Rocket Lake at 5.5 GHz could be Intels answer against the Ryzen 9 5950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    To upgrade my 6c/12t i want at least 12cores. But by the time they release their ship, i might have jumped to 5900X already.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You don't need a Tardis. Intel has barely done anything to change RL, so you can pretty easily predict what will happen.
    At least it supports PCIe 4.0, so that's nice.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its nice to see Intel going backwards with cores and threads. :D

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Maybe at 720p with low detail settings.

EspHack likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    If for gaming, then it doesn't really make sense to have more cores than the consoles, as that's the amount of cores games are optimized for... aka it's better to have 8 super fast cores, than 12 semi fast ones, as 8 cores is what the new xbox series x and playstation 5 have :)

Gandul, ZXRaziel and XenthorX like this.
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Honestly though, it doesn't matter for gaming... hence why the 5600x does about as well for gaming as the 5950x - it's all about the single thread performance, and memory latency.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    DX12 can handle more than 4 cores properly so for those games (very few today but they are the future) AMD works great
    DX11 cannot handle even 4 cores properly so in that case only clock speed matters
    Since consoles just got a new CPU with more cores than previously, single thread performance won't matter for long now it's a dead end
    I highly doubt xbox ps5 devs will release games that can only handle 2 cores like we still see on PC

I really want AMD to be better I can't wait to see radeons benchmarks tomorrow the money I didn't spend on a 2080Ti is ready to go into a team red build

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  8. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    well, nothing can be hotter than 5800x

9. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    March next year

10. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Yep, most certainly it will. I mean, even skylake (10th gen gen) which is 15% less IPC than Rocket Lake already is very close to Zen 3 in gaming. So Rocket Lake with its IPC increase will give them this. BUT, overall it is not a very good buy...

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well Im pretty sure it will use less power and be cooler then current 10900K.

12. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    "Don't stress test your overclocks, you'll be fine with the BSODs"

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Oh yeah, if it was for gaming only i would get a 8 cores but i have large C++ projects to compile and i want the best of both world.
    But to be honest if prices of new AMD cpu haven't been back to normal by the time intel release its new product line i'll stay open minded to options.

So far i seriously doubt i'll be able to upgrade my CPU in 2020, i can tolerate going MSRP + 50euros no more than that. (most 5800X/5900X AMD CPUs i find in stores are closer to MSRP + 250euros)

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just a temporary measure. They have higher IPC in pipeline. Question is when. And that's same question as when are they releasing this thing.

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    So .. about 250 watts for the cpu and about 250 watts for the peltier cooler spending 500 watts to match or slightly beat the single core of your competition that will beat you in multicore will be in breath distance from your single core perfomance, meanwhile the competition is at 105 watts .....how is that even remotely competitive ? I would have much prefer em to go 10nm and stay on 5ghz.... Consume the 1/5 of power and offer 90% +++ the perfomance.

Mind you i have no cpu at hand to test or any inside info ....all i am going by is the data from the 10xxx series i hope i am wrong.

BReal85 likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Without the holes?? higher GHZ is no longer answer unless you trying to create more heat and wattage, cpu wattage has already went up more then like. My current system pulls about 350 watts full load that not much more then consoles with newer cpu and gpu that isnt happen

They days STP and GHZ dictated performance should be thing of the past, BETTER IPC and Better TDP to Performance should be where thing are going. Show me a 35watt CPU/GPU with power of current highend CPU/GPU it possible but willl probably never happen and I will buy that up

My next system if and when I build it will be at very least 8c/16t and would love to keep the cpu wattage under 100 wattage and gpu under 200 wattage but I dont see it happen which i dont see happening MTP what important now STP should not longer be worry

17. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    From the late 99 to 2003 CPU base clock speeds increased from our old Pentium 200Mhz CPU's to 3.6G speed in just 4 years... and we've been sitting there for the past almost 20 years now.
    Advances have been made, many in multiple core counts, but this hasn't changed the mainstream approach of still coding as cheap as possible which ends up resulting in applications only written for that one single core in many cases.

Some would argue that base speed isn't necessary as other architecture improvements have been made, others like me tend to cringe every time i see a roadmap of future CPU development and realize the fact that they are going to try and profit off every intermediary development process rather than just get to the best the fastest and skip all those processors they could have sold in the between. Greed holding back advancement of Humanity just to profit on every step of the way, sickening.

No doubt someone will reply "well nobody would do anything if they weren't able to make money off it", and to that I completely understand, yet wholeheartedly disappointed every time I see how easily people have accepted model of money being the driving factor of everything and personal morals or benefit of humanity is secondary at best, if at all even a consideration.
    [​IMG]

Even Microsoft it seems has given up on these CPU manufacturers and the latest versions of Windows 10 and subsequent updates are moving towards GPU processing of operating system tasks, due to the fact they are so far ahead of what CPU's can do right now.
    Can see CPU's becoming obsolete in the future and boards capable of using GPU instead.

At this rate by the time Enterprise NCC-001 is put out of star base she will be using an Intel CPU at 6G that doubles as the ships heating climate control.

18. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Intel: "Challenge accepted"

[​IMG]

chispy, sykozis, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  19. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    I think they need to lauch this on winter... so the PC can warm the entire house....
    Come on man... they really think that 5.5Ghz will be able to take the 5950X?!?!?! Even at 6.0Ghz it cant beat it....
    I just cant think WHO wanna buy this toaster... hummm, with sure... the fanboys to play 1080p... LOL!
    Intel, the looser´s choice!

20. Badger2k

Badger2k Guest

GPU:
    HD 520
    Horribly incorrect. Rocket Lake will have at least 10% greater IPC than zen3. Also, Alder Lake(2H 2021) is not just a die shrink, it will be based on a completely new uarch called Golden Cove which will have 35-50% more IPC than current gen.