Power went out for 1 hour at a Micron memory factory will DRAM prices go up?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    All I know is that when I worked at the Nissan plant here in Tennessee, if the lines went down for 15 mins, Nissan would lose 100k during that time.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No idea. But it's got little to do with unsuitable quality of diesel generator electricity.
    Power correcting and filtering systems are necessary requirement for any kind of large factory. Let alone semi.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not sure how much power it takes to run one of these facilities, but I imagine it should be possible to use a diesel backup generator. I once saw the mainframe of a major regional insurance company and it was astonishing to me to see the backup power solutions they had. Not only did they have this massive underground tank of diesel, but there was also this room packed full of thousands of lead acid batteries as a secondary backup. This mainframe was large enough that it would take about 1 full minute to walk from one side to the other at a brisk pace, and these servers were major power hogs. Seeing as this wasn't the company's HQ or largest facility, if they took this much precaution to generate backup power for a single building, I find it a little suspicious how Micron wouldn't have backup power to at least keep some of the more sensitive equipment going. As pointed out earlier in this thread, those wafers are valuable. Micron really ought to protect them wherever possible.

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Having worked on some large scale construction jobs that required electricity 24/7 they all were built with at least a two phase backup system.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its not only the constant, uninterruptible power thats needed, but the quality of that power (harmonics) must be very precise and consistent where even a fraction of a Hz frequency can throw things off in delicate jobs of this nature.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's a rare talent these days, hats off to you sir.

MonstroMart likes this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I have bruises and blisters on my tongue. But thank you fellow guru!

AsiJu likes this.
  10. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    They have magic switch to print money, its handy for Christmas bonuses.. and they have insurance for sure.

angelgraves13 likes this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    A large modern fab plant uses over 150MWh of power per day. That's 1/6 the output of a typical coal power plant.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    TheDeeGee and HandR like this.
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Hah... well... in that case, I guess it's a bit understandable why backup power for the whole facility can't be done. Still, I think they should have some backup power for the most critical machines.

13. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I think I'm going to lean on the fact that when this occurs to high precision tech factories prices are usually effected. Conspiracies arise from a veil of ignorance (not stupidity... usually). I know little of the power consumption and how massive fabrication plants are effected by these outages. However, the information is out there to get an idea. Typically the truth is far less exciting than conspiracies so prepare for disappointment. After these plants go down just because the power comes back on doesn't mean the machines just start operating at 100% again.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Pretty sure they do. But regardless of the backup power on hand, I would think a critical step is to ensure that it switches over with zero change or fluctuation in flow and quality of power, as even a fraction of a second can cause massive issues or ruin wafers being processed. I guess thats partly why Fabs cost billions to design and construct.

15. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    A generator wouldn't work in that situation. They would pretty much need their own powerplant to provide the amount of power something like that kind of factory uses. The backup generators will pretty much just keep the lights on.