AMD's Smart Access Memory: Nvidia equivalent possible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bluedevil, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it requires Gen 3, however not every Gen 3 controller exposes the capability.

2. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Hope it will work with my TR 3960X and RTX 3090.

gamegenie likes this.
  3. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090

Looks like Intel Z490 chipset and up will support it, was hoping 390 would too :(

pharma likes this.
  6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ampere supports it and it will work with the latest AMD motherboards that have SAM. The only question is whether AMD will lock-out Nvidia.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Locking out nvidia isnt smart idea becouse many still prefer their cards and want a new ryzen cpu.

Kevin Mauro likes this.
  8. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Nvidia is probably just angry they couldn't come first to market with something like this. I suspect it wasn't really necessary unless we went beyond 12GB vram or something.

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Sounds like a lockout to me, even though it's not tech they developed but decided to exploit. It will be interesting to see their reaction to Nvidia's announced support for RBAR implementation on intel and amd motherboards. The big question is whether Nvidia's support will trickle to non-Ampere gpu's, though don't see any reason why not since "the cat is out of the bag" and architecture specific performance increases with be normalized.
    https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...-pc-gaming-amd-radeon-rx-6000-series-bringing

10. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    It would be better if they include also Turing gpus not only Ampere

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Actually, AMD did have a hand in developing it, credit where its due. However, it's been optional since gen 3. With gen 4 we might see universal adoption with a time soon when the majority of motherboards will support it. It's inevitable that both AMD and Intel will have it as a standard feature. Hey, 2% is 2% I guess.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  13. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    2 things here:

1) If it is that easy to implement, then Nvidia should be able to do it in short time. I mean, getting a solid 6-11% increase for such a feature being enabled seems like a no brainer to me, but getting so much extra performance that easily via driver/bios update feels too good to be true these days.

2) If Nvidia can implement it and demonstrate across different hardware, then might also be possible on zen2 chips for that extra performance (and make AMD have to support it).