Guru3D Content Reviews: AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 18, 2020.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    There is no game which is worth playing with RT, maybe Control with RT is one of the games which I enjoyed play with RT but that's it

If you already played that game then what other game is worth, Cyberpunk 2077 is not even released yet and we still don't know what performance of current GPUs will be there

DLSS is dealbreaker for many people here, although I hate playing with DLSS

Sadly for me RTX 3090 or 3080 or 3080Ti is only option for rendering and CUDA workloads, if I would buying GPU for gaming I would probably get 6800/6800XT or 6900XT or 3080

Thanks, Jura

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    looks good on the AMD side, yet another paper launch though, will wait several months to see how this pans out( and card availability lol )

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Now that Nvidia posted their earnings it seems pretty clear that these aren't paper launches. Demand is just way higher than it ever has been.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Can't say I'm surprised. We're finally getting GPUs handily capable of 4K that aren't astronomically expensive (at MSRP).

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think it's the threshold that's being crossed (4K now finally playable), combined with COVID keeping people home, combined with Turing being pretty average launch overall. Anecdotally, the core group of friends I play games with (about 6 people), are trying to buy new GPUs/CPUs this cycle. I've been gaming with them for a decade and I can't remember a time all of us were trying to buy parts at the same time.. usually multiple will wait, but all 6 of us were/are looking for a RTX3K/RNDA2/AMD CPU (although one guy is looking for a 3900x for a good price). As of right now 3 of us got 3080s. No CPUs yet. I'm looking for a 5900x myself but I can't be bothered to F5 or setup notifications. Only reason why I got the 3080 was the EVGA queue.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

holy f..

1.3 B of pure moneyz

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Guess I'll wait for 5nm, hopefully with better RT performance. Not that 1440p really needs one of these new cards.

8. kodachrome

kodachrome Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I found RTX in Watch Dogs Legion made a fairly average experience a bit more interesting. Without Raytracing.. it looks pretty 2012 IMO. I spent quite a bit of time flying/walking/driving things around London just looking at how the light, water and reflections all look (and that's to say, they look real'ish for the first time ever). Control as mentioned is substantially more alive with RTX. The only other game I tried it with was Metro Exodus but I really didnt get wow'ed there at all.

I have a 2080Ti and was a bit shocked to see it competitive at high res with the 6800XT. I want to see VR benchmarks (the 3080 is much faster in VR than the 2080Ti vs pancake gaming) and also 6900's benches (though Im not expecting much difference).[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Valken likes this.
  9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    VR benchmarks would nice. I have recently gotten hold of an Oculus Quest 2, and while that's not yet fully operational, I'd certainly love to see how various cards perform for this sort of workload. Especially given that the Quest 2 is a streaming device.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Valken likes this.
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    +1 for VR.

11. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, this is closer to what the competition has, but more coil whine? Sheesh... Not that it's going to matter that much, if they get sold out just as fast as Nvidia's.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Well, coilwhine comes down to selections of components, does it not? So a board partner could make a product that exhibits less whine.

13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Hopefully, but it wasn't the case for Nvidia, except the ASUS TUF 3080, iirc.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Generally, this looks pretty good, well done AMD. Now what has to show is how the drivers work out, especially combined with new tech (DXR in existing games) etc.

But generally, as I'm too more interested in RT than rasterisation perfromance, I kind of... expected a tad more. Will look at benchmarks further (and the 6900 of course), but right now it looks like, if you plan on using Ray Tracing, grab an Nvidia card (after you pulled it out of a scalpers dead cold hands).

AlmondMan likes this.
  15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Oh. That sucks. I haven't read all the reviews of the many different cards - the first batch was the most interesting just to see performance. There's so little difference between what board partners offer, even between their own models, these days that it just doesn't seem to matter much at all which you get.

I haven't had a card that I could tell was creating coil whine, but like most people my PC is in a closed case under my table, and there are some fans making a little fan noise as well as me usualy playing music or games out of my speakers when I'm at the PC. So maybe the Red Devil card here is screaming like crazy, I just never knew :D

16. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I've had coil whine with the GTX 970, and it took about a year for it to "bake in". Then the PSU started whining, but it was a decade old, so it had its reasons... :D Anyway, I'll see what the partners bring to the table, but with how quickly these cards sell out, it will most likely be unimportant. My GTX 1080 proves more and more to be an excellent buy.

AlmondMan likes this.
  17. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Hmm, Alza (one of the big IT chains here) has the 6800 for circa 719 USD (not in stock so far, though). A bit cheaper than Nvidia, I guess (3070 was 800 USD here).

18. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Scan were selling the cheapest 6800 at 520, next one at 530 while they had stock. I almost bought one, but I think I'll wait to see if any problems arise.

19. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    One of our biggest computer hardware shops, Proshop (of recent nvidia 3000 series delivery issues fame) aren't even listing any 6800 cards. They had listed Powercolor models yesterday, at 10 million DKK for some reason, and they're gone now.

Computersalg.dk has the same Powercolor cards. 5.764 DKK for the 6800 and 6.349 DKK for the 6800 XT.
    The same shop has the Zotac 3080 Gaming Trinity at 6.434 DKK as the cheapest 3080. The cheapest 3070 is the Zotact Gaming Twin Edge at 4.838 DKK.

20. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I gave up and looking at the reviews I was going to go for the 6800xt but have just bought a 3080 OCUK has stock but be quick

ZXRaziel likes this.