Dramatic Radeon RX 6800 Availability even worse than RTX 3080 launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Huggi

Huggi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX Vega 64
    But I also wonder if AMD deliberately nerfed the reference supply in order to give more chips to AIBs? None of the Australian retailers are getting any more stock of the reference cards which sounds like that it's already stopped production and now AIB designs will take the stage. This whole thing sounds like a marketing strategy to say "6800XT has a MSRP of $649!" despite the fact that all the upcoming AIB cards will now cost more... we'll see how it turns out in a weeks time I guess.

gmavignier likes this.
  2. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    That wouldn't make any sense, unless they were bound by prior agreements. The profit margins on their own cards would far outstrip anything they made on AIB sales.

Supply issues are caused by an unprecedented demand across the whole product spectrum due to the pandemic (lots of people working from home + home schooling), by a new gen console launch and by severe issues in logistics and distribution channels (limited cargo space and courier services).

3. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Especially stupid, as by the end of September he must have known about the projected quantities of cards for launch... o_O

4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    1 - in switzerland at the etailer mentioned in an article on videocardz they had a news on the 1st page telling how people could "hope" to get a card, the cards were unlisted, you could not find them using the search or browsing the components on the site, the only links to the cards where on that news page, they also said "no availability" and "no price given"...in those circumstances, obviously it meant they had like 5 cards..maybe 20 tops and still you find a lot of people complaining that they added the card to the basket and couldn't get one
    I mean c'mon the cards aren't listed have no price and no availability announced what did they expect ? also since when can you buy high-end hardware day 1 in switzerland ? lol maybe Intel in the old days but definitely not recent AMDs the 3950x cpus took like 2-3 months to be in stock, some people are going berzerk in 2020 and completely forget how things work(ed)

2 - something is going on in the silicon industry in Asia...I I don't know if they weren't truthful about the covid impact compared to western countries or if it's the boom of home office and other products that took priority in the FABs but it seems like they are overwhelmed by the amount of work everywhere, not only for gpu and cpu

3- If you have seen one of my previous post I mentioned the fact that nvidia and amd went bonkers with the releases 5x gpu 4x cpu in two months, all that at the same time the iphone 12 and whatever else is made (edit : oh yeah nothing less than both the next xbox and ps consoles before christmas, giant LOL) what did they expect ? FABs have several bottlenecks and making a chip can take months depending on complexity.They should have merged the announcement and the "release" date in a two day event or at least in one week time to give the message that this product "will be available" not that "it is"

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    m4dn355 likes this.

5. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Don't panic but I am a time traveler and I came from the future (again!) to tell you that AMD cards are still out of stock in 2024 - the performance charts look nice though...

jbscotchman and mohiuddin like this.
  6. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Like I said, 2020 is an unprecedented year, with the pandemic affecting all walks of life. The demand for computers and peripherals has far outstripped supply due to the sheer number of people now working or learning from home. There is only so much manufacturing capacity available to fulfill that demand, and enthusiast hardware isn't their priority, because that's not where most of the money is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took several years for things to go back to normal.

7. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    People is forgetting that now we have the Criptocurrencies market that is ready to explode in 2021... this cards is perfect to miners, because of it we will have difficults to buy VGAs nowadays....

8. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    Maybe,but wait..Major fire at the MSI factory in Kunshan (China),could be another "Gpu Crysis"? :D
    Lets not forget there are Console Apus to manufacture these days,so TSMC & co is in big rush to put consoles in time on the market.

After 25 Nov will be more Radeon RX 6000 cards on market than today.So whats the rush?

9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Maybe it was a bad idea by all companies involved (AMD/NVidia) to decide to release new GPUS/CPUs/Consoles in middle of this global pandemic. I mean WTF did they think was going to happen.

Unfortunately for hardware manufacturers, it is not as easy to scale up and suddenly sell billions instead of millions of copies of latest product like a software "manufacturer" such as EA can (since what they sell are all virtual copies and infinitely scalable)

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You realize these products are in like two-three year development cycles right? It's not like when AMD started designing the 6800XT in 2018 they were like "HEY GUYS MAYBE WE SHOULD WAIT A YEAR BECAUSE 2020 IS GOING TO BE A REAL SHITSHOW". It's locked in. The ~$500M contract with TSMC to fabricate all this crap AMD is developing was signed probably late last year. Can't say "sorry guys, please pause it because our customers might be upset that products will be difficult to get"

There is also no evidence that these products are having supply chain problems. People keep saying that - but Nvidia's quarterly earnings show a 7.5% increase over the forecast. So they beat their expectations and their expectations were already 25% over Turing launch. The products are selling fine - it's just that a frack ton of gamers are sitting at home because of COVID wanting to play games.

Valken and Icanium like this.

11. ACEB

ACEB Member Guru

GPU:
    Frank Azor is an idiot, technically he's correct because some people got cards but it's the same crap that Nvidia pulled and Frank Azor suggested AMD would be different instead of just keeping his mouth shut he's made things worse than they would have been.

Nvidia still don't have any kind of supply after months, as said before I'll pass final judgement in December on AMD

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This round between (imaginary) cards from Nvidia and AMD is the best ever! Nvidia released some powerful and expensive cards that almost don´t exist and what was AMD´s answer? They also released some powerful and expensive cards that very few can buy!

