New 27' VA Panel monitor. Need Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by kapu, Nov 15, 2020.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Hello.

I'm looking for new monitor ..

27' , 144hz (free sync) , VA . 1440p. (over 27 seems too big on normal desk ? )

Any models You can recommend ? Maybe not most expensive ones , abut also not the cheapest ... :)

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    May I ask why VA?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    i hate IPS for "black levels" , i have VA panel now, for me they are the best. I cant stand IPS "bluish tint - dont know how to explain this "

Whats the difference between 24' 1080p vs 27' 1440p in terms of PPI ? It is much visable to naked eye ?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Better contrast ratio, but you need to choose wisely.

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved HDR , what about this model ?
    Samsung C27JG50QQUX Curved .

Which would you say it is better ? im so dumb when try to pick good monitor :/

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'll give you that VA has better blacks, but then again they're still miles off compared to OLED. I'm not saying get an OLED, I'm saying VA blacks are still far from great.

VA does blacks better than IPS but other than that, most of the other important things are done better on IPS. About the blueish tint, no two panels are the same. You'll still have to calibrate your monitor accordingly, the calibration settings will depend on what you're using the monitor for and also the ambient light of the room.

1440p on 27" is higher PPI than 1080p on 24". But, 1080p on 24" is still ok. I would definitely not go for anything above 24" when buying a 1080p screen.

What's your budget?

Obviously, but why put contrast on a pedestal and sacrifice pretty much everything else?

8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You get what you pay for. I suggest try Odyssey g7 is godlike. I have it since day one. Firmware update each month or two. It gets better and better. It's also future proof. You will keep it until pc handles 1440p 240fps gaming or the next generation of consoles.

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You cant buy oled as far i know , and VA for me is the best from current possible tech :p.
    My eyes cant tolerate IPS sorry , just impossible :D

Budget around 350 eur ? .

144hz is good enough i dont want more ., perfer save money for better GPU .

What about models i mentioned ?

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You can, and the best option would be the LG CX 48". If you really want perfect blacks and perfect contrast. And 120hz and Gsync, low input lag, that's the way to go. All that at 4k. But that will not be an option for you, I don't think. Also you'd need a HDMI 2.1 capable GPU, which you don't have.
    You need to tell me what you want? Ultrawide curved? 16:9 curved? 16:9 not curved?

General rule of thumb, ignore HDR on cheap monitors, they will make things look worse more often than not. Out of those 2 I would go for the TUF.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020

11. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I want monitor not TV ( 48' is TV in my standard not monitor that i sit close to , thats why 27' max).

On curved i'd like to hear some opinions .... - i heard you get used to and it doesnt matter much.

Can You recommend any better model , maybe not curved . 16:9 ?

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If you like curved, maybe look into Samsung Odyssey G5, should be in your price range.

Otherwise, I'm not sure, as I'm not into curved monitors one bit.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You find curve a problem ? I just heard some opinions ... some say better some say worse ...
    Any options for same quality flat , lets say comparable to that oddysey G5 ?

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If you watch static image sure, the response time on IPS is horrible and tend to have some worse motion blurring of all panels forget the black issue forget blooming issue and uniformity issue I still refuse to have anything IPS related for person use. I for years only use TN which even they have better blacks the IPS but now I VA panel 4k TV and for VA best mix of TN and IPS, I how ever wont deny IPS is NICE but is horrid id watch fast paced things. I think it look amazing on iphone and ipad completely despise the blurring but look amazing

OLED well it been almost 20 years since that stuff was introduced/annouced and price on those panels are still ridiculously high and good like find them at sizes below 50. I been waiting all this time to be able to get 27" monitor that OLED and TV for how long now? that dont cost arms and legs atlest OLED isnt price like use to be in past few years it been coming down.

Everyone has preference on "panels"

I looking for 27" like him that VA too

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Everyone recommends me IPS panels , but i can't stand them sorry, i always seee "bluish tint" on blacks , it almost hurts my eyes . It must be VA Panel.

I can spend 450 eur if that means quality , i woud consider Odyssey G7 but it's 240hz panel and they charge premium for that , i don't need and i don't want 240hz panel ....

16. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Got the LG 32GK850F 80 cm (32") UltraGearTM QHD Gaming Monitor (144Hz, 1ms MBR, DCI-P3 95%, HDR 400, AMD Radeon FreeSync2).

Gotta say 32" is my personal sweetspot for 1440p gaming atm. Couldn't go back to 27".

PROs
    - crosshair/laserdot function
    - nice blacks without noticeable backlight bleeding
    - stable stand

CONs
    - not curved
    - moving black areas draw shadows behind them - to be expected with VA i guess

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Response time is a non issue on IPS, compared to VA, it's actually better on IPS more often than not. Also, ghosting on VA will be worse than on IPS, generally speaking. You have the things twisted the wrong way round here.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  18. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I think you are correct ,but i don't have problem with mild ghosting , it's not an issue on good VA panels now .

19. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    I can second that. Went from an IPS (too small) to a VA which gives me sleepy eyes because of smeary blacks so i decided to go back a bigger IPS again (32" at least).
    VA is great with blacks and non action games like RTS games or racing - you get a nice hardware motion blur effect on the sides of the screen. But that's about it really.

VA is esp aweful in GTA V or Skyrim at night. Skyrim is the most extreme example. Apparently the grass texture has lots of black dots in them so when you move the mouse the whole landscape becomes darker for as long as you move and suddenly brighter when you stop.

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Indeed, and this is what I meant. IPS is by no means perfect, but overall, it'll end up offering a better experience than VA. VA has better contrast, that's about it.

Also OP, I would suggest going for a 32" screen. While 27" is fine, I'm sat in front of two 27" monitors right now, but honestly, I wish I went 32".

DocStr4ngelove likes this.