Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Grimbarian, Apr 29, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Huh so that's possible in this game, knew about it in Origins but until I had to use it once during a mission it was like I can do that??

Well goodbye the game always starting up in night time for some reason then. :D
    Though I think in Odyssey it was a day/night switch whereas in Origins while it took Bayek a while to raise his arse from the ground it went a wee bit faster than half a day unlike Alexios/Kassandra.

Wonder how fast Eivor can get moving once time starts spinning while I don't know, thinking about axes or something.

2. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I did skew it towards favoring daytime. Night does have very good areas especially lighted windows.

Passus likes this.
  3. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    It's also easier to see little spots of light with the raven flying at night.

If there's a key out of viewing range the key icon does not appear, but just a white shiny spot in the distance. Very hard to see at daytime.

Passus likes this.
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I'm a bit lost and confused, so I'm still in the first part of the world, I'm power 21, only mission/quest I have is birthright to go to Alrekstad which it says I need to be power 180 for, there's nothing on my map for me to go do, I've explored everywhere in the first area AFAIK and all I'm missing is 4 mysteries which I can't seem to find...

ACValhalla 2020-12-04 09-42-49.jpg ACValhalla 2020-12-04 09-43-15.jpg ACValhalla 2020-12-04 09-43-30.jpg

Edit: Doh I was being dumb, the mission is to go there to chat not go there to kill everyone!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020

5. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    You need to go to your big hall and pledge to a region. Speak with that sexy redhead next to the table.

Grimbarian likes this.
  6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks, yeah I was just coming back to edit that I was being dumb, it's 280 to raid, but they're friendly I don't need to raid I just need to go chat to someone! Not sure if having all the hud garbage turned off left me a little confused, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it ;)

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    In the Norway region a bit before that though I just longboated over there avoiding the famous Nordic polar bears along the way, it's not populated enough to where you'll frequently run into bandits so reaching the area via horse or boat is fairly viable though the map can make it hard to see landmarks and specific hideouts that could have bandits.

EDIT: Or more like I hate the fixed icon reveal distances I want the map all zoomed out but the better detail is mid or all zoomed in and once again a bunch of community screenshots also spread around it. :p

EDIT: It's also less fight and more plot stuff so the power level isn't too important long as you don't annoy the guards.

"This dude is king." basically.
    [​IMG]

Then it's back to the more regular appropriate regions once you've been told that essential fact and some bits you've probably picked up but the game kinda has to show anyway. :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Grimbarian likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As you arent fighting any enemies in alrekstad, you just need to ride there and do the quest... then you can go to england after that.

That aint till he gets to england though.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Clearly aint garbage if it helps you navigating the game.

10. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I know what he means though. Ubisoft are masters of clogging the HUD with all kinds of stuff. And if they give you the option to switch it off they should care about how the game can remind you about what to do once you're lost due to invisible symbols.

It's something RDR2 did very well with the temporary HUD stuff only appearing when needed or unfinished.

coc and Grimbarian like this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree it can be a bit much with the quest text on the left side, like on the first screenshot here - if they could reduce it to just the quest name (like on the 2nd screenshot), it would be fine, and then you could go to quests to actually read the entire quest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    It is garbage, I don't need to see the hit numbers when I fight an enemy, I don't need to see my arrow count, I don't need to see my health bar outside of combat, I don't need to see which enemy I'm locked on to, I don't need to see enemies glow because I saw them, I don't need to see I have 2 skill points to assign, I don't need a constant reminder of the current quest list, I don't need any of about a dozen ridiculous things that are displayed in the game by default.

I knew exactly where I needed to go, the problem was simply that where I needed to go was telling me I needed a power of 280 for that region which was a little confusing at the time.

ShadowDuke likes this.
  13. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    yeah, the third Witcher is also a good example. people had the option to make the screen very clean with a few minor tweaks in the menu without breaking the experience. games of this Era should give
    you the option to tweak those stuff. sometimes external mods solve it, but AC is a ridiculous example.. lets be honest here - Ubisoft are doing a solid job with selling those games yet some stuff are handled in a very amateur way. Valhalla is number 8 ? 9 ? i stopped counting long time ago, and they never bothered fixing some old repetitive crap. sorry for that c-word.. it is what it is.

Passus and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I like all the things you mention you dont want xD

15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Odyssey has the option to not show your health/adrenaline bars outside of combat, they don't have that in Valhalla which to me is nonsensical.

coc likes this.

16. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I have no problem at all with people liking those HUD "features" and using them, I have a problem with them being forced on me!

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Make that mistake often?

:D

18. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    LOL no but I did try going there and starting a fight with a random guy walking around, didn't end well for me ;) That's why I left and tried to figure out how to raise my power from 21 to 280 which did seem a bit extreme to do the next mission! ;)

19. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

In Valhalla I found the UI scale slider in interface tab works best when cranked to the absolute max even if the side arrows on the ui calibration clip a little offscreen (this is on a 16:9 display, native res, with fullscreen scaling). Not seeing anything on the UI clip just yet (keyword yet...) but it makes the UI feel a lot better in this game. I try and play with UI resizing even if it sounds banal, and even on standard apsect ratios, can make a world of difference in how strangling the UI feels. And really you can turn a lot of the nonsense off...

Been noticing though that these devs almost certainly color grade in batcaves (rightfully so...) so if your sitting at a calibrated 2.4 gamma you may want to bump a few settings to account for QA telling them its too dark.

Also was wondering whether or not you eventually get an option to customize appearance without changing armor? I'm only at that part where the idkay cant get married because the othersbray dont accept him.

20. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Nice I'll try that! Performance overall is good, because i'm limited to a 1080p @60fps monitor I was able to run with everything maxxed out to ultra/vhigh as applicable, and then resolution scaling to 130%, which was a solid 60fps and looked decent, but then I upscaled in AMD to 1440p and it looks a huge amount better, resolution scaling had to go back to 100% and I had to drop shadows from their max setting to high and it's a solid 60fps again.

The only real bugbear right now is how stupidly easy the game is, I'm on the most difficult setting but can easily do the raids in England solo (if it wasn't for the fact I can't open a raid chest on my own), I don't get why it's so easy? Previous AC's weren't so easy on the max difficulty.