New 27' VA Panel monitor. Need Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by kapu, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check comparisons on RTings, you would be surprised how well the older and much cheaper displays hold up.
    Last years models might be bargains.

I did the same for the new Ultrawide Odyssey G9 vs the older 49" CRG9 / C49RG90 (US/UK) display, both are 2x 27" 1440p monitors side by side with a curve.
    The only real benefit of the G9 is 240Hz vs 120Hz max refresh, in some ways the G9 is a little worse! (I especially dont like the tighter curve of the G9, I sit a bit further back.)
    But to use the G9s 240Hz refresh at native res requires the use of compression (DSC) over DP because it doesnt have HDMI 2.1, so only 20xx series cards onward get the benefit.
    The older CRG9 can be overclocked to 144Hz 8bit/colour with a custom res. But this might have a bit of dark smear, I'll have to check.
    Another downside of the CRG9 is HDR with 10bit/colour maxes at 100Hz due to bandwidth limits (doesnt support DSC).
    However, I use HDR on my Q9FN TV (also a 2018 Samsung VA) at 8bit and its absolutely fine, so this might work well on the CRG9 to keep it at 120Hz and input lag really low.
    To this end, with few differences, I just bought the C49RG90, should be here in a few days, lockdown fun :D
    Thats 1/2 the price of the new G9 saved!

I just realised, theres nowhere to enter the display you use in account settings.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I need 27' .... maybe 31 but my desk is small and i stil close. :)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A question was asked, I answered it faithfully, not deserving that kind of slam.
    I have a Q9FN TV (Samsung VA) and its awesome. HDR2000 rocks. It sacrifices very little.
    The only things I care to change are a larger size with HDMI 2.1 for 4K120, good things are coming.

I also cannot stand an underlying glow on a display which is why I havent bought an IPS.
    Contrast ratio matters more for me.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    That was an anecdote about how RTings can be useful to quickly compare displays.
    It was easy to see how little difference twice the money stretches to.
    Use it for your benefit.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm not slamming. Both IPS and VA have it's pros and cons, I've said that already. The biggest one being the contrast. Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice a bit of contrast for everything else IPS does better. You might, many others will too. Hey, I have my PC hooked up to my OLED TV too and that's a completely different ballpark of what a panel should look like.

Then buy an OLED TV, like the LG CX. you get 4k120, you get perfect blacks due to pixels being able to switch off, it doesn't get blacker than a switched off pixel. You'll get "infinite" contrast. You'll get zero backlight bleed because there's no backlight. You'll get Gsync, 1ms resonse time. And it's a larger size, like you wanted. Honestly, overall, it'll be better than any monitor out there.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    modern ips displays are superior to VA and TN for sure, the pixel response times are better than early IPS tech, you get the better colour reproduction of IPS and none of the fracking burn in of OLED

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If OLED didnt suffer burn they would have so much brighter HDR.
    Because of the temporary and permanent burn in possibility I wont get an HDR OLED TV, it will see too much PC use.
    I appreciate many people use an OLED TV with a PC and notice no issues, but its just a matter of time, unless they reduce the experience by keeping brightness down.
    Some OLED displays do this for you by having low sustained nits and very aggressive ABL.

The cost of an OLED PC display is far too high with no widescreen or HDR options yet.
    The few incoming HDR OLEDs for PC, necessarily max at very low brightness, and are very costly.
    I love HDR2000, I could entertain an HDR1500 OLED if it didnt have aggressive ABL, didnt burn in and the price was right.
    Until then ...

8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    modern va displays are superior to IPS and TN for sure, the pixel response times are better than early VA tech, you get the better color reproduction of VA and none of the fracking burn in of OLED

did my homework for ya, next time be prepared for a lesson

Xtreme512 likes this.
  9. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I played RDR2 on PS4 on my LG OLED until it was available for PC, and those bright whites in the snowy areas almost made me cry. OLEDs aren't dark at all. I can watch TV while the sun shines into my living room without the need to close the curtains. I was surprised how bright that TV is.

And burn in is easily avoided by leaving them connected to power. They have systems that reduce the effects while its in standby. That's the only thing you need to do to make them last long.

