's your opinion. AMD can charge whatever they want just like nVidia.
    In my opinion all new GPUs are overpriced. I'm eyeing for an used Vega56 for 100~150$ or 5700XT for 200$ max. Ask more and I'm not buying.
    As for 6900XT performance, it's very underwhelming. Expected more like 15% improvement over 6800XT from the top die, not 5~10%.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Nobody cares about you, me, ... us.
    We do not create products. We buy them. Demand for GDDR6 does not come from us. It comes from AMD/nVidia/... .
    Our demand is for cards, not specific memory solution.

Would I rather see GDDR6X/GDDR6 18Gbps RDNA2 card instead of $980 liquid cooling nonsense?
    Even those AIB cards with $770 price tags for 6800 XT are poor value proposition. If bill of material included faster memory chips, it would be better product.
    But there would still be power limits too.

FlawleZ, cucaulay malkin and itpro like this.
  3. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    I hope you feel better now that you have that out of your system. Go have a Snickers and relax buddy.

ZXRaziel and cucaulay malkin like this.
  4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    [​IMG]

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The 3060 Ti without RT is sufficient for 4K (especially with DLSS). At 1080p, the 3060 Ti is sufficient with RT. If you want 4K and RT together, then yeah, the 3080 is the best overall choice, though even then, I'm not sure that's actually powerful enough.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not believe words sufficient and DLSS should be used in same sentence. As use of DLSS is proof that card has insufficient performance for given resolution.
    Otherwise one could say that even 2060 is sufficient for 4K. In the end, there are super poor IQ modes like 9X where Actual 4K image output is faked from 1280x720 render.
    And I tend to believe 2060 is capable to deliver reasonable fps on 720p.

FlawleZ likes this.
  7. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I lost all interest in buying 6800XT/6900XT they are not even listed on the biggest computer stores in Canada.Such a shame.

8. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well, good to see the performance of this card, AMD has come a long way now and finally can compete with Nvidia. But I still rock with my RTX 3080, it's just more efficient even at 8nm, DLSS is great and we also get good RT performance. So no, it was not a bad choice to choose the 3080 instead of waiting. 10GB is enough for 4K. What matters is fast SSD, good OCed CPU and fast RAM to go with it

9. EngEd

EngEd Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    No issues with my RTX 3080 using DLSS, the card is so quiet because of DLSS, and the temp lays around 55C on air at 1950Mhz. I play with LG OLED CX

10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The 4k drop is quite big considering. Only thing I can think of is that the bit bus at this point fails the hardware. But yeah the price of this card is not amazing. Better than what I paid for a 3090 though assuming as HH said you don't want DLSS or ray tracing.

Still its good to have some nice competition and blows being traded not felt like this since the 7970 Vs 680 series

11. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    The only thing that matters is the final output.
    DLSS is proven already to be fine.
    Keep putting "Actual Pixels" ahead of real life image quality and performance, that's your loss.

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review @Hilbert Hagedoorn . I got mix feelings towards this card , it performs in between the rtx3080 and rtx3090 wish is great to see , but i feel it is held back by power limit and drivers. Also it seems it is bandwidth starve at 4k resolution. Overall not good / not bad , just mehh... go with the 6800xt as it offers better price to performance ratio. Availability 0 , zero , cero , nada , null :rolleyes: , nowhere to be found pink unicorn of a graphics card ....

ZXRaziel, Maddness, Airbud and 2 others like this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The 3060 Ti can play in 4K, but DLSS can make up for wherever it may fall short. If your goal is to get 60FPS, you could probably upscale 1440p, where DLSS's loss in detail will be minimal. And that's an important point to make, because a 2060 upscaling to 4K will likely have to do so at 720p, where the loss of detail will not be minimal, and therefore insufficient.
    If you have to upscale more than double your resolution, you won't get desirable results. At that point, you might as well just lower detail level and play at 4K natively.

Anyway, I would prefer a GPU that can render 4K natively, without making any sacrifices. I myself would be more interested in DLSS if it could work on anything, but it doesn't.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While this is not the thread for it. here, have it from someone who had mood and decency to describe things way they are:

To sum it up for you. Even on 1080p screen like mine, I can see DLSS based motion artifacts when it is captured and replayed on 4K mode.
    That means, in motion I have better image clarity than DLSS on 4K. Nothing is for free. Use of DLSS to gain performance costs image quality.
    Proper use of DLSS would be:
    - Native resolution rendering => DLSS to resolution above native => precise downsampling to native

That way, you get superior image quality at reasonable performance penalty.

What you describe is exact opposite. You get extra performance at cost of unreasonable image quality loss.
    But there is one thing to consider. People with screens that have so much frame to frame transition errors, that their image clarity in any kind of motion is already poor.

15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Since AMD greenlighted AIBs for Custom 6900XTs, I feel pretty strongly that a well engineered custom 6900XT will exceed performance of 3090 in almost every case, even Nvidia sponsored/biased titles.

Ray Tracing will still be behind this generation, but it's pretty gimmicky at this point in time. I find it very similar to the days when DX10 finally arrived and Microsoft and Nvidia marketed the heck out of it. Yet the visual comparison left people squinting and searching for differences and the performance hit was quite noticeable (not as bad as RT). Fast forward almost 15 years and DX10 never really brought much more to the table than DX9. I feel Ray Tracing may be headed down the same path.

16. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    So..the card is a little on the "meh" side...
    If you compare this with 6800XT the price difference is by no means justified.
    In a way this is the problem with the entire Big Navi line: the AMD cards are overpriced. I suspect that this has something to do with the graphic cards demand and a little with covering the research and development costs for Big Navi since AMD is truly confident that they have a winner card - "They" - not us because I bet that there will be out of stock messages everywhere.

It is not a bad card and yes, AMD needed a halo product - but is it??? - to me it does not sound like a "titan card": It has the same amount of vram like 6800 and 6800XT, the same bus width...where is the outrageous???..No, this is not a halo product...there is nothing extreme about it...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    RTX 3060 will have 12GB of memory when RTX 3060 Ti only has 8GB, huh?

18. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    a flagship card thats bandwidth-limited. huh. cant remember the last time that happened.

$500 less than the 3090, but it still kinda stings on principle doesnt it

19. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    ...and $300 more than RTX 3080 that is equal or close in performance and for less money you get extra like superior ray tracing performance, tensor cores (dlss)... - that steps with army boots on principle...

20. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Goodbye.