The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Finally, after 2 and a half months of waiting for delivery, I got the AOC CU34G2X. One of the first things I did was to check the memory clock speed. It was running at full speed. But easy fix. I just changed the vertical blanking from the default 50 lines it comes with, to 103 lines of the LCD standard.

[​IMG]

2. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    What FOV do you use in games?

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The bump up last week from:
    2560x1080 (2.8MP)
    to
    3440x1440 (5.0MP)
    ...has annihilated my frame-rates.

I was hoping to wait until end of summer or fall to update my GTX1070, but I decided I needed (wanted) a stopgap. I just ordered a 5700 XT. ( XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III ) It seems to be 35-50% better than my 1070 in any given benchmark (at 4k). That'll do for the rest of the year.

Undying likes this.
  4. World of petrolhead

World of petrolhead Guest

GPU:
    Gygabyte RTX 2060 O

5. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Yeah I did the same upgrade about 2 1/2 years ago and watched my fps tank pretty hard, and I was on a AMD Fury...the upgrade to a 1080ti made all the difference for sure. Its still holding up extremely well. I think you will find the 5700 XT will hold you over just fine until the RTX3xxx or AMD equivalent drop later this year.
    What monitor did you go with?

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    This one:
    LG 34GK950F (review)

It's a good monitor, a little spendy, but the colors are simply glorious and it met all the gaming specs I wanted.

The 5700 XT has been a pretty solid upgrade. It did make everything playable again. I knew this FPS reduction "pain" was coming and that the only real fix was to throw wheelbarrows of money at it. I threw like a small bucket of money towards it for now. I need (want) a whole new rig (4790K now). End of year is the plan. At least it's good enough for now.

7. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    I just got one of these last week, the HDR (400) is a non event really, I don't' bother with it, but its a nice monitor. Not a huge upgrade over my old Asus Rog PG27Q and I almost feel that the response time of the LG is just a tad slower then the my old monitor. I notice enabling MBR disables freesync and as a result the G-Sync compatibility.. not sure if this is suppose to be the case?

8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Yes. Either MBR or Freesync.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Did a GPU swap, hooked up my Acer XR341CK to my Gigabyte VEGA64 and running 75Hz Freesync. The GTX1080 has gone into my HTPC rig (i7 4770K, GB Z97 mobo) as the GB VEGA64 doesn't seem to like that mobo. I get intermittent static flashes whenever I start the computer, it may flash a few times initially and eventually goes away, had me tossing around in bed till I'd made the swap. I was concerned that the flashing might damage my refurbed GB Z97 mobo which I'd recently gotten to replace my dead Z87 mobo.

I was surprised that I could still play games at 4k with the GTX1080 on my 4K TV, I'd just have to be realistic about my ingame setting. Serious Sam BFE, and its expansion, runs wonderfully at 4K. Don't wanna jinx myself, but that GB VEGA64 has no issue with my X79 Rampage Extreme....no flashes whatsoever. Honestly, this is the first time I've come across a mobo that doesn't seem to get along with a GPU and it has me stumped, regardless, my three systems are running just fine so I can sleep well now.;)

10. noGuruATall

noGuruATall Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580 3GB
    So which wide monitor 34-38 has good HDR and good picture quality with refresh rate 120 or more, and i less than 1000 USD?

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    There isn't going by 'good HDR'. I would guess the minimum acceptable would be HDR600.

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    My Samsung 32:9 49" 3840x1080 monitor does HDR600, and it's passable at best.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    perfect monitor is trial and error.
    what is perfect for one is not for the other.
    for me this gigabyte one is not even remotely interesting but you may like it.
    I had 3 monitors before I nailed it for myself.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It would be nice getting a odyssey g9 and be done with but sadly 400-500$ is the best i can do.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    look for a used deal maybe ? or wait...
    the monitor is the most important part of any system.I'd regret cutting corners.

my current monitor setup cost me 6x as much as my gpu and I'd never trade them for a faster component.

Undying likes this.
  17. tmbt

tmbt Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5770 1GB
    Hi guys,
    i'm a new owner of an LG UltraWide monitor but i'm facing a problem and i would like to know if what i'm trying to achive is possible or not.
    I've bought this monitor because i had a 40% discount on Amazon and the idea was to replace my two monitor setup i had. I mostly play Dayz and i need a second monitor to check a map on a browser so my idea with this UltraWide monitor is to run the game in borderless 1080p window and use the rest of the pixel to have a browser opened on the same display.
    I tried but seems like Dayz can only be run on the same resolution of the monitor so is not possible to run it in a smaller 1080p window.
    Is there an universal way to achive this ?

Thanks
    Mattia

18. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Got it 3 weeks ago and returned it week later.
    It had awful backlight bleed and heavy flickering when freesync was enabled. It also shows black/gray vertical bars in Netflix and was keep resetting in 5seconds interval when on 8bit 100Hz.
    Got MSI MAG341CQ as temporary replacement before LG monitors go back in stock for around half price with cashback. (minimal backlight bleed but suffer with flickering but that's ok for me as it goes to wife afterward with free sync off)
    For myself getting LG 38GN950-B for around $1200, hopefully before Christmas. Or LG 34GN850 if 38" get big delay.

Undying likes this.
  19. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Try to change config:
    Windowed=1;
    WindowedMode=3;

20. tmbt

tmbt Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5770 1GB
    Thanks! It worked in conjuction with the Borderless gaming app!

Mattia