Windows 10 odd issue, literally all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Smough, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I have no idea what happened, but I need some help. In general, my Windows 10 is working fine, but something bugs me and this happened without me doing anything to my O.S. No tweaking, no new programs installed (apart from downloading RDR2, which does not make sense a game can compromise Windows and I updated my GPU driver, clean install with DDU then decided to reinstall it and it changed nothing), I literally have not done anything for this to happen.

Now for my problems: Cursor animations don't work; the loading wheel from the cursor is frozen or seems to move at low framerate, when I use Search on the start menu, then right click, the context menu flickers and disappears, which is annoying and was working fine literally a few hours ago. So to make it more specific: Right click does not work on Windows Start Menu Search and my cursors animations are scuffed. I tried sfc /scannow and it reported some corrupted files and said it fixed them, but it didn't fix this issue.

I
    need some ideas, I want to keep full reinstall as a last resource.

Here is a video of my problem (sorry about the language, but I think what matters is the strange Windows behavior):

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sound like something wierd that would happen for no reason, most time I would chalk something like up as Windows likes to mess with me and do wierd thing, cause it trigger me ocd.

You said you updated your gpu drivers? could be driver issue have seein many instance where drivers have issue with mouse cursor, I mean there is that long stand bug where cursor just random goes corrupt upon hovering over link, it was supposedly "Fixed" many drivers ago according to nvidia. but I still see the cursor get corrupt for second when hovering over link from time to time, and I been seeing that for well over decade. I even at one point caught video capture of that happen. try going back to previous drivers?

I would not reisntall over this unless it turn into some issue there things are breaking.

At this point in time I not shocked by thing the just seem to go wrong and break by windows 10 to many thing are integrated in to it in such way something that SHOULD NOT effect something and or break it actual does. I am still in awe of how disabling msCTFMonitor ( CTFLoader.exe) task in sheduling breaks startmenu "search" and breaks typing in anything metro when also disabling Touch keyboard and handwriting panel service . I literately been disabling that task and that service since win7 all the way threw windows 10 upto 1909 build but as of 20h2 build disabling that task breaks search in startmenu if the service it disable too. which took me month or 2 to figure out cause never though it would be cause of startmenu search issue I had in 20h2

The service is for touch screen stuff and task is and as far as I am aware never had anything to do with touch screen stuff. that task been around longer then there has been touch screen stuff in in windows. it has something to do with MS office last i checked? then at some point it got integrated in to windows, and not now some how breaks search if touch keyboard service is disable

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Passus and Smough like this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, it really sucks and it's annoying. I unistalled the nvidia driver and booted Windows without it and it had the same behavior, so I don't know what else could it be. I uploaded a video that shows my problem in a better way.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Seem like another issue with metro ui. I find alot thing involving it tend to break easy and for no rime or reason and I have had that happen before it fixed it self at some point it one those random thing I atribute to metro ui being trash, which another why i dont use metro UI to change settings changes most are still done threw CP which I have linked to startmenu. I dont like the metro ui in anyway, I do like the startmenu atlest when it works. in 1909 if I was trying to right click and paste in metro ui it was instant. but as 20h2 if I try to right click and "paste" the window that pops up to click paste is delayed it has the same delay in firefox when I try to do that. but in 1909 it was instant in both cases. Windows 10 is just temperamental and easily broke, it why I only do window "build" update/upgrade every year and half now, forget about the fact I actual take note of what CU get installed now and delay them cause even those are getting in on the act of breaking things.

Before a apple phone was forced upon me cause I refused to by new phone even when my old phone broke, I kept hear people say update on Apple phone updates are terrible and break thing. I didnt believe them and to this day I still dont believe them cause let my iphone and ipad update the moment there is update, and I perfer how apple does these updates over how MS does them cause compared to how MS is doing and how offten things break Apple is great. I Actual think better this closed off the way it if we cant messes with OS it less likely to break., which really good for majority of people cause alot people that have pc and windows should not be messing with windows or it services or on how it the OS let alone actual have a PC. Obvious most poeple around these forums should know there way around OS at this point and the exception but majority public dont fall into that category

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Can you believe it fixed on its own? Windows man, this O.S is really nuts.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    believe it fixed it on it own ? no believe it sorta it self out for time being yes

Smough likes this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    may be there was a pending windows update during the problem

8. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    seems that you disabled some services related with start menu components..:rolleyes: i dont remember how many times i said dont disable those damn services until now..:p disabling those damn services will give you nothing but trouble..

check the ones start menu and related services whether they are disabled or not;

Cryptographic Services
    Diagnostic Policy Service
    Program Compatibility Assistant Service
    Radio Management Service
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Windows Push Notifications System Service
    WpnUserService

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Fixed on its own and no, I didn't disable anything. I did nothing, everything went back to normal after I played a game, so it just looks like another Windows glitch.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said i had it happen before for no rime or reason and then fixed it self, only time I mess with services is upon reinstall of windows, and this happen long after an installed and in the time frame between windows monthly updates so i had no updates,

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020