Rocket Lake at 5.5 GHz could be Intels answer against the Ryzen 9 5950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Kevin Mauro

Kevin Mauro Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super FTW3
    Fair fair. Wonder if stressing their reach by operating frequency will have effects on product integrity more so along the lines of my "oh no" reaction...

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Barely anyone buys this class of cpu for productivity - you have the big sockets for that.

The small sockets are primarily focused on gaming, at least on intels part, and kinda obvious why, as the gaming market is by far the biggest.

8 super fast cores is what you want for gaming, and that is what intel is doing with rocket lake.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    And a 1200W PSU probably ...

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Pentium 4 lost the war in term of price/performance but not market share from what i can remember. I remember many people paying more for Pentium 4 with lower/equal performance than cheaper Athlon processor. Yes it sounds dumb specially since P4 was not a particularly good architecture but that's what lot of people were doing back then.

And it's still the case today. I know someone who built a 10700k system around a month ago and when i told him he should wait to see what AMD would do (he had already a good enough computer to wait) his answer was that he would never buy AMD no matter what. Many many many people still stick to Intel/nVidia no matter what happens unless AMD has like a 100% performance lead which is impossible.

HandR and carnivore like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Sadly it is.

100% agree.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    angelgraves13 likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Sorry but that is just one pointless rambling in that article, he keeps going over and over again about 14nm and 8core downgrade.

If that makes it a sucky product so be it lol :D

8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    yep i just forgot its name.
    Well its finally ready for mass usage, intel had to do it to push clocks for everyone and to have something for the hardcore to play with.

And here it was tweaked to work on AMD:

Valken likes this.
  9. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Fair enough; we can add you to the ever growing list of numpties that contribute to this site.

99.5 is greater than 99, therefore 99 is crap...

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    First of all, it's quite ironic with your first remark, as you are quite clearly the new user here.

Secondly, you are putting words into my mouth, but i am obviously going to buy the best product available for my use case, which is gaming. So if the 11900k is 15% faster at gaming than the 5950x, then i will obviously buy the 11900k. That doesn't mean the 5950x is bad, but it aint the best product for my use case, so why would i buy it.

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    But why are you willing to wait 5-6 months for the 11900k but not 8-9 months for Ryzen 6000? Also i think you and also Intel underestimate how the market has changed. Home computer used to be about mostly only games. But today you have indie gaming development which was not a reality 20 years ago. You have content creators on Youtube which was not a reality 20 years ago. You have open source and mobile development which are both accessible to normal people which was not a reality 20 years ago.

Back in the days the only way to sell your software was in a store or on your own website handling the payment with your bank or paypal and this was almost impossible to gain any traction over big tech companies this way. Now you have platforms like Steam, Epic, Gog, Windows Store, Apple Store, Google Play Store, Crowd Funding, Patreon, etc ... making it possible and significantly more accessible. One of the best selling game of the last 10 years is Minecraft an indie game made at home.

Some people care about games only and that's fine. But i hate how most of them are stuck in 2001 thinking near 100% of the market think only about games like them. Personally i work at home and i can't afford to have a gaming machine only. I've been on Ryzen since day one cause well they are good enough for gaming and are significantly better for everything else. And i'll keep being on Ryzen until Intel retake the productivity crown which clearly wont be in 2021. And if you think i'm alone you are greatly mistaken. The biggest obstacle for AMD right now is not performance but their reputation.

Agonist likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I have already stated the reasons - l2read.

And how exactly does indie games change anything? Wierd argument. And yes, the vast majority only use their gaming computers for gaming and browsing. If you are a content creator, buy a cpu that is aimed at that, rather than one aimed at gamers. Pretty freaking simple, eh?

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You assume home cpus are just for gaming because that's what you do. They are not anymore lot of people use them for productivity (while not requiring HEDT). But whatever keep living in your own bubble.

Agonist likes this.
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's a very minor % of home pc's that is used for productivity, aside of basic office use etc.

But i really dont see how it is relevant to any of what i said. I honestly dont give a rats arse why you do or dont buy a given cpu. I have stated why im getting a 11900k, and that's the end of it.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    We haven't the same remembering then: i were working in a computer store at that time, the manager pass command of a lot of intel... we sell less than 25% of them (and on sale price), everyone from student to IT was only wanting AMD only one month after release... the situation last many year.
    Not that Intel were bad (i had a 955XE at this time) but AMD were better and cost (lot) less.

16. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    I'll let you think about this one for a moment; I'm over 50 years old, and have been a computer enthusiast since my VIC20 a very, very long time ago. I was using the internet before AOL started slapping CDs on the cover of every magazine.

You would be in error to think I've only just started coming here.

HandR and Fox2232 like this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Says the profile with 50 posts, first one being in 2019. Just sod off, kthxbye.

18. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I bought a 3700x and then updated to a 3950x for productivity, and I love it.
    It's perfect for a modder who's got a decent following who both likes to game and make game content, and possibly do for-hire stuff too.
    It doesn't need crazy liquid cooling anything, it isn't loud (not even close), it doesn't roast me out of the room, it doesn't blow a fuse when I turn it on with another system running in here - nor did it take me to the bank - which is most important.
    So yes, the big sockets are for serious work, no doubt - but there's a lot of us who need our PC to game AND work, and don't want to break the bank doing so (or just have no desire to go HEDT as it's not going to return the investment much better in regards to time VS a decent core-count AM4 machine by comparison).
    Most times I don't even make use of what an 8-core 16-thread 3700x did at full tilt; but then again, especially with BeamNG Drive or when I am doing my backups (zip, unzip, all-SSD here so I use a lot of compression and so-forth), I am very thankful for this 3950x.
    Most folks won't need more than 8 cores, so your argument stands well - but I did have to add that there's a certain subset of us who need (or just want and can afford) a 12 or 16 core processor.
    Just fire up BeamNG Drive and open the UI interface customization screen, and add the Traffic Control App or whatever it's called. It lets you spawn a bunch of vehicles in and use them as traffic. It will work the CPU up until you hit the DX11 draw call limit (single core limitation for DX 11 feeding render calls to the GPU, same thing that MS Flight Sim 2020 hits), which is usually around 12~14 cores before you get diminishing returns on the AM4 platform with BeamNG Drive's physics VS said draw calls.
    If you like realistic driving, you should definitely try the game out as it's quite entertaining to make a big accident with the soft-body physics... or with the piano prop :)
    Yes, yes you can put a piano in the road and let traffic hit it, it's pretty priceless. Or you can haul 50+ of them in a tractor trailer, sometimes choose to go off road with it, slamming them around a bit, and be glad for having a 3900x/3950x / 5900x/5950x.

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

You are a complete tool
    Argue all you want, your intel biased is in the open. Deny all of the logic and modern reason you want as well.
    Post count means nothing here. That's like crying KDR is all that matters in gaming.
    I could have 10x what I do for how long I have been registered and had been lurking guru3d for 3 years before I joined up. And I have been around computers since 1990.

The Phoenix likes this.
  20. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Yeah, 100% true that. I didn't sign up until somewhat recently as this site registration would never get me a confirmation email - not even to my spam folder.
    I didn't take interest myself to computers until I played TANK WARS (bomb exe) in DOS on a friend's dad's PC back around 1991~1992 or so, and when I got my own 486 used, as a teenager, in 1994 - was so happy. Couldn't pry me off that thing with the jaws of life until I murdered it accidentally in some way shape or form.

Being Intel or AMD biased over anything besides features and innovation is just... well, kind of pointless. There is one thing I'm a fan of (though possibly falling short of a fanboy of) myself - competent performance at a good price! Something doesn't help me get done work if it's only 5% faster at double the cost, but if it means I get 8 cores vs 4 for 300$ I am 'so in' on that.
    Example:
    When the computer dies I go down to the parts store cash-in-hand, after some trial and error here of "seeing if I can bring life back to it without throwing money at it". Whatever I come home with is whatever performs well for the price (once you take into account things like: can it be air cooled, will it work with my power supply I have already - if not how much extra will one be, can I tolerate said additional noise from power/cooling/temperature needs VS the leading brand or will it even fit in my existing case, does it do what I need to do or is it at this point just worth replacing the entire tower or buying into a motherboard/cpu combo with new RAM vs just a motherboard or whatever part is needed, will I need new RAM entirely or is it just recommended for that last 5~10% and do I have enough RAM, am I spending hundreds if not more just to kick the can down the proverbial FPS road for just 5~10 more FPS or is this going to give me double the speed of what I'm replacing and really feel like money-well-spent? ...and SO many other questions or specifics).

I know when I had "had enough" of the limits of my Z97/4790k system and it wasn't acting right anymore after the power substation blew up (though I did eventually get it running decent with time as a backup machine - it was 5 years old, time for new one), and I moved to originally a 3700x/x570 chip-set system (later got 3950x), the reviews gave me no clue just how much more powerful the processor was when new instructions were used (e.g. RIMWORLD went from crawl to LUDICROUS SPEED / PLAID) vs the five-year-old model.

So yeah, entirely, let folks who wish to be fan boys of one company or another just lull themselves into wasting their money/ not getting as much for their dollar as others with a more open mind. That'll keep more good stuff for us :)

TL DR
    For those on Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge or even Haswell 4.6ghz and lower / Skylake or Kaby Lake that's not a 4.8~5ghz screamer - time to get a new one if you feel you need one.
    For those one 1st gen (or possibly 2nd gen Ryzen systems) - if you can upgrade without a new board, and you need to, there's definitely gains to be had - but only worth it if you're not replacing the motherboard too. That said there's not a whole lot you can't do in modern games with a Haswell or 1st gen Ryzen system - but if you have something that needs a boost, there's definitely some greener grass on the other side of the pasture, so to speak.
    For those who still get acceptable performance from their system (including 1% lows when it comes to FPS), I would say you're not missing too much and shouldn't be running to the store with the credit cards. That said though, for those that need it, there's still a jump in performance to be had - and it isn't always evident from reviews just how much.