Warzone and Cold War Stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by KyleStilkey, Nov 13, 2020.

1. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I am having this weird issue and I'm unsure if this may be related to AMD drivers or something else but I have another friend also having the same issue on a 5600XT and I have a 5700XT where the game will freeze for a second every 5-10 seconds.

Looking into this when the freeze happens randomly the System process will take over 30-40% GPU usage then go down. Now I can play multiple matches in a row without a issue and sometimes I can play 1 and this happens. I'm unaware of any current issues or if anyone has some suggestions.

I have already done a full wipe of Windows as I had upgraded my motherboard so I just started fresh on everything to see if it was something software related from a bad install of drivers or something else and the issue still happens.

Here is a quick example of it happening.
    https://i.gyazo.com/0fa468f33c635b4815d9169a5c51a792.mp4

(When I'm able to test more I'll see if the issue still happens, I work a lot during this time of year so I've only had small play sessions and it's happened but there has been many driver and game updates since I've last played).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I think it's HDD/SSD related. No reason at all for those games to read your drive that much. HDD failure can cause hard stutters like that.

KyleStilkey likes this.
  3. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    It's not a HDD failure, happening on two seperate systems across SSD and or HDD. Just completely random when it does. All drives were tested as recently as well and fully functional.

Also depending on what is going on it does read a lot of Data. It's normal.

EDIT: So I did more testing so it seems like we are both correct here, I've not tested out Call of Duty yet but I was doing some speed tests on my drives and they were all extremely low speeds and it made no sense. After a long trial of testing after I pulled out one of my really old 1TB HDD's from the SATA power cables all the drives speeds were up. This is why no errors or anything was going on as they were working just fine. So I plugged in a new WD Blue drive in the same place and all drives were at full speeds still, went back to the old drive and back to like 1/3 to half speeds.

I've not ever experienced this before and may be why we're having issues but wanted to at least update this thread in case this is to be an error of anyone else and will respond back if my experience with the game changes.

So I will thank you for at least keeping me on the right track because like I said, I did lots of drive testing for errors and fragmentation and so on without a single issue to realize I didn't even speed test the drives and by low speeds I mean, like 40-60 Mb/s read and writes. Now I'm 150-200Mb/s. Thanks again and I will also see if this is the cause on my friends system as well as he too has a few older drives in his system so that's what led me to thinking it might be a AMD Driver bug but I guess it may not be. Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Pyrage likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've noticed this on Nvidia too, I think its a game issue, I was using W7 though, so can rule out the standby list issue.

5. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I have seen system wide issues like this in the past, someone once told me that a faulty or failing drive will cause the whole system to experience errors as the controller tries to maintain the speed on the slower drive and allocates more resources to it, my experience was similar but only on boot up at all other times it was pretty normal, boot increased from its normal 30 seconds in Win7 to over 2 to 4 minutes randomly, drove me mad for a few Months then I started unplugging things one by one and it was the HD a WD one that was failing yet nothing showed in SMART or the tests other than an occasional slow seek, funnily enough a few Months later the same with a Hitachi Drive, I have used mostly SSDs since and now have just 2 HDDs in place in raid mirror for large storage, having said that I do still have a Hitachi drive from 2004 a 250gb one thats still working in my Media PC nothing important is on it though as I expect a failure at some point

6. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Yeah for sure, if the issue still happens I'll report back for sure but so far it's been good.

7. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    NP man. I've been there with an old 500gb Seagate drive. Same exact thing happened, old drive decided to become slow and shitty and all games would give me HARD stutters for no reason, like screen freezing for 0.5 secs every 30 secs or so. Got rid of it and the stutters were gone, which surprised me because the drive was 100% error free, only a bit slower than normal.

8. sathyrion

sathyrion Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 TUF
    Had the same issue with stuttering.
    Tested on both my m2 SSD and 2xSSD in raid0. No difference in stutter. Same thing every 5-10 sec it freeze for .5 - 1 sec.
    Got a refound from Blizzard.

Ran CrystalDiskMark on all my drives:
    m2 : 3000MB/s read / 2900MB/s+ write
    2x512GB SSD raid0: 1000MB/s read / 900MB/s write

9. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Just wanted to update the Hard Drive issues, the drives are 100% fine and speeds are fine. Found out that Thermale Take released a update for their fan/rgb controllers that has a bug that pings you hard drives every 2 seconds. This may possibly be related to my issue, but will have further testing to do as I was still getting issues.

10. Sovsefanden

Sovsefanden Guest

GPU:
    Always avoid software like that - TONS of those applications cause dips in performance, or stutter, or even BSOD

NZXT CAM eats like 5% resources on average or example, sometimes 2%, can spike to 10% CPU usage + memory

11. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    It's just a software bug, not a good suggestion to give if required to use.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    rgb is not required, thus the software isn't either.

13. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    It controls more than just RGB, so please don't give suggestions on software that's used to operate components of your hardware. The point of this thread is to help with this issue and not to just give terrible advice on saying that software like this is bad and giving advice on something that is a simple software bug which is simply easy to fix for the time being.

Let's keep this on topic please and stop trying to derail the issue. Thank you.

Ghosty likes this.
  14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    But it is topic related. Crappy software causing fps drops, freezes, and unnatural behaviour. Solution is uninstall. PERIOD.

Had similar probs with iCUE, Corsair mouse/pumps/keyboards/whatever RGBcrap hardware. Paid for stuff, but it was constantly eating CPU power. Worse case was fps dip every fkn 2 secs. Some versions vere better, some worse. I end up with disconnecting RGB strip, setting keyboard profile in its memory(RGB behaviour) and uninstall. Simple as that. Other vendors software as I reckon behaves similar. So...
    And about HDD, had opportunity to see it in person, when I tried to build some fellow PC, he used his not very old but dying anyway HDD (SSD was new, as system drive) and this thing made system booting like 5 minutes.
    Opening something, copying his all old data was damn long and tedious...
    On fresh w10 installation, ryzen 3700x, 3200c14 ddr4 16gb...

15. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Have NZXT cam run at startup to shut off the pump RGB and set the pump mode and then just close it afterwards.

16. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    It's not related as now every post is now about software and unrelated to issues with Warzone. If you want to talk about bad software related issues feel free to DM if not let's try and talk about Warzone related problems as the software is not related to the issue going on.

17. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I never use any RGB stuff. It really seems that they often cause all sorts of issues such as stuttering.

18. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Please keep this on topic. DM me if you want to talk about RGB and issues.

19. Sovsefanden

Sovsefanden Guest

GPU:
    The worst about RGB is that 99% of the time it needs to have software running to keep it OFF. Eating ressources.

20. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Again this is not anything related this. Please keep it on topic so we can help users find the best solution. Want to talk about RGB and other unrelated topic stuff, you can DM me. Thanks.