Google will stop free unlimited photo storage starting next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    Man am so pissed with Google, it seems its MO is to offer any service for free get loads of folks to buy into it then either cancel the service or convert it to a paid service so they have no choice but to pay or lose the services, this is the last time after play Music I will bother to use them, in future I will just use my own online 10tb cloud storage

Brasky, Ricardo and chinobino like this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Nobody believe me that everything from Google or Amazon is evil... lol
    Don't use them :)

4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    That really bugged me as well. I didn't switch to youtube and just found a simple mp3 player. frack them.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It is annoying but that's what happens when people take advantage of nice things and ruin it for everyone else. Storage isn't actually free and these days it's common for cameras to take 10MB+ photos. Not only does that add up quickly, but people have no incentive to delete crappy photos when they can store as much as they want. Although I think going from unlimited to 15GB is rather steep, Google is a business and too many users of the service are just a really deep money pit.

Blame the wannabee photographers and "influencers" for this.

gmavignier likes this.
  6. suty455

suty455 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090
    I pay a Family plan for unlimited so really it doesnt affect me but i bet its going to affect me when I want to download my images, on the music platform for example I have 720gb of Music if I wanted to download all that to move it elsewhere they snip it into 2gb pieces to download one at a time, I can download that 720gb in a few minutes via my seedbox if they let me but no lets make it awkward no concern when uploading just when you want YOUR data back, but i did it and the resulting zip file says its corrupted so i had to delete it A**holes
    Anyway I keep a copy of all the data on my PC just not the playlists etc so its being uploaded to the cloud and they can go screw after that, I will buy a huawei next time to make sure I have no google stuff!

7. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    These paid subscription services really always bother me. I use an iPhone and decided to pay for iCloud to better backup my and my wife's pictures. I do like it, but it takes forever to automatically sync files between devices. Latter I got OneDrive "for free" with Office 365. Works great on PC but not so much on my phone. Then there is Google Photos/Drive where most of my pictures are... Not to mention Netflix, AppleTV, Amazon Prime, Spotify and so on. By the end of the month it's easy to spend 100 dollars on these services alone.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What better reason to take the bull by the horns and have your own cloud storage. NextCloud is free, now easy to set up and you have control of your data.
    You pay with hardware, time and knowledge.

gmavignier likes this.
  9. gmavignier

gmavignier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    For these you must have an internet connection with static IP right? Mine is dynamic and my ISP charges an arm and a leg to make it static. I am better off paying all those services in the end.

I am not complaining about price all that much. More like the information being all over the place.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, no.
    Dynamic DNS is there to help.
    DynDNS, No-ip, DuckDNS...there are so many solutions and free ones also.
    Just search for guides and you will be blown away about the whole thing.
    Even more, everyday a lot devices, like NASes offer their version of personal cloud, or the very NextCloud software as a package or the direct binaries.
    Even better, NextCloud comes with its own plugins and one can have cloud storage and collaboration software built-in.

gmavignier and SamuelL421 like this.

11. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    This is solid advice. Importantly, if you aren't comfortable with the DIY server or networking components you easily setup a consumer NAS. QNAP and Synology both have entry level models that offer cloud functionality, mobile apps for android/iOS, etc... Worth mentioning they also take into account that home users will have a basic network setup and generally a dynamic IP.

gmavignier likes this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, I've already committed my wallet to icloud storage for photos so I guess I'll just migrate my library to that.

13. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i think its time to revive my buried server and owncloud service.

14. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Hmm...What happened to "Don't be evil"?

Oh...I forgot:

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The Owncloud was forked and improved.
    NextCloud is where it's at. And if you infuse your own Nextcloud with OnlyOffice software, you have a killer combination.
    Understand, maybe it's not at enterprise levels, but it's close.

isidore likes this.