MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    PSA: Wake from sleep bsod is in the driver, do not bother Unwinder about it, its not his fault.

2. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    Well frack....
    And I wanted to ask if the 6800XT uses the same VRMs as the 6800 or 6900XT.
    But it's often been you waiting for GPU's if I remember correctly.

about 15 years younger.
    SCNR
    But the movie is cool. You should watch it.

3. TheRealKaldaien

TheRealKaldaien Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti K|NGP|N
    Just FYI, RTSS crashes in D3D12 games that use the full 15 backbuffers afforded to them by the DXGI specification. I think you may have underestimated the amount of command queues a game might have ;)

GSDragoon and Dark.talon like this.
  4. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    What in the everloving frack

5. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    RTSS is reading from nvapi, HWMon is reading from a GPU Engine.

7. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    I am sorry but it doesn't tell me much even when I googled it now.

Question is, 97-98 usage reported from nvapi is ok, or something wrong with my hardware?
    Benchmarks and some games use 99% GPU, but very heavy lifting games like - Metro Exodus with RTX, DLSS, etc are hovering at 97-98% use. (RDR2 is also does that)
    If it's a wrong thread for this - my apologies.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    GPU reporters are made up many different engines, nvapi groups them based on type and displays them as a Total of all of them out of 100%.

HWMon best guesses from perfmon reporters, it may omit usage that nvidia chooses to include in their GPU util measurement.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 4 build 15910 is available for download. Changes list is short, this beta is mainly intended to add Zen3 CPU monitoring support:

- Added Zen3 CPU monitoring
    - Added internal "Memory usage / process" and "RAM usage / process" graphs based on async process performance counter access interface introduced by the latest RTSS. Unlike GPU.dll plugin, those sources support in-process VRAM and RAM reporting for EAC/BattlEye protected and UWP titles.
    - RTSS has been upgraded to the latest 7.3.0 beta 9

Also please take a note that there is NO official RADEON 6000 family support inside yet. My 6800XT sample is still on the way from MSI to me, it will take a while to arrive and to finalize full hardware support implementation. I hope that it is a question of couple weeks. But according to reviewer reports everything monitoring related already works as is, the only part that needs update is a clock control (i.e. overclocking).

Grab it here:
    https://download-eu2.guru3d.com/afterburner/[Guru3D]-MSIAfterburnerSetup463Beta4Build15910.rar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2020
    HARDRESET, enkoo1, shaga and 19 others like this.
  10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Thanks for the new beta.Got my cpu temps back.:)

Lily GFX and Unwinder like this.

11. SDEagle

SDEagle Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 SLI

Hello Unwinder, somewhat a noob here, and thanks for for all the details & newer beta 3 to "fix" the fan curve issue temporarily. I also searched the thread but could not find the exact answer that I was looking for. So, apologize if this was asked before somewhere else.

I'm currently on AB 4.6.2 stable version, and this is my custom fan curve:
    • 80C -> 90% fan (works)
    • 68C -> 75% (works)
    • 62C -> 62% (works)
    • 55C -> 45% (works)
    • ------But fan goes 0% the moment it hits 50C-----
    • 45C -> 27% (doesn't work as the fan is already stopped)
    • Below 40C -> 0% (doesn't matter as the fan is already stopped)
    Although my Vision OC 3080 never reaches 70C even with hours of 4K gaming, unfortunately the fans tick up/down when it drops down to 50C for a while and stops completely below 50C ignoring AB's custom fan curve. I noticed AB's custom fan curve works as expected above 50C, but the problem occurs only when temp drops down to 50C or below.

So my question is, will the new beta 3 version fixes the issue that I'm seeing above (highlighted in Bold)? Or would you recommend me to edit my fan curve in such a way that the fan runs at 30% all the time no matter what the temp is below 50C?

Really appreciate your inputs on this. Thank you.

12. SDEagle

SDEagle Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 SLI
    Update
    Combination of older driver 456.71 + AB 4.6.3 Beta 3 fixed my issue, and I can now control fan speed however I want from 0% corresponding to card's temperature. Thanks for the Beta 3 version, Unwinder.

13. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Imprtant note related to MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 beta 4 build 15910:

Please keep in mind that new "Memory usage / process" and "RAM usage / process" graphs take data from each process via RTSS shared memory interface. It means that NO data be available on those graphs when RTSS is not running. Currently new graphs are enabled by default but I do not force MSI AB to start RTSS to supply data to them yet. In future versions I'll make those 2 graphs disabled by default and RTSS will be autostarted by MSI AB as soon as you enable them (similar to "Framerate" / "Frametime" graphs). I'll also remove those graphs from the list on the systems with no RTSS installed.

HARDRESET and Falkentyne like this.
  14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Thank you for the new beta and thank you for all of your help with AB and support all of these years!
    Also if you remember me asking about scanline sync, the problem I had with it and fast-sync had nothing to do with AB and everything to do with whoever is building Nvidia's 3090 FE cards (probably Palit or Colorful is Nvidia's supplier). The card was having sync problems (funny enough, vsync on did not show this) due to PCB hotspot problems with the thermal pads. Looks like the pads on my 3090 were even done less thoroughly than Nvidia's updated 3080 FE pads, as one of the hotspots covered with new 3080 pads wasn't even there on the 3090!

When I modified my 3090 with new high quality pads and added more to make it like the 3080, all my fast sync+scanline sync stutters were gone.
    It's pretty strange that the "Thermal" flag never appeared however. Just massive frame stuttering with fast sync on, (big stutters)

My final work (Later changed from Arctic 1.5mm pads to Thermalright Odyssey 1.5mm pads completely).

https://i.imgur.com/kqr9awC.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I just found out about this problem. It happens to me only when setting a customized fan profile from ab beta 3, no oc or downvolting. Not here to ask for assistance, just pointing out.

16. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    The article titled "GDDR6X at the limit? Over 100 degrees measured inside of the chip with the GeForce RTX 3080 FE! | Investigative", linked at the top of the article "NVIDIA copies the Pad-Mod from igorsLAB for the GeForce RTX 3080 FE to smooth the hotspot for the GDDR6X" (your second link), begins thus:

Maybe the flag only considers user-accessible sensors?

17. Scorpion3811

Scorpion3811 Member

GPU:
    ALL
    Please keep this stuff out of the development forums!! Unwinder has asked several times!

Thank you!

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  19. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I don't have any problem at all running Grid 2 with RTSS? o_O

grid2_avx_2020_11_29_12_24_38_783.jpg grid2_avx_2020_11_29_12_24_54_053.jpg