Now all we need is for Intel to step up and also release their fantasy cards for the party to be complete!

I almost feel sorry for anyone who needs a GPU right now...

Nvidia and AMD could have hold on their releases for a couple of months in order to build some decent stock instead of releasing the few cards they had lying around...

And i have a very hard time believing that this issue is being cause by higher demand than expected because if that was the case then stores wouldn´t be complaining about the fact that most of them are not receiving cards to sell!!!

If the 3000 was such an huge hit stores would be complaining that they already sold out everything they had and need much more cards to sell...

Also, Nvidia probably beat expectations thanks to the sales of their 2000 series because the 3000 series only have been for sale for around a month max, with very low quantities available.

13. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia doesn't break down its gaming segment revenue by product. There's no telling where the increase came from. For all we know, it's from their mobile chips.

H83 likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep man. No reason to take your "soon to be worthless" money. We all have them, and soon, our saving can be worth nothing.

Upwards trends in bad situation when everyone knew that there was big bubble even before this bad situation...

It can blow any day now, or it may not blow. But I would not be surprised.
    = = = =
    As for launch, our shops did screw up badly. They did not even list cards at 15:00 CET like they did with CPUs.
    1st shop shown cards at 15:25 and let people order something already unavailable for another 25 minutes. Tons of people paid. And when other shops started to list cards hour later... who would order 2nd one when 1st is already paid, right?
    Then at night, 1st shop sent out FU letters to almost everyone.

And by today, 15 out of 40 cards sold by 1st shop are on 2nd hand resale websites.
    - - - -
    And it brings question: When did your shops start to list cards? Because our being between 25 and 90 minutes late makes really big window. And someone somewhere could have been getting them 25 minutes before.
    Here, Fixed it for Ya.
    = = = =
    Side note, maybe it is time, some unimportant chip production went from TSMC to intel. Like Airplane Safety Chips or Eye-Fones.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

We went over this. It wouldn't have changed anything. It would have just delayed the people that already got their card (me) and there still would have been a shortage at the later launch date. It's not like delaying allows them to make more cards then not delaying. I also don't really care for how you "feel" about the demand issue - we have data on it. It points to what Nvidia has been saying, demand is outstripping the supply. AMD is saying the same thing now. Nvidia's financials show the same thing. It makes sense logically (everyone I know wants these cards), just looking at google trend data shows that more people are searching for Nvidia 3000, RDNA2, AMD 5000 series CPUs then every previous launch. Most people I know are working from home, they want a console. They want a new gaming PC. Etc.

How do you explain a massive revenue increase from Nvidia if they simply aren't selling any cards? Suddenly, two years after launch, everyone wants a 2000 series? lol. What's also funny to me is that I personally know three people with 3080s - so for a card that's considered a "paper launch" its weird that I know so many people that have them.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And one extra thing. Imagine despair on intel's HQ. They have tons of production capacity, but were too afraid to release dedicated graphics as nVidia and AMD could crushed them on driver level. Or because people prefer nVidia/AMD over intel.
    Well, no crushing now. Only lost opportunity.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I can only tell you what i think because we have no data to know if it´s you or me that is right about this.

About building a bigger stock before release, for me this would make a better release because more people would have the cards right at the start instead of only a few buying them. In the end, most people would have to wait anyway but i think this way would be better for everyone.

About searching in Google for certain products, that doesn´t equate to sales. I´ve also been searching for the products you mentioned and i have not bought any of them and probably i will not buy any hardware for the rest of the year.

The increase revenue can be explained by Nvidia discounting the 2000 series so they can clear up the stock for the new series or maybe by a surge on mobile GPUs, like mackinstosh mentioned, because many are buying new laptops to work from home. Or maybe it´s from the 300 series, like you think it´s.

The problem is that we have no way of knowing for sure, because Nvidia doesn´t disclose their revenues by products or series or products, so your guess is good as mine. But one thing is for sure, everyone is reporting that they received very few units of cards, compared to previous lauchs, and we have lots of people complaining that they want a 3000 card and they can´t get one anywere.
    I think this points out to a production issue, very few cards available to sell, and not to a demand problem, so i stand by my idea that this almost a paper lauch by Nvidia. But i could be wrong, of course.

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I think it's a perfect storm of:

-->People like us, waited for 2 or 3 generations to buy a new GPU (expensive, unimpressive, etc)
    -->People are bored out of their minds, many of them built a PC this year with their entertainment money
    -->More people are working from home, many of them built a PC this year, some went all out (more than an office PC)
    -->Kids are staying home to homeschool online, many of them got laptops, some got a new PC.
    -->New builds happened simply because of the fantastic new CPUS; finally giving holdouts on Sandy Bridge (etc) a path.
    -->Stock might have been a bit limited and covid makes shipping more challenging.

It's not just GPU's being affected. Lots of parts are really hard to find this year. 2020 is a total build-a-thon.

JAMVA likes this.
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I blame China for releasing this covid crap on the world. Let's not kid ourselves.

20. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Imagine if something happens to TSMC's factories... Companies, consumers and billions of $ depending on them. Very good for TSMC but pressure is high not to frack it up. :p