Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Nov 30, 2020.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    First of all it is really hard to read your posts... but let's leave it and focus on what might help narrow it down....
    Some suggestions>
    --Check in windows power settings/energy options --- default behavior when shutting down
    --install newest chipset drivers (first uninstall the old ones)
    --Please check the ACPI settings in BIOS (especially if set to S5),
    --maybe check if there is a new BIOS for your mainboard, revert back to defaults then tune it from hand
    --turn off legacy usb support if available

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's also the PCI driver but I don't think that's part of the driver anymore it's...I'm not really sure actually as it doesn't correspond to the Chipset PCI driver and version.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...bus-driver-requires-manually-updating.373501/

And some prior version of that had shut-down issues.
    (A link to version 20.50 is further down in that topic.)

EDIT: Ah it's part of what Radeon Settings and the drivers install.
    C:\Windows\System32\AMD\amdkmpfd

So that stuff or the Program Files AMD folder I believe is where it ends up if you've chosen the non-DCH install route.

Though if that installed fine it should already be 20.50

amdkmpfd.ctz
    amdkmpfd.itz
    amdkmpfd.stz

Although if that's the problem using these from 20.11.1 could resolve it. :)

From the .itz in a text editor.
    DriverVer=11/06/2020, 20.50.0.0000
    AMDKMPFD_svcdesc = "AMD PCI Root Bus Lower Filter"

And then AMD can fix it and replicate it at some point if they can get a similar system and confirm the issue.

CTZ = Cat
    ITZ = INF
    STZ = Sys

Basically just renamed driver files, install file, system driver file and the security catalog file.

Should be entirely possible to manually add 20.11.1's version if that works and replace the driver if this is where the problem lies. :)

Copy the three files to some place from the 20.11.1 driver or it's installed files, rename them to .cat .inf and .sys instead and point the device manager to these files as the source to use and manually select to install the older version over the existing PCI filter driver and restart.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  3. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    Disable the deep sleep s4,s5 from bios.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting. :)
    Would think disabling fast startup in the OS would affect some of these sleep states when doing a shut-down optionally also disabling hibernation which if that's set far as I know disables the fast start setting entirely. :)
    (Well bypass them rather as the system is shut down it's never put in a sleep state in the first place if these are disabled.)

Guess toggling the various sleep states in the bios is one way to do it too then.
    (EDIT: Well that's not the best wording it toggles different things after all if that works and the OS option does not.)

5. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
  6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    OK, let me say it another way - these drivers are for GAMING.
    If you need proper productivity support, at least try the PRO drivers.
    Simple as that.

7. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I have an RX580, not an Enterprise grade card. I've never had to use PRO drivers before, regular stuff always works just fine. It just happen to be not working with the current set of drivers.

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    This driver's good for Serious Sam 4 and Strange Brigade thus far, but for Metro Exodus. Sam's Story with RT enabled an Ultra setting, I've experienced a couple of hard freezes, had to resort to hitting the 'Reset' button to restart Windows.

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Ok, let me try this again... https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-20-q4.435132/

Adrenalin - GAMING focused
    PRO/Enterprise - PRODUCTIVITY focused

Use what you want...

10. Krevar

Krevar Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Strix
    Hi, For me this driver has same problem as 20.11.2 in AC:Valhalla: crash and sometimes lock the system after 1mn, in benchmark or ingame. Like with 20.11.2, tried to reinstall several times with or without DDU, cleaned shader cache...Nothing seems to fix it. I use stock clocks for GPU for testing. (Vega 64 Strix + 4770k)
    No problems and everything smooth and stable once i go back to 20.11.1...
    Please Vanguard Guys pass the message to AMD, I saw another vega user with same problem (https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/r...20-edition-20-11-3.435450/page-2#post-5860977)
    Once again no problems with 20.11.1 so fortunately i can play my game but quite frustrating not being able to update drivers!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    HD64G likes this.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    This driver with latest version of current windows 10 release, gives me outstanding smoothness, I can't explain this more thoroughly, but it's really good.

12. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I've been trying to put a list together of what these all do here: https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/wiki/System-Services-and-Drivers

JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Looks like someone found the high CPU usage problem I am describing here in all the driver threads over and over again since 20.10.1 >

https://www.techpowerup.com/274967/...ill-eat-one-cpu-core-when-no-radeon-installed

I got curious and wondered how it is possible in the first place that an utility software like the Radeon Settings control panel uses 100% CPU load constantly—something that might happen when a mining virus gets installed, to use your electricity to mine cryptocurrency, without you knowing. By the way, all this was verified to be happening on Radeon 20.11.2 WHQL driver, 20.11.3 Beta and the press driver for an upcoming Radeon review.

