Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Where is you questioning article itself? I guess, it is fitting narrative, so no questions.
    I have seen AMD's presentation videos of those games.

I say, this is exactly how DX-R should be used, not some cheap ass forced reflections.
    - - - -
    And PhysX was next gen before nVidia bought it. Everything after was tragedy. Gameworks next-gen? Maybe look for way even nVidia users nicknamed it.

Truder, beedoo and Valken like this.
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Fox2232

and of all the games you chose that one (face palm). This is why I can't take it seriously, sorry.

3. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    to be fair, no one cared for Radeon cards because they had either one of these or all 3 together: worse performance, abysmal drivers, worse picture quality.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I used one game which does not smear needless reflections all over your face. Game where every single pixel of screen is subject to DX-R AO/GI/shadows.
    And visual difference is very good.

Not like WoW. But let's be honest, WoW does not have much to process via DX-R in 1st place.

And question is: Why would I not bring game that shows good difference. When you was happily eating article which states that AMD sponsored games barely make visual difference.
    And other question: Taking uncritically article from WTFTech?

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This is a really disgusting trend by manufacturers, to optimize at the expense of the competition (often performing badly themselves too). Sadly doesnt need to happen that way. Some of the best looking games also perform very well, ie, Doom E. Thats what game devs should try to look at instead of being sucked into the selfish whims of GPU makers who do more harm than good, just to make peoples existing HW obsolete so they can buy new gear to keep up with ever increasing performance demands. Yes Nvidia started it and screw them for that.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, people were patting nVidia on their back for very long time. And at same time, console guys were like: "AMD is bound to get optimizations as their GPUs are in consoles."
    But GCN still had troubles with getting proper optimizations.

Now, AMD has architecture which can fly quite well when game is optimized for it. And that architecture happen to be in consoles which everyone wants.
    1st game which gets proper AMD optimizations, and all those people happy in the past are now going through their sheds and looking for pitchforks.

And when talking planned obsolescence. nVidia is master of that too. It is that people naively forget.
    nVidia boosts something in new architecture, new sponsored games use excessive amount of it. Next generation boosts something else, old feature is used moderately and new one is overused.
    Always like that. Gave them market dominance. And enabled them to keep it. Maybe times will change, maybe not.

But going with big bully and cheering (and encouraging) him as he slaps people around. And then crowd crying when someone actually slaps them for being big part of problem...
    - - - -
    As you wrote, it can sux for everyone. But being vocal only when it affects you directly?

7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    BS. I've got quite a few games from the Dirt series and AMD have sponsored them. Never had a problem. Except Dirt 5, which is so friggin blatant it's not even funny anymore, but, you can't see the problem, where as others have already questioned it.

8. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    nV always tried to push graphics because they sell GPUs. some of those technologies were crap, others did bring advancements. PhysX and Hairworks practically no one used anyhow. On the other hand they release drivers with optimizations for their older cards. And the 600 series is still included in the newest drivers.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Doesnt affect me much, I couldnt care less tbh. If I see a game thats messed up due to such practices, very easy for me not to buy it. I could live without new games for years and not be bothered. Doesnt mean I cant see whats going on and have strong opinions about it. I knew Nvidia were slimeballs from their gimpworks long ago, just didnt occur to me the implications of this disgusting practice would be far reaching. Now I see it happening with AMD, that leaves no one left who cares to work with game devs ethically. Again, no big deal for me, but it is a big deal for the state of the gaming industry and for gamers who care. :)

10. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    As I said in the Ryzen 5000 series thread, team red fans will trash them just as quickly as they championed them in time. This trend started around 3yrs ago, I started noticing it around the time Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was released (or around that period in time).

However, it's a business and these businesses will do anything to get an edge. Today, I see AMD has a very healthy list of featured games, while Nvidia's is looking much more sparse. The tide is turning, but, it looks like red is the new green. Well, we asked for competition and this is the price of it.

alanm likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Would it be nVidia running better. You would answer: "Pushing the envelope. It is Next-gen."

Reality is that games are heavier over time. You had no problem with Diablo 1/2/3, but there is no guarantee that you'll have good fps from Diablo 4.
    Past experiences in game iterations can't be used for projections for future performance.
    Look at Cyberpunk. Well, that would be totally fine as nVidia would not perform worse than AMD. No way it can be other way around.
    = = = =
    Since 6800(XT) review came along, I am really enjoying it here. Not because unhappiness of others makes me happy.
    But because people are like:
    - Are those cards really viable? Maybe I can get one.
    - No, those cards are trash as every card in the past from AMD.
    - This is not how I want it to be.

I enjoy the irony of situation. Some people finally have tiny glimpse of mirror and get frustrated. But it is good thing. People gave up on their values as situation did not burn them.
    Next time, nVidia burns AMD's community with their Gamewrecks, maybe, just maybe some will say no. And will not buy that game full of nVidia's trash code.
    And maybe they will even say why. And then we have chance that game developers will listen.

Hypocrisy of some people here is lovely. Everything can be explained through technology. And often very easily. Like reason behind RDNA2 being great on 1080p, but falling behind on 4K.
    But when kids want to have Black Power Ranger and get Yellow instead...

I really expect there to be demonstration in front of AMD's HQ. Named: "Green Cards Matter."
    And by some coincidence, there will huge stock of bricks waiting. Like if that flawless sidewalk needed repairs.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @Fox2232 that game is currently not my play style but the RT was phenomenal. If we were on ground level FPS with the same quality, it would still be AMAZEBALLS. Even Crysis Remastered does not have that nor does Watch Dogs Legion, yet.

I cannot wait for the developer to catch up and in some ways GLAD there is not stock of 6800, 6800XT or 3080s in my area. I'm just going to put shopping on hold (cannot buy it) including new Ryzen 5000 CPU and wait for a game to upgrade to.

Hopefully when Cyberpunk comes out supplies will be better.

AlmondMan and Fox2232 like this.
  13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I pluged my 6800 with HDMI cable to my old Eizo FS2331 , but colors are total mess , washed out , bright , any idea why that is ?
    Before it was pluged to 1060 with DVI Cable , zero problems.

What a disaster :(

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Pretty sure its nothing, just a setting needs to be enabled or something. In driver panel is there setting for RGB full?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can be few things. Most common is that people using nVidia's card are used to so called "digital vibrance". I hope nVidia sent that to hell already. But it is quite possible that you may be used to oversaturated color.
    1st I would check color depth and pixel format. As I would expect Eizo owner to actually have screen properly calibrated.
    (I see, that may be the problem. If you calibrated screen to look naturally with nVidia's over saturated colors, you may need recalibrate screen again.)

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    There is nothing wrong with calibration , colors are oversaturated , and like artificiali shaprpened , pixelated - like even resolution is not correct....
    upload_2020-11-21_10-48-8.png

Maybe use adapter HDMI -> DVI or DP-> DVI ?

17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Update : I went to PC store and got DP -> DVI cable, works like charm . :)

Embra, Fox2232 and Valken like this.
  18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Those things do not seem real. Especially the last one. Less features I could get behind

AlmondMan and Valken like this.
  19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Kind of like Battlefield 5, sottr and metro Exodus just small things with RT. Only one where it's blatantly obvious is control.

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Just benchmarked Valhalla with same settings as guru3d and scored exactly same FPS . Keep in mind i have 3300X :) , zero bottleneck in AC Valhalla tho, GPU use was 97-100%.
    In older games i guess bottleneck will be higher :)