First PlayStation 5 that died was due to its SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    Meanwhile Xbox just went with a simple m.2 slot

2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    How is m.2 not mature? is like 5 years old?

3. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    xbox: you got 50% less chance for burnt out ssd when you got 50% less storage
    <black guy doing "thinking" motion meme>

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @TheDeeGee
    ?
    lol, even at only 3rd gen x4 is ~3500MB/s vs ~550MB/s.
    not sure where you get 1s difference, unless of course you play 8 bit games..

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The benchmarks are out there, tons of them on youtube.

Kevin Mauro and TheDeeGee like this.
  6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Kevin Mauro likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wow that was fast on day one the reports started...

I tried to order one at walmart.com and could not get past "review and order" button and by time I could get it to load to submit it was sold out so I guess my bank is saved 540$ for now

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    Cmon gurus, benchmarks showing no difference in sata VS nvme game loading is akin to pentium VS i9 in portal 2
    As soon as next gen games show up expecting nvme drives, hdd will be unplayable and sata nand will choke on low textures, it's already a thing, star citizen is unplayable on hdd

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    In other words: screw benchmarks. look at my crystal ball instead
    :D

no1 is talking about HDD

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    They praised how fast it is not how durable.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sooner or later people and sony will realize the speed wasnt worth the cost those drives are a Standard SSD that does 550/500 would more then enough would been huge diffrence consider to this gen they were ALL using 5400rpm hdd

12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Sure keep looking at those benchmarks and youtube vids, i can shuffle files around my drives instantaneously, load games /programs in seconds not to mention have zero old-skool sata wires tangled round my mobo.
    Also the fact these nvme drives are the size of a credit card is handy no?
    You enjoy your hdd please but can't we enjoy our nvme drives at same time?

fry178 likes this.
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Without comparing it to HDD?

Evidently no :D

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Never said the speed isnt good, I said the cost for speed and lack space is not worth it... I have SSD in my PC and would never go back HDD, but would also NEVER spend the 200$ a NVME is for 1 tb let alone 400$ the 2 tb are. From normal consumer point view they are not.. Lot people when tell them to get SSD for PC they say no the cost is not worth it to them. why would "I" pay 100 for 1tb SSD when I get 4TB hdd for that price?

All the isnane speed come at huge cost which it price and lack of space. now if Sony/MS gamble pays off with these drive and it force the cost of drive to drop dramatically that is different story.
    NVME drive are anything but common place on PC due to cost this what everyone around here seem to want to forget let alone the fact this is enthusiast forums we are minority when come to this stuff bleed edge tech, just like everyone here thing everyone OC their systems among other things.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    DannyD likes this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's true the new drives are expensive but so is lot of hardware nowadays, like mobos for ex. though they feature so much more now.
    End of the day i for one ain't buying a plastic looking white elephant to play spiderman on, i'm actually leaning towards xbox if i get a console now after seeing how ps5 looks. Even in black i dunno if it would look less plastic.
    That being said it would need to be one whopper of a game for the $500 admittance fee.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVMe drives don't really have a size or cable advantage over SATA drives since both come in M.2 form factor....
    There is M.2 NVMe and M.2 SATA...

The benchmarks that Noisiv included, are real world. They are as accurate as you can get for performance data. There have also been "blind studies" done comparing SATA and NVMe. The results of the "blind study" were that nobody could tell the difference.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    When i'm moving a 10gb mkv file, or a 50gb game install, i can tell the difference.

fry178 likes this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I like Star Citizen but... I would never ever use it as a reference or benchmark in any way. It's always been "art first, we'll figure out the technology after", probably because art is what is selling ships and whatnot. (Hello DX11 with countless drawcalls everywhere with extremely detailed ships cities and characters, 50players MMO with lifeless planets - literally no wild life or such)

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're also providing a "best case scenario"..... If the drive is both reading from and writing to itself, or another NVMe drive, the transaction happens at or near full speed. Most people aren't moving 10gb+ files around on a regular basis. For most users, the only time they'll notice any performance difference between M.2 SATA and NVMe, is when installing applications or games that are stored on the same drive. Application launch time only improves by a few milliseconds on NVMe vs SATA.

If you need a 1TB or smaller drive, NVMe is price competitive with SATA, so it makes sense to buy whichever is cheaper at that moment. If you need 2TB or more, SATA wins on price. The performance difference, for the average user, is negligible in daily use..... Unless your typical daily use involves moving large files around, NVMe has little real world benefit.

carnivore and DannyD like this.
  20. neatfeatguy

neatfeatguy Guest

GPU:
    980Ti AMP! Omega
    Sadly it could be poor coding of something on Sony's part and have nothing to do with the SSDs themselves.

A company I worked at some years back, they were making use of NUCs for some of their clients and the company had been working on writing some security software to prevent unwanted access to their programs, should someone physically steal a NUC or just try to access one at the physical store location. The company wanted to make sure that their proprietary software was locked down to prevent access to it so no one could steal it because they were one of the first companies to offer this product.

I don't recall the specifics of the situation, but something they did with the creation of their security software kept reading and writing, over and over and over and over and over and over again and it was causing the SSDs to have errors after a few months of a new NUC being in operation due to massive amounts of read/writes happening.

Issues that would come up on the monitors for customers from this problem:
    • No storage space message in Windows
    • BSODs
    • Proprietary software crashes
    • Loss of network issues
    Eventually a lot of the NUCs started showing messages about no boot device. It took the company a bit of digging to find out that they screwed up with the security software they wrote for their proprietary software. It took them about 6 months to re-write their security software from the ground up to fix the issue. In the mean time, myself and the other senior technicians had the job of baby sitting the few thousand NUCs out there by remoting into the computers when the proprietary software didn't call home or when customers called with issues. Eventually all NUCs had to be replaced simply because of the failing SSDs from the massive amounts of read/writes happening, it was inevitable. Once the fixed security software was working as intended myself and the other senior techs had the fun job of remoting into thousands of devices to uninstall the old security software and re-install the new security software.....and it wasn't a simple uninstall from the Control Panel, either. It actually required someone to have physical access to the NUCs because for some stupid reason the security software, once accessed killed network connectivity and someone physically had to use a mouse and keyboard to input the daily random password generated at the company's end....huge pain in the butt all around.

chinobino, doorspaulo and Loobyluggs like this.