PS5 - a genuine PC rival?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Danny_G13, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    So OH got herself one of these, and tbh, I'm now struggling to see how far behind a PC the PS5 is in terms of power.

It's got 4K, ray tracing, HDR and it looked very anti-aliased to me.

ANd it all ran at locked in 60fps.

Ok, Valhalla is well optimised anyway and runs locked in 60 on my 3090, but it's doing the same on PS5.

I'm going to guess the visual settings on the console are probably not quite at ultra, but to my eyes it didn't look much downgraded if at all.

The one thing my PC has is keyboard mouse, which console games will just never be built for, but other than that?

I'll always be a PC gamer, it's in my DNA, but no denying it, consoles have either got close or have completely caught up.

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The PS5 doesn't run AC:V at 4k.
    It runs between 1440p an 1728p.
    And it runs with lower settings.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Consoles have come a long way for sure but they will never quite catch up to PC because it takes forever to update them. While a PC you can (if you want to and have the money) update every year with new, more powerful, hardware.

Besides, you can always argue on PC you will have better graphics and can push more than 60 FPS (if that matters to you).

4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    What is the point of this thread?

Dragam1337 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You are right these consoles are very strong in terms of hardware.... but the same was said back when the PS3 and 360 released. They contained multi core CPU's when PC's were still using single core and just moving towards dual core chips. Their GPU's were based on (at the time) top end PC GPU's with the PS3 using a similar GPU to the 7800GTX and the 360 using a similar GPU to the ATI X1800.............

Everyone said PC gaming was dead but it only grew and got stronger, hardware leap frogged the consoles multiple times over.

PC is forever changing, it never stands still whereas consoles only change every five to seven years (or now every 3/4 years with "pro" consoles).

PC's offer choice, you want to play a PS game on PC using an Xbox controller? Go ahead. You want the choice of controller, go ahead. You want to mod a game.... go ahead. And even though people hate all the new "stores" we have on PC (steam, origin, gog, etc) but this is great in reality cause it brings competition and better deals and prices on games. Instead on a console you can only use their controllers, you can only play their games, you can only buy from their store......

The consoles really have never been a competitor to the PC, and never will be. Only cloud gaming will see the end of the PC as we know it and that could be decades from now for it to truly catch on and be successful.

gmavignier likes this.
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It sure looks like it from what we've seen thus far. But the proof is in the pudding. Until we start to see more games running on the new hardware it will be hard to tell.

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Consoles are ae neat alternative. For those who can't afford a proper gaming PC, they're the only alternative and when they want to game, that's the way to go.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with early games often not running native 4k and solid 60fps. I'm hoping this will improve with time.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Consoles run checkerboard and not native 4K? Basically upscaling.

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Console and PC differences are very small these days. PC has much more power. It's simply not used. It's stuck with parity of consoles. Developers rarely port something over to take advantage and when they do, it seems unoptimized.

PC is great to get features you won't see on console for a while. But it's like being a beta tester. With these features come bugs. PC has had 120hz gaming and Ray tracing for awhile now. Console "has" them. Ray tracing will be at a lower quality and 120hz gaming will be forgotten about quickly. Trust me. They can't hit true 4k/60fps as they promised.

They both have their ups and downs. PC can be buggy, expensive to keep up, and has a good amount of wasted power. Imagine having a sport car with a V8 engine and all you're allowed to do is drive down crowded city streets to the grocery store. That's pc these days to me. Sure it looks nicer than most of the cars on the street and it has the ability to blow them away, but not when you're all stuck in the same lane having to adhere to the speed limits. You get bragging rights and the knowledge you "could" be better than everyone else if you were on an open road.

mackintosh and gmavignier like this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Are you saying this goes for all the consoles and all the games? Because it sounds like it.

@SerotoNiN you pretty much nailed it.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Do consoles have the ability to run at native 4K?

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Mods in games.
    And the joy of having built your own. Hard to build your own console, or do they offer a DIY kit these days? Some assembly required? :D

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks like Pandora's box is now open.

386SX likes this.
  15. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Although limited, MOD support is also present on some games on console. The point being consoles are more and more like a cheap PC. And that's great.

386SX and fantaskarsef like this.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Consoles are just plug and play. Not a bad thing by any means.

386SX, gmavignier and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Ah good, didn't know that. Although I have the impression, mods are more easy to access on a console (probably working a bit like steam workshop?), but I wonder, where do you create your texture mods, e.g.? Probably on a PC :D

Didn't say it was a bad thing either. But plug and play kind of disappears when you have to still download / install your game... it used to be so easy, put in the disc, load up the game, play. But I see what you mean, ultimately I can buy a PC and hook it up to a monitor or TV and game as well. But price / performance, or price / fun time gaming is ofc better with a console in such a regard. Less worrisome as well, since you don't have to worry about updates, drivers and their issues, etc.

But generally I was referring to the question, what a PC offers over a console. And that you can always work with a gaming PC, but I don't see anybody using a console to type his emails, draw construction plans, handle databases etc.

386SX likes this.
  18. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Yes and no. Since consoles are more and more like PCs it's not uncommon for them to freeze or just not work. Thing is you don't have to troubleshoot just restart.

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    If gaming were sports cars, consoles are like buying a Mustang or a GTI. It's gonna do it's job fine and won't cost too much.

PCs are a willingness to buy and maintain an Alfa Romeo.

gmavignier likes this.
  20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sony removed the intenet browser from the PS5, which is a good thing because it protects the core system. The PS4 should never have had one in the first place.

386SX likes this.