Unless you're a computer geek you'll probably want to skip over the following paragraphs, I still found the details interesting enough to share with you.

I attached my debugger, looked for the thread that's causing all the CPU load and found this:
    [​IMG]
    Hard to read, translated it into C code it might make more sense:
    [​IMG]
    If you're a programmer you'd have /facepalm'd by now, let me explain. In a multi-threaded program, Events are often used to synchronize concurrently running threads. Events are a core feature of the Windows operating system, once created, they can be set to "signaled", which will notify every other piece of code that is watching the status of this event—instantly and even across process boundaries. In this case the Radeon Settings program will wait for an event called "DVRReadyEvent" to get created, before it continues with initialization. This event gets created by a separate, independent, driver component, that's supposed to get loaded on startup, too, but apparently never does. The Task Scheduler entries in the screenshot above do show "StartDVR". The naming suggests it's related to the ReLive recording feature that lets you capture and stream gameplay. I guess that part of the driver does indeed check if Radeon hardware is present, and will not start otherwise. Since Windows has no WaitForEventToGetCreated() function, the usual approach is to try to open the event until it can be opened, at which point you know that it does exist.

You're probably asking now, "what if the event never gets created?" Exactly, your program will be hung, forever, caught in an infinite loop. The correct way to implement this code is to either set a time limit for how long the loop should run, or count the number of runs and give up after 100, 1000, 1 million, you pick a number—but it's important to set a reasonable limit.

A more subtle effect of this kind of busy waiting is that it will run as fast as the processor can, loading one core to 100%. While that might be desirable if you have to be able to react VERY quickly to something, there's no reason to do that here. The typical approach is to add a short bit of delay inside the loop, which tells the operating system and processor "hey, I'm waiting on something and don't need CPU time, you may run another application now or reduce power". Modern processors will adjust their frequency when lightly loaded, and even power down cores completely, to conserve energy and reduce heat output. Even a delay of one millisecond will make a huge difference here.

This is especially important during system startup, where a lot of things are happening at the same time, that need processor time to complete—it's why you feel you're waiting forever for your desktop to become usable when you start the computer. With Radeon Settings taking over one core completely, there's obviously less performance left for other startup programs to complete.

I did some quick and dirty performance testing in actual gameplay on a 8-core/16-thread CPU and found a small FPS loss, especially in CPU limited scenarios, around 1%, in the order of 150 FPS vs 151 FPS. This confirms that this can be an issue on modern systems, too, even though just 5% of CPU power is lost (one core out of 16). The differences will be minimal though, and it's unlikely you'll subjectively notice the difference.

Waiting on synchronization signals is very basic programming skills, most midterm students would be able to implement it correctly. That's why I'm so surprised to see such low quality code in a graphics driver component that get installed on hundreds of millions of computers. Modern software development techniques avoid these mistakes by code reviews—one or multiple colleagues read your source code and point out potential issues. There's also "unit testing", which requires developers to write testing code that's separate from the main code. These unit tests can then be executed automatically to measure "code coverage"—how many percent of the program code are verified to be correct through the use of unit tests. Let's just hope AMD fixes this bug, it should be trivial.

In my case if I don't kill it it uses 2.5 - 3 % in the task manager which roughly translates to one core out of 24 on a 3960X...
    Hope this FINALLY helps to squash this bug.

14. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    THANKS BUT ALL DONE AS I SAID IT WILL WORK FINE WITH 20.11.1 ANY DRIVER Above this it will do as i said

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Your symptom of Shut Down not completing is indicative of some process not shutting down. I'm on 20.11.3, and was on .2 and I don't have any problem whatsoever of the system doing a full shutdown. So your problem is a software one, and not the driver itself.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Jackalito and OnnA like this.
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    @Astyanax Hi mate, we got some reports about it, but keep the bug reports coming :)

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Cyberpunk week coming up (so a new driver!).

And still no leaks about the Anniversary..:cool:

19. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    so even with clean install off windows 10 it still will do a shut down but fans and m/b led,s still on using 20.11.2 -20.11.3 ,but if i use 20.11.1 it works fine so what software would cause that ?

20. UkOldGit

UkOldGit Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    If nothing on your PC has changed and works ok with 20.11.1 but not 20.11.2/3 then logic would say that something in the GPU driver has changed and as usual all you can do is wait it out and going by the speed they managed to get their drivers to work properly on the rx 5700 I wouldn't hold your breath.