I think they made a test with an LG OLED. They left it running 24/7 with the same news channel and it was months that would be see burnin where the channel logo and the news statusbar showed. Months with 24/7 on the same channel - who would do that in RL ? :D

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Each time it fixes burn in it reduces the max brightness by wearing out the OLEDs a little.
    Thats the only way to get all of them to the same brightness again, wear down all the other OLEDs levels.
    (Or give the dimmer oleds more power, but then they will wear out even faster, so I doubt this method is used)
    If the burn in is severe enough, it wont have enough time to fully fix it before next use. This is why they are not recommended for PC.

That directly correlates with PC use over time.
    It doesnt need to be in one go, its cumulative.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Not from my experience, maybe the new " nano" ips are better

my old HDTV had that effect it was IPS panel and pretty much very IPS i see does, my UHDTV is VA has no such issue so again from my experenice IPS are bad in my eyes

@kapu
    When you find a monitor let use I know i curious to what you endup with you mostly looking for some thing I am, just not curved would love to get my monitor off 1080p and move to at very lest 1440p for the right price.

I tend to use resolution that is highest res my monitor can use for even my UHDTV which is 1080p

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't know about your experience. In general though, IPS does better than VA in all those things. Nano IPS has nothing to do with the topic, it doesn't improve response time or ghosting. It's, in Layman's terms a marketing term used by LG. It does theoretically improve the colour gamut but like I said, has nothing to do with response time or ghosting.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    OK back to the topic guys , any STRONG recommendation ? :) Any thoughts on models i mentioned ?

what about
    Gigabyte Aorus CV27Q ?

14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Try getting any 2020 model, we're nearly at the end of the year. :)

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Again in my experience it does not imo VA is better then IPS Response time are slower on IPS then TN and VA is someplace between. to me IPS have alway been blurry mess in movement so there color accuracy means squat to me, maybe I more annoyed by motion blur that then others but this main reason why I misses CRT and why hate almost all LCD/LED type panels, I been waiting of OLED to become affordable which fixes my main complaint about the tech

Ticks most the boxes for me if not all, just not the curved little pricy for my taste though

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    What does 2020 give ?

What about HDR guys ? Is it worth it ?

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Imo, anthing less than certified HDR 1000 is a compromise.
    A major reason I bought the C49RG90 is because it can sustain 600nits SDR (as a metric for HDR ability, not because I will go that bright with SDR) and does close to 1000nits HDR with 10% and 25% windows.
    It is HDR1000 certified, look for this.

HDR 600 certified is imo not good enough unless its OLED and even then I have reservations.
    It needs to have very good black levels for HDR600 to start looking ok, most LCD screens are not good enough.
    ie a very high contrast ratio is needed.

I wouldnt give HDR400 a sniff.

If only there were more HDR2000 or better displays, there are so few, it looks incredible on my Q9FN TV.
    Even the fake HDR with SDR TV or movies is impressive.
    I use it with approx the same backlight brightness as SDR viewing, this highlights bright things and looks great, not overstated, more dynamic.
    My Dads reaction was "oh yes, leave it on that" lol.
    To me this TV looks like a really good CRT but high res.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Again, VA has better contrast than IPS. That's it. IPS does everything else at least as well but mostly better. Your experience doesn't reflect the real world.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @kapu
    HDR on PC is iffy special in windows is worth it? I guess that who you ask, when WORKS like it should it great when it dont its, well not if you gona get HDR get panel that can actual show it properly, there really arnt that many I aware of monitor wise , UHDTV tend to be pricey still those 400-500 panels dont even come close to being able to do HDR proper.

@metagamer
    Keep telling your self that there are. The other people that think the same thing about IPS they must be wrong too? Not everyone likes IPS has to many drawback to my liking it simple as that for me I personal rather that have VA/TN panel before IPS the Response time of IPS is my biggest reasone, and I not talking about IPS panels that are 120hz/240hz I talking from 60HZ CRT vs 60hz IPS IPS worst of panels in that regard and 60hz CRT much much much clearer and clean image then IPS and most panel tech

IPS just tend to be nicer then MOST panel types if you staring at static image

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    From what i hear right now HDR is gymnic , needs very expensive monitor and doesnt always work ?